My design for Photo's Caption. Is it OK?

  • kalot2k
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27, 2006
      Hi,

      Please advise....

      newsml.org show some newsml sample of AFP.
      It's have hierarchical NewsComponent for Photo and Photo's Caption.

      but I don't wanna this structure.
      so, I design the structure for Photo (below)

      NewsComponent
      - ContentItem
      - DataContent ( have Text )
      - ContentItem
      - DataContent ( have Photo )
      - Characteristics
      - Property FormalName="Caption" Value="Photo's Caption"

      Is it OK?

      Thank you very much for your help.
    • Laurent Le Meur
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 27, 2006
        Hi,

        Wat is the use of the first ContentItem (Text) if it is not the caption?

        Laurent Le Meur
        AFP

      • shinotsuka hiroshi
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 27, 2006
          Hi,

          I think kalot2k said the first ContentItem is an article. He would organize
          an ariticle and a photo related it and a photo's caption.
          So, I would suggest as follows;
          Because the Characteristics Property that provides information about the
          physical characteristics.A cation might be not a physical characteristics.
          And the NewsComponent element has the Role element. The Role element
          can indicate the role between NewsComponents.

          NewsComponent
          -NewsComponent Role="article"
          -ContentItem
          for an article
          -NewsComponent Role="caption"
          -ContentItem
          for a caption
          -NewsComponent Role="photo"
          -ContentItem
          for a photo

          OR; more complex

          NewsComponent
          -NewsComponent Role="article"
          -ContentItem
          for an article
          -NewsComponent Role="photo"
          -NewsComponent Role="caption"
          -ContentItem
          for a caption
          -NewsComponent Role="main"
          -ContentItem
          for a photo

          If you don't like a layered architecture;
          This another tricky approach is using Euid attribute( not recommend)

          NewsComponent
          -NewsComponent Role="article"
          -ContentItem
          for an article
          -NewsComponent Role="photo"
          -ContentItem Euid="caption"
          for a caption
          -ContentItem Euid="main"
          for a photo

          Hiroshi

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 27, 2006
            In this case I advocate hat the Article and the Photo should be implemented as
            two different NewsItems (note: this is not how AFP implemented it 5 years ago,
            but with the experience we gained, this is the new recommendation).

            Laurent

            This e-mail, and any file transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.

            For more information on Agence France-Presse, please visit our web site at http://www.afp.com

          • Akihiko Tozawa
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 28, 2006
              Hi,

              A question from curiosity ..

              How people in this community design this kind of hierarchical news
              vocabularies?
              I mean, can we use tools (e.g., modeling tools) instead of writing XML
              documents for catalog and topic set by hand?

              NewsComponent
              -NewsComponent Role="article"
              -ContentItem
              for an article