NewsItem content model

  • Paul Ian Harman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2000
      [Sorry about the email address but eGroups won't let me have a different
      email address for different mailing list, without having to be a member
      twice!]

      On reading through the DTD I was rather suprised to see that NewsItems can
      only contain NewsComponents.

      The content model from the DTD is:

      <!ELEMENT NewsItem (Identification , Comment? , NewsManagement ,
      ( NewsComponent | Update+ | Vocabulary )? )>

      But I was expecting:

      <!ELEMENT NewsItem (Identification, Comment?, NewsManagement,
      ( (NewsComponent|NewsItem|ContentItem)+ | Update+ | Vocabulary)?)>

      Now, I'm sure this was done for the sake of simplicity, but the upshot is
      that if I want to publish a collection of publishable news objects, I have
      to (as a bare minimum) do this (this is vastly simplified BTW and I'm just
      listing the news objects):

      <NewsItem>
      <NewsComponent>
      <NewsItem>
      <NewsComponent>
      <ContentItem/>
      </NewsComponent>
      </NewsItem>
      <NewsItem>
      <NewsComponent>
      <ContentItem/>
      </NewsComponent>
      </NewsItem>
      <NewsItem>
      <NewsComponent>
      <ContentItem/>
      </NewsComponent>
      </NewsItem>
      </NewsComponent>
      </NewsItem>

      ...rather than this:

      <NewsItem>
      <NewsItem>
      <ContentItem/>
      </NewsItem>
      <NewsItem>
      <ContentItem/>
      </NewsItem>
      <NewsItem>
      <ContentItem/>
      </NewsItem>
      </NewsItem>

      [There's a similar level of redundancy for non-publishable news objects]

      I thought that the purpose of NewsComponents was to bundle groups of news
      objects together and describe relationships - where there is only one news
      object I thought that a NewsComponent was not required... or did I miss
      something in discussions in London?

      Paul Harman
      Technical Team Leader, Web Team, R&D, PA News
    • Ben Parker
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2000
        Apologies if a FAQ... But where is the DTD?

        Thanks,

        Ben