NewsManagement element model limitations - questions...

  • sean.upton@uniontrib.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2007
      Hi NewsML folks. I'm working on a NewsML content serialization/export
      system for an online CMS, and have noticed two model limitations in the
      NewsML 1.2 NewsManagement element that I'm interested in getting input
      on (for workarounds or best practices):

      1. NewsItemType is singular. This only expresses an "is a" relationship
      for an item. Some content models need "as a" relationships to
      supplement this. Specifications like JSR-170 (Java Content Repository)
      call these "mixins" - my Python/Zope based CMS calls them "flavors." An
      item might be a "story" type, but be "film review" or "press release" as
      a flavor. Items may have more than one "flavor" - for example, we have
      instances of articles that are both "restaurant profile" and "bar
      profile" - where we are reviewing an establishment that is both a bar
      and a restaurant. For cross-media journalism, many problems cease to
      look as simple as "articles" alone: a "story" might also be an event
      profile with fielded calendar data, or information about a place with
      geographic data for map mashups. I'm assuming I can use Property
      elements to represent this (in NewsManagement or in in
      DescriptiveMetadata for a NewsComponent), but can multiple Property
      elements use the same FormalName attribute (since FormalName is a string
      in schema, not an IDREF)?

      2. Status is singular. A cross-media workflow might have per-product or
      per-activity status. An item in production for print might have
      different status in print ("story is published, plated") than online
      ("story is waiting for online people to create a flash applet around the
      packaged graphic originally produced for print") - if one had a need to
      represent multiple state names for different processes using the same
      content item in a single NewsML file, how would one do this? The only
      way I can think of doing this is multiple NewsItem elements (one per
      process/activity/product in a workflow) with references back to
      NewsComponent elements containing actual content in a single canonical
      NewsItem within in the file, but this seems really messy (is there a
      better way?).

      Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Sean

      Sean Upton SignOnSanDiego.com
      Site Technology Supervisor The San Diego Union-Tribune
      619.718.5241 sean.upton@...
      350 Camino De La Reina San Diego, CA 92108

      Plone Powered! plone.org ++ python.org ++ zope.org
    • Laurent LE MEUR
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 23, 2007
        Hi Sean,

        Re 1. NewsItemType is a basic indication of the type of Item: values are News, Data, Advisory, Alert ... NewsItemType is completed by a multiple Genre element which indicates the editorial nature or form (or flavor) of the content. A "film review" is a genre.

        Re the question "can multiple Property elements use the same FormalName attribute (since FormalName is a string in schema, not an IDREF)"?
        The answer is yes: it makes a provider defined property repeatable.

        Re status repeatable, you're the first raising this idea I think. It is neither covered by NewsML1.x not currently by NewsML-G2. Be careful: this Status is useful for the exchange of news in a B2B environment, not for an internal workflow (it seems that your use case is linked to internal workflows).

        Cheers
        Laurent Le Meur
        AFP

        This e-mail, and any file transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.

        For more information on Agence France-Presse, please visit our web site at http://www.afp.com
      • Takahiro Fujiwara
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 23, 2007
          Hi Sean, Laurent,

          UsageRights subtreee can be used for corss-media permission. FYI,
          although there is no controlled vocabulary, UsageRights subtree is not
          a perfect for automatic processing everywhere.

          If you want to do with Status element for it, create a new NewsItem with
          NewsComponent which has NewsItemRef elements. The referred NewsItem has
          a real content. In case of cross-media, I think the contents will be
          not the same one - e.g. short text and small picture for PDA, middle
          length text and picture for Web, long text and large picture for paper.
          So NewsItemRef is a reasonable resolution, I think.

          As Sean said, you can use Property element for any purpose, including
          geographic data. In this case, you have to inform the use of Property
          element to your receiver.

          Regards,
          NewsML1 vice chair
          Takahiro Fujiwara

          Re 1. NewsItemType is a basic indication of the type of Item: values are
          News, Data, Advisory, Alert ... NewsItemType is completed by a multiple
          Genre element which indicates the editorial nature or form (or flavor)
          of the content. A "film review" is a genre.

          Re information mashups (e.g. an article about a place + geographic
          data), NewsML1.x is not oriented this way: this is one of the main
          NewsML-G2 new feature. Join http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/newsml-g2
          if you are interested.

          Re the question "can multiple Property elements use the same FormalName
          attribute (since FormalName is a string in schema, not an IDREF)"?
          The answer is yes: it makes a provider defined property repeatable.

          Re status repeatable, you're the first raising this idea I think. It is
          neither covered by NewsML1.x not currently by NewsML-G2. Be careful:
          this Status is useful for the exchange of news in a B2B environment, not
          for an internal workflow (it seems that your use case is linked to
          internal workflows).

          Cheers
          Laurent Le Meur
          AFP

          Any member of this IPTC moderated Yahoo group must comply with the
          Intellectual Property Policy of the IPTC, available at