RE: [newsml] Re: Identifying story threads from NewsML

  • Jayson Lorenzen
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 2008
      Thanks Laurent, I agree it would be good to have in the Guidelines. It would be interesting to see how others are doing this and I hope this thread continues a bit (hint hint to all lurkers).

      Jayson Lorenzen
      Senior Software Engineer
      ____________________________
      B U S I N E S S W I R E
      A Berkshire Hathaway Company

      +1.415.986.4422, ext. 766
      +1.415.956.2609 (fax)
      www.BusinessWire.com

      Business Wire/San Francisco
      44 Montgomery St. 39th Floor
      San Francisco, CA 94104

      >>> laurent.lemeur@... 05/02/08 10:09 PM >>>
      >
      > [Laurent Le Meur: Currently most wires use a slug term for this
      > purpose (ex. OLY2008)]
      >
      > Could you please expand on that?

      Doing it the old way: choosing a keyword and inserting it in the slug for all stories. Most news agencies must still accommodate with old formats and practices.

      Re NewsML 1 solutions: AssociatedWith (and DerivedFrom) relate a news item to another news item.

      If you want to associate a news item with an entity (an event, a recurring topic...) there is a solution in NewsML 1:

      TopicOccurrence = An indication that a particular topic occurs within the content of a NewsComponent. The optional HowPresent attribute indicates the nature of that topic's occurrence. The value of the Topic attribute must consist of a # character followed by the value of the Duid attribute of a Topic in the current document.

      It is a little complex to use (you need a local Topic structure), but I guess you'll find some information in the "NewsML 1.2 guidelines", available on the IPTC Web site.

      By the way it would be good to have a NewsML 1 agreed upon solution for this, inserted in the guidelines.

      Laurent Le Meur

      This e-mail, and any file transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.

      For more information on Agence France-Presse, please visit our web site at http://www.afp.com
    • Paul Harman
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 2008
        From: newsml@yahoogroups.com [mailto:newsml@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
        Of Jayson Lorenzen
        > Thanks Laurent, I agree it would be good to have in the
        > Guidelines. It would be interesting to see how others
        > are doing this and I hope this thread continues a bit
        > (hint hint to all lurkers).

        PA runs on a 24-hour news cycle. Our wire services are driven using
        NITF, so we use du-key/@key and @version to indicate the threading of
        our stories, with series/@series-part to indicate how pieces of the
        story join together. Our du-key/@key is derived from the slugline.

        In newsML terms, we map du-key/@key onto NewsItemId - so stories can
        grow and have write-throughs whilst retainign the sane NewsItemId. We
        spot parent and child stories, and use AssociatedWith to link up fromt
        he child to the parent, and NewsItemRef in a
        NewsComponent[/Role/@FormalName='Supporting'] hierarchy to link down
        from parents to children.

        Unfortunately what we don't have is a mechanism for carrying stories
        across multiple days. Having not had the discussion with Editorial about
        long-running stories and whether they really do 'replace' each other
        across days, I'm not sure of we'd keep re-using the sane NewsItemId and
        DateId and just jeep increasing RevisionId - if not, I think we'd create
        a new dateId/NewsItemId pair and use DerivedFrom to point to yesterday's
        story.

        Paul

        This e-mail is from the PA Group. For more information, see www.thepagroup.com.
        This e-mail may contain confidential information.
        Only the addressee is permitted to read, copy, distribute or otherwise use this email or any attachments.
        If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately.
        Any opinion expressed in this e-mail is personal to the sender and may not reflect the opinion of the PA Group.
        Any e-mail reply to this address may be subject to interception or monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.