binary data transport

  • Laurent LE MEUR
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2 7:45 AM
      Daniel,

      In parallel with functional questions, we would need some advice about the
      possible use of MIME to transport un-encoded binary data.

      No good solution seems to exist in the Internet field, to allow the creation
      of packages of binary parts.

      RFC2045 (search "Binary Data"), describes "Content-Transfer-Encoding:binary"
      as a way to transport un-encoded binary data in a MIME part.

      I join (in the eGroups Files / NewsML(afp) section -> "MIMEBinary
      AFPtest.eml") a test file we created to try this feature in different
      browsers. It's opened at least in Outlook Express 5 (8bit xml and binary
      picture are showed as attachements), can be handled with MIME libraries
      (development tools), can be broadcasted on any binary transport (e.g.
      satellite), and is unusable for (7bits) SMTP mail transport.

      As you know, base64 encoding for binary data is cumbersome, with a 30%
      overhead that could dismiss xml advantage for news delivery.

      So can we state that MIME un-encoded binary data is a possible standardized
      solution for NewsML transport ? do you see another standard (cross-os)
      solution for binary packaging NewsML documents ?

      Note : some time ago, I conceived a way to re-use some of the IIM format to
      act as a binary package envelope, using numbered tags as "wagons" headers in
      a multi-part "train" (briefly, IIM uses the idea of tags, each having a tag
      marker, a tag number, and data field size ; IIM adds semantics to the tag
      numbers, but removing this "meaning" could allow us to obtain what we need).
      This idea wasn't taken into account at AFP because it was so proprietary,
      but if IPTC endorses it as an IIM child, it could have some logic ... The
      drawback is a special parser (a simplified IIM parser) for those packages.

      best regards
      Laurent LE MEUR / AFP
    • Kelvin Holland
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5 8:07 AM
        I cautioned on the use of MIME at Nice, and yesterday's events illustrate
        the havoc that it can cause in association with "helper" applications.
        Example:
        -----------

        ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01BFB5C6.92912100

        kindly check the attached LOVELETTER coming from me.

        ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01BFB5C6.92912100

        rem barok -loveletter(vbe) <i hate go to school>

        The whole issue of accepting MIME and/or binary content from the Internet
        into trusted networks could prove troublesome for the adoption of NewsML
        unless we address the security issues.

        --
        Kelvin Holland
        IT Director