NewsML Feeds and XHTML Translation

  • j_lappa
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2008
      Hello,

      I am a web designer for a financial reporting company. Recently we
      started receiving NewsML formatted feeds from our media provider. I
      have looked into NewsML and am very impressed with its rich feature
      set. However, I am at a loss as how to translate the xml based
      structure into xhtml. I have a few questions if any of you can provide
      me with some insight:

      1. How does one translate a NewsML feed (into XHTML)?
      2. Are any of you using XSLT technology in order to translate the feeds?
      3. What are some good resources for NewsML developers?

      I am trying to find an entry point to produce a given feed into a file
      suited for a web browser. If you have any information that can help me
      please respond.

      Thank you,

      Jason Lappa
      Sr. Web Designer
      SNL Financial
    • Laurent LE MEUR
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2008
        Hi Jason,

        To answer to your questions:

        1 & 2. Yes, in order to display news items (or collections of news items) on web pages, we are usually using XSLT from NewsML1 to XHTML (or HTML).
        We even provide to AFP customers (on demand) a simple XSLT toolkit to do so. We also alternatively provide a simple Java app that stores the content of news items in a RDBMS (therefore HTML can be generated via ASP/JSP/PHP pages). But most NewsML users develop their own receiver application.
        Be careful that real life NewsML implementation vary from providers to providers.

        3. The best guideline is without contest the NewsML guidelines at:
        www.newsml.org/IPTC/NewsML/1.2/documentation/NewsML_1.2-doc-Guidelines_1.00.pdf
        but you could also read my old NewsML for dummies still at:
        http://xml.coverpages.org/NewsMLForDummies.pdf

        Re applications, Reuters has created a long time ago a Java toolkit on SourceForge for their NewsML flavor.

        Laurent Le Meur
        AFP

        This e-mail, and any file transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.

        For more information on Agence France-Presse, please visit our web site at http://www.afp.com