NewsML & external documental languages

  • piriodista
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16, 2003
      Hello,

      I'm a research student interested in the use of NewsML from the point-
      of-view of the information science. I've been studying NewsML for
      some months and I have a question. I've been reading, among other
      documents, the e-mail from Laurent Le Meur, and I rode:

      > NewsML 1.2 proposed improvements currently are:
      >
      > Open the generic Metadata element to ANY content, thus
      allowing
      > transport of any set of metadata in a NewsML envelope in its native
      > format (RDF, XMP, PRISM .). Note that the transport of extended
      metadata
      > is already possible via the Property element, but in a specific
      format,
      > and using TopicSets; note also that such generic metadata sets
      would be
      > opaque to standard NewsML compliant readers, as NewsML formalizes
      its
      > own standard metadata set.

      So, does it mean that, in the NewsML 1.1 version, it's completely
      impossible to use any description language that is not be made with
      the NewsML syntaxis (with TopicSet) for applying this in any NewsML
      element?

      Maybe you can find this question a little stupid, but I've read, in
      the NewsML 1.1. Specification, refering to the attribute ValueRef of
      the element Property:

      "The ValueRef attribute gives a pointer to the value of the Property.
      This might be a Topic in a TopicSet, or any other piece of data"

      So, may this "any other piece of data" be a piece of data of a
      metadata language that not use the NewsML format? If that's not true,
      what's the possible meaning of this "piece of data"?

      I have the same doubt with the element Origin: can it point to a
      language not made with NewsML?

      I apologize for my English. Thank you for reading it,

      David Rodríguez
      Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
      Getafe (Madrid), Spain
    • Laurent Le Meur
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2003
        Hi David,

        Your question is interesting, and my answer in two fold: a. about
        Propery/@ValueRef, and b. about the NewsML1.2 evolution proposal.

        a. You can indeed use Property/@ValueRef as a *pointer* (URL or URN) to
        an external resource, that represents the value of the Property. This is
        one of the extensibility mechanism provided in NewsML.

        Examples
        - given in the NewsML specs: <Property FormalName="Unit"
        ValueRef="urn:newsml:mydomain.com:20010101:Units:1#cm"/>
        - with a URL <Property FormalName="RemoteArticle"
        ValueRef="http://www.mydomain.com/myarticle.xml"/>
        - with a TopicMap PSI: <Property FormalName="Language"
        ValueRef="http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/language.xtm#fr"/>

        Note: I'm not convinced that any implementer did use this feature yet.

        This can be used when you want to assign a Property a URL, or a URI
        value taken from something else than a TopicSet. I imagine that the
        original idea came from the TopicMap paradigm, where a literal value and
        a resource are represented differently (something that doesn't exist in
        RDF).

        Warning: on the other hand, there is a sentence in the specs (definition
        of the FormalName attribute at the end) which states that:
        "FormalName: A string of characters whose meaning is determined by a
        naming scheme within a controlled vocabulary. The controlled vocabulary
        may (but is not required to) take the form of a NewsML TopicSet."
        So what is true for the FormalName attribute of many metadata elements =
        it doesn't strictly have to be controlled by a TopicSet, should be also
        true for the Value attribute of Property.
        This to say that <Property FormalName="Language"
        Value="http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/language.xtm#fr"/> (read
        Value=...) should be an acceptable interpretation also.

        About Origin, the problem is the same; the NewsML specs state that "the
        Origin elements provide pointers to machine-interpretable data held
        elsewhere, that conveys the same information as this human-readable
        text." So this remote data can be is whatever format you want, even not
        some "genuine NewsML" information.

        b.!!!! Now the current proposal for evolution of NewsML - that didn't
        raise high enthusiasm lately in this list - is different: it is not
        about the values of metadata, but about the representation of metadata
        itself.

        The issue is: should we for example allow this, as a complement to
        NewsML metadata?

        <Metadata>
        <MetadataType FormalName="AdobeXMP"/>
        <x:xapmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/"
        x:xaptk="XMP toolkit 2.8.2-33, framework 1.5">
        <rdf:RDF
        xmlns:iX="http://ns.adobe.com/iX/1.0/">
        <rdf:Description
        about="uuid:aefe2aca-4e22-11d7-81a0-d9f6e422c760"
        xmlns:photoshop="http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/">

        <photoshop:CaptionWriter>np kr fob-ao</photoshop:CaptionWriter>

        <photoshop:Headline>ALL</photoshop:Headline>

        <photoshop:AuthorsPosition/>

        <photoshop:Credit>AFP</photoshop:Credit>

        <photoshop:Source>EPA/PA</photoshop:Source>

        <photoshop:City>CARDIFF</photoshop:City>

        <photoshop:Country>UNITED KINGDOM</photoshop:Country>

        <photoshop:TransmissionReference>NLD14</photoshop:TransmissionReference>

        <photoshop:Category>SPO</photoshop:Category>

        <photoshop:DateCreated>2002-04-18</photoshop:DateCreated>

        <photoshop:Urgency>4</photoshop:Urgency>

        <photoshop:SupplementalCategories>

        <rdf:Bag>

        <rdf:li>BOXING</rdf:li>

        </rdf:Bag>

        </photoshop:SupplementalCategories>
        </rdf:Description>
        </rdf:RDF>
        </x:xapmeta>
        </Metadata>

        As chairman of the NewsML working support WP, I would be glad to receive
        feelings of the NewsML implementers about this: what are the pros and
        cons of this proposal? Should we do it in a minor evolution like
        NewsML1.2, or wait for a major evolution (NewsML2.0)?

        Laurent Le Meur

        I'm a research student interested in the use of NewsML from the point-
        of-view of the information science. I've been studying NewsML for
        some months and I have a question. I've been reading, among other
        documents, the e-mail from Laurent Le Meur, and I rode:

        > NewsML 1.2 proposed improvements currently are:

        >       Open the generic Metadata element to ANY content, thus
        allowing
        > transport of any set of metadata in a NewsML envelope in its native
        > format (RDF, XMP, PRISM .). Note that the transport of extended
        metadata
        > is already possible via the Property element, but in a specific
        format,
        > and using TopicSets; note also that such generic metadata sets
        would be
        > opaque to standard NewsML compliant readers, as NewsML formalizes
        its
        > own standard metadata set.

        So, does it mean that, in the NewsML 1.1 version, it's completely
        impossible to use any description language that is not be made with
        the NewsML syntaxis (with TopicSet) for applying this in any NewsML
        element?

        Maybe you can find this question a little stupid, but I've read, in
        the NewsML 1.1. Specification, refering to the attribute ValueRef of
        the element Property:

        "The ValueRef attribute gives a pointer to the value of the Property.
        This might be a Topic in a TopicSet, or any other piece of data"

        So, may this "any other piece of data" be a piece of data of a
        metadata language that not use the NewsML format? If that's not true,
        what's the possible meaning of this "piece of data"?

        I have the same doubt with the element Origin: can it point to a
        language not made with NewsML?

        I apologize for my English. Thank you for reading it,

        David Rodríguez
        Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
        Getafe (Madrid), Spain

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor