NewsML 1.2 XML Schema BETA Release

  • Jayson Lorenzen
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2006
      I am please to announce that the IPTC members have approved the NewsML
      1.2 XML Schema for release as a BETA version, with the ultimate goal
      of releasing an official version after testing and debugging. As a
      result the NewsML 1 Maintenance Working Party have made a first pass
      at preparing the experimental version of the schema for release as a
      usable schema and posted it to the IPTC website at:

      http://www.iptc.org/std-dev/NewsML/1.2/specification/

      In this directory you will find the schema file and a list of the
      changes made so far.

      Members of the NewsML forum are invited to test this schema.

      Two issues have been already reported by IPTC members:

      1) Reported by Takahiro Fujiwara; The DataContent element only allows
      content from any other namespace (namespace="##other") which excludes
      contnet from the NewsML namespace.

      2) Reported by Ken Wolf; The regular expression in the type
      NewsMLDateTime contains an invalid pattern value: [+-]. This creates
      an invalid range and should be replaced with [+\-]

      Please post additional issues found with this version of the schema
      here in this forum. We will update the schema when there are a
      sufficient number of bugs to warrant an update or reports stop coming in.

      Jayson Lorenzen
      Business Wire
    • Laurent Le Meur
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 9, 2006
        Jayson, some comments on the NewsML 1.2 XML draft schema.

        1/ Version: the pattern on NewsML/@Version limits the value to "1.2". As
        NewsML1.2 is a backward compatible evolution of NewsML1.1, shouldn't we allow
        both "1.1" and "1.2" as values of this attribute?

        2/ all elements are globally defined. For the sake of clarity, it would make
        sense define them locally where applicable (eg most AdministrativeMetadata
        properties could be locally defined).

        3/ comments in XMLSpy (on Windows): due to the Linux origin of the tools you use
        I guess, strange square characters (line feeds) appear in the formatted XML
        comments in the overview view, beginning with:

        Attribute Groups

        I'm sure we would benefit suppressing this pseudo-layout. Most of these comments
        are duplicates on the annotations, and add nothing to the readability of the
        schema.

        4/ At the same level, no line feed is needed in element annotation.

        Aside, I'm happy that this schema validates AFP NewsML1 articles without any
        problem.

        Best regards
        Laurent Le Meur
        AFP

        This e-mail, and any file transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.

        For more information on Agence France-Presse, please visit our web site at http://www.afp.com