Re: NewsML MIME type

  • Michael Steidl
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2 7:23 AM
      Rob,

      your are right, IPTC has registered vendor specific MIME types for
      both NewsML and NITF.

      You pointed out that this might be misleading since the "pure"
      format is XML and therefore an appropriate XML MIME type should be
      assigned.

      But as I understand MIME types they should not only describe the
      plain format of the data but should also assert a structure behind
      those data. Eg: Postscript data or a PDF file are in
      fact "text/plain" files but for both more specific MIME type have
      been registered so anybody who receives a file with e.g. the PDF
      MIME type assigned would know what has to be done to render this
      hundreds of lines of text to a meaningful display (=load it into a
      PDF reader).

      The same applies to NewsML: yes it is XML but there is the whole
      idea of news management, metadata assignment, packaging of different
      news and media ... of NewsML behind those XML tags and this should
      be expressed by using a NewsML specific MIME type.

      So we at IPTC will consider how to harmonise both approaches but I
      think our approach was not that bad.

      Regards

      Michael
      (MD IPTC)

      --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, Rob Warner <warnerrob@h...> wrote:
      > On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 16:21, Anthony B. Coates wrote:
      > > Although "text/xml" is valid, there seems to be a strong opinion
      that
      > > this was a bad idea, and that it should be (and should always
      have
      > > been) "application/xml". That said, I suspect there are still
      many
      > > systems around that only understand "text/xml" for XML, which is
      why
      > > it has been so hard to get rid of that MIME type.
      > >
      > > It would also be possible for the IPTC to apply for a NewsML
      MIME type
      > > (in the same manner that SVG has a MIME type). This would be
      > > "application/newsml+xml" where the "+xml" suffix indicates that
      the
      > > underlying syntax is XML.
      >
      > It seems the IPTC has already registered text/vnd.IPTC.NewsML:
      > http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/text/ (along with
      > text/vnd.IPTC.NITF).
      >
      > This has all the disadvantages of not being identified as XML, as
      listed
      > in §7 of RFC 2032 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt.
      >
      > Would there be any support for a new registration for something
      like
      > text/NewsML+xml, application/NewsML+xml or even
      > text/vnd.IPTC.NewsML+xml, followed by official deprecation of the
      old
      > registered types? I haven't yet read through the RFC's to
      determine if
      > those types are actually valid, or which we might prefer.
      >
      > cheers,
      >
      > Rob
    • Bill Kearney
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 12 4:04 AM
        > It seems the IPTC has already registered text/vnd.IPTC.NewsML:
        > http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/text/ (along with
        > text/vnd.IPTC.NITF).
        >
        > This has all the disadvantages of not being identified as XML, as
        listed
        > in §7 of RFC 2032 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt.
        >
        > Would there be any support for a new registration for something like
        > text/NewsML+xml, application/NewsML+xml or even
        > text/vnd.IPTC.NewsML+xml, followed by official deprecation of the
        old
        > registered types? I haven't yet read through the RFC's to
        determine if
        > those types are actually valid, or which we might prefer.

        It would seem like those are the best choices to use. There's
        nothing about a MIME type's prefix/suffix structure that any
        procesing environments know to 'care about'. Using hamsandwich/xml
        won't help *anything* understand that the data is in XML form. The
        MIME type strings are simply identifiers.

        So unless the IPTC registrations of those types are for a format of
        data that's /not/ XML then they're perfectly appropriate for use
        here. If, however, the format of data intended by the registrations
        is NOT intended to be XML (plain text or binary) then it stands to
        reason some new set would have to get created.

        Also note that using a MIME type requires telling the thing serving
        up the data to properly send it using that type. Most web serving
        environments and e-mail make it possible to properly specify the MIME
        type. Apache uses AddType directives, for example. So don't think
        it's only about file extension mapping.

        -Bill Kearney
        Syndic8.com
      • Jayson Lorenzen
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 12 10:27 AM
          I think I agree with Bill here. If it is XML then why
          not call it XML, and if the user needs to know if its
          NewsML or not, cant they look at the root element? It
          is <NewsML> no?

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Michael Steidl
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 13 1:39 AM
            Jayson,

            as I pointed out in a previous posting the problem with MIME types
            is that they are not only related to the "raw" format of data. PDF,
            Postscript or RTF are in fact plain text formats with an internal
            structure usually even asserting the type of structure in the
            headline of the "text". In spite of this all these formats have
            their specific MIME type.

            But as I already posted: we at IPTC will consider this.

            Michael
            MD IPTC

            --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, Jayson Lorenzen

          • Jayson Lorenzen
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 13 10:15 AM
              Michael, thank you for responding. I am sorry I missed your previous
              posting somehow and was under the impression the use of a new mimetype
              had already been decided.
              I agree that PDF, Postscript and RTF are plain text formats with an
              internal
              structure, and these definatly need a mimetype, as opening a Postscript
              file as Text and expecting to programically figure out that it is infact
              Postcript could be difficult. However, NewsML is XML, and the root
              element is going to say so.
              Anyway thanks for listening and I am glad your are considering all
              options.

              Jayson Lorenzen
              Business Wire

              >>> mdirector@... 08/13/03 01:39AM >>>

              <jayson_lorenzen@y...> wrote:
              > I think I agree with Bill here. If it is XML then why
              > not call it XML, and if the user needs to know if its
              > NewsML or not, cant they look at the root element? It
              > is <NewsML> no?

              > --- Bill Kearney <ml_yahoo@i...> wrote:
              > > > It seems the IPTC has already registered
              > > text/vnd.IPTC.NewsML:
              > > > http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/text/
              > > (along with
              > > > text/vnd.IPTC.NITF).
              > > >
              > > > This has all the disadvantages of not being
              > > identified as XML, as
              > > listed
              > > > in §7 of RFC 2032
              > > http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt.
              > > >
              > > > Would there be any support for a new registration
              > > for something like
              > > > text/NewsML+xml, application/NewsML+xml or even
              > > > text/vnd.IPTC.NewsML+xml, followed by official
              > > deprecation of the
              > > old
              > > > registered types? I haven't yet read through the
              > > RFC's to
              > > determine if
              > > > those types are actually valid, or which we might
              > > prefer.
              > >
              > > It would seem like those are the best choices to
              > > use. There's
              > > nothing about a MIME type's prefix/suffix structure
              > > that any
              > > procesing environments know to 'care about'. Using
              > > hamsandwich/xml
              > > won't help *anything* understand that the data is in
              > > XML form. The
              > > MIME type strings are simply identifiers.
              > >
              > > So unless the IPTC registrations of those types are
              > > for a format of
              > > data that's /not/ XML then they're perfectly
              > > appropriate for use
              > > here. If, however, the format of data intended by
              > > the registrations
              > > is NOT intended to be XML (plain text or binary)
              > > then it stands to
              > > reason some new set would have to get created.
              > >
              > > Also note that using a MIME type requires telling
              > > the thing serving
              > > up the data to properly send it using that type.
              > > Most web serving
              > > environments and e-mail make it possible to properly
              > > specify the MIME
              > > type. Apache uses AddType directives, for example.
              > > So don't think
              > > it's only about file extension mapping.
              > >
              > > -Bill Kearney
              > > Syndic8.com

            • Rob Warner
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
                This is a different case than data formats that are based on plain text.

                In the case of NewsML, the fact that it's based on XML means the content
                has a well-defined structure which, in an of itself, has utility,
                separate from the actual meaning of the data.

                This fact allows one to use powerful technologies such as XPointer &
                XLink to refer to elements within arbitrary XML documents, without
                having to understand the actual grammar in use. It also allows search
                engines to do much more flexible things with the data than if it were
                treated as either an opaque chunk of binary, or just plain text.

                Of course it's true that the type can be determined by inspection, but
                in an HTTP context that would require retrieving the whole document, and
                we all know that NewsML is not a terse grammar, so that would be an
                expensive operation.

                If we have a suitably expressive MIME type, full body retrieval wouldn't
                be necessary - the headers can be retrieved separately, potentially
                saving a huge amount of extra bandwidth & processing.

                Basically, if we don't have a MIME type ending in +xml we're effectively
                saying that XPointer, XLink & any other technology that exploits the
                fact that a document is XML cannot be used efficiently on NewsML,
                especially over slow links. That may limit the adoption of NewsML in
                certain circumstances (some developing countries for instance). Read §7
                of http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt for more good reasons we should
                seriously consider assigning a new type.

                Quite apart from the technical arguments, there's the "everyone else is
                doing it" factor - a quick search picked up the following types that are
                already assigned:

                application/beep+xml
                application/cnrp+xml
                application/cpl+xml
                application/reginfo+xml
                application/vnd.criticaltools.wbs+xml
                application/vnd.irepository.package+xml
                application/vnd.liberty-request+xml
                application/vnd.llamagraphics.life-balance.exchange+xml
                application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml
                application/vnd.pwg-xhtml-print+xml
                application/watcherinfo+xml
                application/xhtml+xml

                Some other, as-yet unregistered ones include image/svg+xml,
                application/sbml+xml, application/xenc+xml and application/mathml+xml.

                Clearly all these groups see value in identifying their content
                additionally as XML, not just some opaque datatype that can only be
                understood by special tools. I feel strongly that it makes sense for
                NewsML to follow suit.

                cheers,

                Rob

              • Misha Wolf
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 5, 2003
                  I find Rob's arguments convincing.

                  Misha Wolf
                  Standards Manager
                  Content Architecture Group

                  Telephone +44 20 7542 6722
                  Mobile +44 7990 56 6722
                  Email misha.wolf@...
                  Reuters Messaging misha.wolf.reuters.com@...

> [...]

                  > > > hamsandwich/xml
                  > > > won't help *anything* understand that the data is in
                  > > > XML form. The
                  > > > MIME type strings are simply identifiers.
                  > > >
                  > > > So unless the IPTC registrations of those types are
                  > > > for a format of
                  > > > data that's /not/ XML then they're perfectly
                  > > > appropriate for use
                  > > > here. If, however, the format of data intended by
                  > > > the registrations
                  > > > is NOT intended to be XML (plain text or binary)
                  > > > then it stands to
                  > > > reason some new set would have to get created.
                  > > >
                  > > > Also note that using a MIME type requires telling
                  > > > the thing serving
                  > > > up the data to properly send it using that type.
                  > > > Most web serving
                  > > > environments and e-mail make it possible to properly
                  > > > specify the MIME
                  > > > type. Apache uses AddType directives, for example.

                  the views of Reuters Ltd.