finance tickers in NewsML

  • somaraju_r
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
      we receive news from different providers that we need to re-
      distribute to other people. we are using NewsML for distribution of
      the content. for business stories, the provider is sending the
      finance tickers in their xml format, that we want to add to our
      NewsML. they don't send us the actual company name associated with
      the ticker. so, we want to distribute only the tickers, without
      associating the name of the company to the ticker and leaving it to
      the final consumer. is the following format the right way to do that?

      thanx
      raghu

      ==== A snippet of the NewsML document ====

      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <Catalog>
      <Resource>
      <Urn>urn:newsml:iptc.org:20001006:IptcTopicTypes:1</Urn>
      <Url>http://www.iptc.org/NewsML/topicsets/iptc-
      topictypes.xml</Url>
      <DefaultVocabularyFor Context="TopicType"/>
      </Resource>
      </Catalog>
      <TopicSet FormalName="Companies">
      <Topic Duid="company1">
      <TopicType FormalName="Company"/>
      <FormalName Scheme="NASDAQ">DELL</FormalName>
      </Topic>
      <Topic Duid="company2">
      <TopicType FormalName="Company"/>
      <FormalName Scheme="NASDAQ">RTRSY</FormalName>
      </Topic>
      </TopicSet>
      <NewsEnvelope>
      <DateAndTime>20040124T100000Z</DateAndTime>
      <NewsService FormalName="business"/>
      </NewsEnvelope>
    • Laurent Le Meur
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2004
        Hi Raghu,

        I think that this is ok. You define a local vocabulary and include in it
        the company codes. You could use these topics as descriptive metadata
        (meaning “this story is about this company”) with TopicOccurrence
        elements like in:

        <NewsComponent>
        ----------
        <DescriptiveMetadata>
        <TopicOccurrence Topic="#company1" />
        <TopicOccurrence Topic="#company2" />
        </DescriptiveMetadata>
        </NewsComponent>

        Only remark = your Catalog is included by value, not by reference, and
        only controls ‘TopicType’. So in your example ‘NewsService/@formalName’
        is not formally controlled. Maybe is would be better to put here a
        reference to a remote catalog, and define some control on more
        elements/attributes.

        Laurent Le Meur
        Agence France Presse

[...]

        _____