NewsML - NewsItem RevisionID

  • Dhamanwala Mayur
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 5, 2006
      NewsML - NewsItem RevisionID

      Hi

      As per the guidelines, the RevisionID for NewsItem should be integer, can the RevisionID be decimal such as 1.1,1.2 where integer part is the Major version and decimal part is the minor version.

      Thanks,
      Mayur

      This email is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you receive this email in error, please delete it immediately. This email may contain information which is confidential and/or legally privileged. You must not use or disclose the contents of this email, or add the sender's email address to any database, list or mailing list unless you are expressly authorised to do so.

      The statements or views expressed in this email are those of the individual sender and are not those of Australian Associated Press Pty Ltd (AAP). These statements are not binding on AAP, except where the sender expressly and with authority, states them to be.

      AAP is unable to review the contents of all the email on its system. To the extent permitted by law, AAP disclaims all liability for any loss or damage caused by the contents of this email.
    • Laurent Le Meur
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 7, 2006
        NewsML - NewsItem RevisionID

        Hi,

        No, the RevisionID has been modelled as an integer, mechanically incremented each time the NewsItem is updated (metadata or content update).

        A more complex versioning can still be expressed via other means, eg integrated in the NameLabel or as a specific extra-Label.

        Regards

        Laurent Le Meur

        AFP

[...]

        This e-mail, and any file transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individ ual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sende r and delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distr ibute or copy this email.

        For more information on Agence France-Presse, please visit our web site at http://www.afp.com

      • John Cowan
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 7, 2006
          Laurent Le Meur scripsit:

          > No, the RevisionID has been modelled as an integer, mechanically
          > incremented each time the NewsItem is updated (metadata or content
          > update).

          To clarify: the RevisionID need not be incremented *by 1*, if I understand
          correctly. For example, it would be correct to use a timestamp expressed
          as an integer such as 20060606161642. Clients are not entitled to assume
          that there have been 20,060,606,161,641 previous revisions....

          --
          Using RELAX NG compact syntax to John Cowan <cowan@...>
          develop schemas is one of the simple http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
            From: newsml@yahoogroups.com [mailto:newsml@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of
            John Cowan
            > To clarify: the RevisionID need not be incremented *by 1*, if
            > I understand
            > correctly. For example, it would be correct to use a
            > timestamp expressed
            > as an integer such as 20060606161642. Clients are not
            > entitled to assume
            > that there have been 20,060,606,161,641 previous revisions....

            I believe you are correct - there is no requirement for it to start from 1
            and go up by 1 each time, so timestamping might be a suitable approach for
            some providers in some circumstances.

            RevisionId can be used to "sort" revisions into newest first because the
            newest one has the biggest number. In a filtered multi-unicat syndication
            environment, recipients may not receive all revisions of a document; and in
            some cases NewsML providers might not be able to apply sequential revision
            IDs (e.g. if they are translating into NewsML from some other format at
            transmit time).

            However in these circumstances, what value would the provider use for
            PreviousRevision? We are assuming they have nowhere to "remember" this
            information, otherwise they would be using sequence numbers anyway rather
            than timestamps...

            Paul

            This e-mail is from the PA Group. For more information, see
            www.thepagroup.com.

            This e-mail may contain confidential information. Only the addressee is
            permitted to read, copy, distribute or otherwise use this email or any
            attachments. If you have received it in error, please contact the sender
            immediately. Any opinion expressed in this e-mail is personal to the sender
            and may not reflect the opinion of the PA Group.

            Any e-mail reply to this address may be subject to interception or
            monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.
          • mdhaman_25
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
              > RevisionId can be used to "sort" revisions into newest first
              because the
              > newest one has the biggest number. In a filtered multi-unicat
              syndication
              > environment, recipients may not receive all revisions of a
              document; and in
              > some cases NewsML providers might not be able to apply sequential
              revision
              > IDs (e.g. if they are translating into NewsML from some other
              format at
              > transmit time).
              >
              > However in these circumstances, what value would the provider use
              for
              > PreviousRevision? We are assuming they have nowhere to "remember"
              this
              > information, otherwise they would be using sequence numbers anyway
              rather
              > than timestamps...
              >
              > Paul

              Does it mean that you can have incremental RevisionID (using
              timestamp) and not to worry about the PreviousRevision at all
              i.e. whenever a NewsItem is published, just incremented the
              RevisionID and keep PreviousRevision as "0" in all cases.
              For example,
              version 1:
              <RevisionId PreviousRevision="0"
              Update="N">20060909111545</RevisionId>

              version 2:
              <RevisionId PreviousRevision="0"
              Update="N">20060909151545</RevisionId>

              version 3:
              <RevisionId PreviousRevision="0"
              Update="N">20060910041545</RevisionId>

              and so on...

              Thanks,
              Mayur
            • shinotsuka hiroshi
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                Would you keep in mind that NewsML 1 spec says not only to put the value of
                PreviousRevision but also to keep NewsML URN(variable DateId, NewsItemId are
                included) through all revisions of NewsML documents? So, I think that you
                would keep these current version values( DateId, NewsItemId,
                PreviousRevision etc) in your systems and add new RevisionId when revision
                be created or published.
                And PreviousRevision can't have "0". Because the RevisionId is positive
                integer and the PreviousRevision has the larger value must be the more
                recent revision.

                Best regards,
                Hiroshi

                >> RevisionId can be used to "sort" revisions into newest first
                > because the
                >> newest one has the biggest number. In a filtered multi-unicat
                > syndication
                >> environment, recipients may not receive all revisions of a
                > document; and in
                >> some cases NewsML providers might not be able to apply sequential
                > revision
                >> IDs (e.g. if they are translating into NewsML from some other
                > format at
                >> transmit time).
                >>
                >> However in these circumstances, what value would the provider use
                > for
                >> PreviousRevision? We are assuming they have nowhere to "remember"
                > this
                >> information, otherwise they would be using sequence numbers anyway
                > rather
                >> than timestamps...
                >>
                >> Paul
                >

                > Does it mean that you can have incremental RevisionID (using
                > timestamp) and not to worry about the PreviousRevision at all
                > i.e. whenever a NewsItem is published, just incremented the
                > RevisionID and keep PreviousRevision as "0" in all cases.
                > For example,
                > version 1:
                > <RevisionId PreviousRevision="0"
                > Update="N">20060909111545</RevisionId>
                >
                > version 2:
                > <RevisionId PreviousRevision="0"
                > Update="N">20060909151545</RevisionId>
                >
                > version 3:
                > <RevisionId PreviousRevision="0"
                > Update="N">20060910041545</RevisionId>
                >
                > and so on...
                >

                > Thanks,
                > Mayur
                >

                > Find more on NewsML at http://www.newsml.org

                > http://www.iptc.org/goto/ipp. Any posting is assumed to be submitted under
                > the conditions of this IPTC IP Policy.
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • shinotsuka hiroshi
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                  Sorry, I correct my last sentence.

                  > And PreviousRevision can't have "0". Because the RevisionId is positive
                  > integer and the PreviousRevision has the larger value must be the more
                  > recent revision.

                  The PreviousRevision can't alway have "0" through all revisions of NewsML
                  documents. Because PreviousRevision="0" means the first version.

                  Thanks,

                • Takahiro Fujiwara
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                    Hiroshi, nice!!
                    At last, I understood what you want to say.

                    I think there is nothing unclear point. Here are the sentences from
                    NewsML1.2 Guideline.
                    ==
                    The RevisionId is an integer indicating the specific revision of a given
                    NewsItem. Any positive integer may be used, but if two instances of a
                    NewsItem have the same ProviderId, DateId and NewsItemId, the one whose
                    RevisionId has the larger value must be the more recent revision. A
                    RevisionId of 0 is not permitted.
                    The PreviousRevision attribute must be present, and its value must be equal
                    to the content of the RevisionId element of the NewsItem's previous
                    revision, if there is one, and 0 if the NewsItem has no previous revision.
                    ==

                    Regards,
                    Takahiro Fujiwara
                    IPTC NewsML1 Maintenace WP, Vice Chair

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 12, 2006
                      From: newsml@yahoogroups.com [mailto:newsml@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of
                      mdhaman_25
                      > Does it mean that you can have incremental RevisionID (using
                      > timestamp) and not to worry about the PreviousRevision at all
                      > i.e. whenever a NewsItem is published, just incremented the
                      > RevisionID and keep PreviousRevision as "0" in all cases.

                      Well, not according to the details of the NewsML v1 specification, no. But
                      pragmatically that's perhaps the least worst option for providers who find
                      themselves in the situation I described.

                      Remember the most likely processing model for RevisionId is for the receiver
                      to examine the RevisionId they received last time, and replace the NewsItem
                      if the new RevisionId is greater. The receiver may not have received an item
                      with the correctly-written PreviousRevision, so PreviousRevision is
                      effectively meaningless from the recipient's point of view.

                      All in my opinion, of course...

                      Paul

                      This e-mail is from the PA Group. For more information, see
                      www.thepagroup.com.

                      This e-mail may contain confidential information. Only the addressee is
                      permitted to read, copy, distribute or otherwise use this email or any
                      attachments. If you have received it in error, please contact the sender
                      immediately. Any opinion expressed in this e-mail is personal to the sender
                      and may not reflect the opinion of the PA Group.

                      Any e-mail reply to this address may be subject to interception or
                      monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.
                    • Dave Compton
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 12, 2006
                        >Remember the most likely processing model for RevisionId is for the receiver
                        to examine the RevisionId they received last time, and replace the NewsItem
                        if the new RevisionId is greater. The receiver may not have received an item
                        with the correctly-written PreviousRevision, so PreviousRevision is
                        effectively meaningless from the recipient's point of view.

                        Conversely, where a contiguous set of revisions is expected, the recipient may *check* the RevisionId to ensure that the current RevisionId = PreviousRevision+1.
                        DC

                        > Does it mean that you can have incremental RevisionID
                        (using
                        > timestamp) and not to worry about the PreviousRevision at all
                        > i.e. whenever a NewsItem is published, just incremented the

                        RevisionID and keep PreviousRevision as "0" in all cases.

                        Well, not according to the details of the NewsML v1 specification, no. But
                        pragmatically that's perhaps the least worst option for providers who find
                        themselves in the situation I described.

                        Remember the most likely processing model for RevisionId is for the receiver
                        to examine the RevisionId they received last time, and replace the NewsItem
                        if the new RevisionId is greater. The receiver may not have received an item
                        with the correctly-written PreviousRevision, so PreviousRevision is
                        effectively meaningless from the recipient's point of view.

                        All in my opinion, of course...

                        Paul

                        This e-mail is from the PA Group. For more information, see
                        www.thepagroup. com.

                        This e-mail may contain confidential information. Only the addressee is
                        permitted to read, copy, distribute or otherwise use this email or any
                        attachments. If you have received it in error, please contact the sender
                        immediately. Any opinion expressed in this e-mail is personal to the sender
                        and may not reflect the opinion of the PA Group.

                        Any e-mail reply to this address may be subject to interception or
                        monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.

                        Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Ltd.
                      • Paul Harman
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 12, 2006
                          From: newsml@yahoogroups.com [mailto:newsml@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of
                          Dave Compton
                          > Conversely, where a contiguous set of revisions is expected,
                          > the recipient may *check* the RevisionId to ensure that the
                          > current RevisionId = PreviousRevision+1.

                          True; in a one-to-one publishing environment (say) where the link is not
                          necessarily guaranteed, it may be important for the recipienty to spot if
                          they have missed something - expecially if the service provided by the
                          NewsML supplier uses the update mechanism, rather than being a replace-all
                          service.

                          I would however welcome the NewsML v2 equivalent of PreviousRevision to be
                          made optional.

                          Paul

                          This e-mail is from the PA Group. For more information, see
                          www.thepagroup.com.

                          This e-mail may contain confidential information. Only the addressee is
                          permitted to read, copy, distribute or otherwise use this email or any
                          attachments. If you have received it in error, please contact the sender
                          immediately. Any opinion expressed in this e-mail is personal to the sender
                          and may not reflect the opinion of the PA Group.

                          Any e-mail reply to this address may be subject to interception or
                          monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.
                        • Darko Gulija
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 12, 2006
                            The risk is that some systems, when they get the NewsItem with
                            PreviousRevision=0, may assume that it is the first revision (spec does not
                            say that the first revision should have RevisionId=1, especially if
                            timestamping is used, and explicitly says that the first revision MUST have
                            PreviousRevision=0)

                            The possible consequences are:
                            - prevent access to all the previous revisions (if ID of the Item/thread in
                            the repository is PublicIdentifier (NewsML URN) with RevisionId stripped of,
                            which is quite logical choice)
                            - not provide link to the previous revision, because there is no way to
                            construct it's PublicIdentifier (NewsML URN), (except perhaps by querying
                            the last NewsItem with the same PublicIdentifier with RevisionId striped
                            off)

                            Personally, I think that making PreviousRevision mandatory was the bad
                            choice. NewsML 2 decided to strip the RevisionId from the @guid (NewsML URN)
                            that is the primary identifier for the Item.

                            Hina is not using revisions because of this, and also because it was
                            impossible to reconcile it with the legacy systems (IPTC7901) that had no
                            concept of revisions (so, with revisions, the Item would have different Id
                            in NewsML and legacy systems).

                            Alternate choice (used by Hina) is to assign new PublicIdentifier to the new
                            revision and use association (AssociatedWith or DerivedFrom) to connect with
                            the previous revision. It is not perfect either (AssociatedWith should also
                            contain NewsML URN), but I think that the chances to break something are
                            slightly smaller, because it does not actively violate the spec.

                            Darko.Gulija@...
                            IT Manager / Voditelj informatike
                            tel: +385 1 48 08 800
                            fax: +385 1 48 08 820
                            Croatian News Agency (HINA)

                          • Laurent Le Meur
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 12, 2006
                              >Paul said
                              >I would however welcome the NewsML v2 equivalent of PreviousRevision
                              >to be made optional.

                              We have suppressed the indication of a previous revision from NewsML G2.
                              That makes things much simpler.

                              Laurent Le Meur
                              IPTC News Architecture WP chair
                              AFP