RELAX NG With Custom Datatype Libraries

  • Misha Wolf
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004

      Elliotte Rusty Harold, IBM developerWorks

      The RELAX NG XML schema language has achieved huge success over the past three years; this is due in large part to its incredibly clean and straightforward syntax, especially compared to the W3C XML Schema language. Numerous groups, including OpenOffice, DocBook, and the Text Encoding Initiative, have adopted the RELAX NG schema language. RELAX NG has even begun to replace W3C schemas within the W3C, where both the SVG and XHTML working groups are writing their schemas in RELAX NG, then translating them to DTDs and W3C XML Schemas. While RELAX NG doesn't mandate support for XML schema datatypes, in practice, major implementations such as Jing and Sun's Multischema Validator do support them. However, in all the excitement over how much better RELAX NG does the same things as the W3C XML Schema language, the fact that it can actually do quite a bit more has been overlooked. In particular, unlike the W3C XML Schema language, RELAX NG is not limited to one preordained collection of primitive data types with a limited set of facets for extension. RELAX NG enables developers to define custom type libraries that can assert any constraints a program can verify.

      See also:
      RELAX NG references

      [XML.org Daily Newslink, 29 November 2004]

      Misha Wolf
      Standards Manager
      Product and Platform Architecture Group
      Reuters

      the views of Reuters Ltd.
    • Takahiro FUJIWARA
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
        As explain below, RELAX NG can convert it to W3C XML Schema.
        Only the one way RELAX NG -> W3C XML Schema.
        And I heard that the conversion is carried out with automatic.
        Do we consider to use RELAX NG in develope NewsML2?

        For your information; I know the person who is the key member of RELAX NG.
        Currently I don't know he has a possibility to cooperate with us.

        Takahiro Fujiwara
        EAST Co., Ltd. Japan
[...]

        Find more on NewsML at http://www.newsml.org

      • John Cowan
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
          Takahiro FUJIWARA scripsit:

          > As explain below, RELAX NG can convert it to W3C XML Schema.
          > Only the one way RELAX NG -> W3C XML Schema.

          That is not completely true. The trang tool can convert RELAX NG
          schemas to W3C XML schemas with preservation of structure. Sometimes
          the resulting W3C XML schema has fewer restrictions than the original,
          and sometimes conversion is not possible.

          The Sun schema conversion tool, however, can convert W3C XML schemas
          to RELAX NG schemas completely (except for unique, key, and keyref
          declarations, which are not converted). The structure of the
          RELAX NG schema is not preserved.

          --
          Said Agatha Christie / To E. Philips Oppenheim John Cowan
          "Who is this Hemingway? / Who is this Proust? jcowan@...
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2004

            De : Takahiro FUJIWARA [mailto:fujiwat@...]
            Do we consider to use RELAX NG in develope NewsML2?

            Yes, this is a thread for the iptc-xmlschema-style forum only.

            NewsML2 will be represented as a W3C Schema first (if only because it has this inheritance feature (restriction/extension) that fits our needs). But as the Sun schema conversion tool can transform a XSD schema to a RelaxNG schema, we could get an “experimentary” RelaxNG schema out of it.

            What would be bad is to have to deal with the constraints of both kinds of schemas…

            Laurent

            This e-mail, and any file transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individ ual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sende r and delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distr ibute or copy this email.

            For more information on Agence France-Presse, please visit our web site at http://www.afp.com