FW: Validating NewsML against multiple schemas

  • Trevor Leung
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2003
      Hi all,

      IPTC has recently released NewsMLv1.1.2 Schema, I want to ask if I want to add other schema in DataContent, for example
      nitf or others so as I can validate both NewsML and other schemas, what format it should be?

      Will it be like this?

      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <NewsML xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="NewsMLv1.1.2.xsd">
      <NewsEnvelope>
      <DataContent>
      <otherElement xmlns="http://www..../otherMarkup"
      xsi:schemaLocation="http://www...../otherMarkup.xsd"

      </otherElement>
      </DataContent>
      </NewsML>

      Thanks for your help.

      Best Regards,

      Trevor Leung
      Centre for Innovation and Technology,
      The Chinese University of Hong Kong
    • David Allen
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
        Trevor
        I have tested the following and it is fine in XMLSpy:

        <NewsML xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="./DTD/NewsMLv1.1.2.xsd">

        <DataContent Duid="d31">
        <nitf xmlns="urn:nitf:iptc.org.20010418.NITF" baselang="en.uk" change.date="4 July 2000" change.time="1900"
        version="2.1">

        David Allen

        Trevor Leung wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > IPTC has recently released NewsMLv1.1.2 Schema, I want to ask if I want to add other schema in DataContent, for example
        > nitf or others so as I can validate both NewsML and other schemas, what format it should be?
        >
        > Will it be like this?
        >
        > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
        > <NewsML xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="NewsMLv1.1.2.xsd">
        > <NewsEnvelope>
        > <DataContent>
        > <otherElement xmlns="http://www..../otherMarkup"
        > xsi:schemaLocation="http://www...../otherMarkup.xsd"
        > >
        > </otherElement>
        > </DataContent>
        > </NewsML>
        >
        > Thanks for your help.
        >
        > Best Regards,
        >
        > Trevor Leung
        > Centre for Innovation and Technology,
        > The Chinese University of Hong Kong

        Working to improve the efficiency of News exchange.
        Visit our Web Site at http://www.iptc.org
      • Anthony B. Coates
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
          ** Reply to message from David Allen <ho73@...> on Thu, 02 Jan 2003
          08:21:08 +0000

          > I have tested the following and it is fine in XMLSpy:
          >
          > <NewsML xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
          > xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="./DTD/NewsMLv1.1.2.xsd">
          >
          > <DataContent Duid="d31">
          > <nitf xmlns="urn:nitf:iptc.org.20010418.NITF" baselang="en.uk"
          > change.date="4 July 2000" change.time="1900"
          > version="2.1">

          David, looking at this example, it isn't clear that the <nitf> element is
          validated. The content model for <DataContent> is "lax", so its contents are
          allowed to go unvalidated. There is no "xsi:schemaLocation" pointing to the
          NITF Schema. So although XML Spy validates what you have, I don't think it is
          validating the inserted data content, which is what I think was being asked.

          Cheers,
          Tony.
          ====
          Anthony B. Coates, Information & Software Architect
          mailto:abcoates@...
          MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language)
          http://www.mddl.org/
          FpML AWG Member (Financial Products Markup Language)
          http://www.fpml.org/
        • David Allen
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
            Tony
            Thanks - you are correct. I have played around with the schema and have not found
            away of solving this problem in XMLSpy. Do you have any ideas?
            David

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
              ** Reply to message from David Allen <ho73@...> on Fri, 03 Jan 2003
              10:59:45 +0000

              Dear David,

              > Thanks - you are correct. I have played around with the schema and have not found
              > away of solving this problem in XMLSpy. Do you have any ideas?

              This is a W3C XML Schema thing, rather than an XML Spy specific thing. Since
              the non-NewsML content is set to have "lax" processing in the NewsML Schema, it
              will be validated whenever the validator can find a Schema for it. That means
              either

              (a) providing a suitable "xsi:schemaLocation" attribute which, for the example
              of NITF in NewsML, has the form of the NITF namespace URI, following by a
              space, followed by the URL of the NITF Schema;
              (b) setting your Schema validator (in a validator-specific fashion) to use the
              NITF Schema whenever it encounters the NITF namespace.

              Sorry I don't have time right now to dash off an example. If this is not
              clear, let me know, and I will provide an example later.

              Cheers,
              Tony.
              ====
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 12, 2003
                Hi David and Anthony,

                I have tested it by put another schema in DataContent and validated with XMLSpy.
                Indeed, I am not sure whether it is work or not, I think I will use other parser to test it such as Xerces.
                Any idea?

                I put the schema location as follow:

                <DataContent>
                <WeatherNewsML xmlns="http://www.wxnml.org/2003/1/WeatherNewsML" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="WeatherNewsML.xsd">
                <Warning>
                <IssuedTime>2002-12-25T16:30:00+08:00</IssuedTime>
                <Type>Cold Weather Warning</Type>
                <Action>Issue</Action>
                <InForce>1</InForce>
                <Content>........ </Content>
                </Warning>
                </WeatherNewsML>
                </DataContent>

                Regards,

                Trevor
                Chinese NewsML Community

                > I have tested the following and it is fine in XMLSpy:
                >
                > <NewsML xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
                > xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="./DTD/NewsMLv1.1.2.xsd">
                >
                > <DataContent Duid="d31">
                > <nitf xmlns="urn:nitf:iptc.org.20010418.NITF" baselang="en.uk"
                > change.date="4 July 2000" change.time="1900"
                > version="2.1">

                David, looking at this example, it isn't clear that the <nitf> element is
                validated. The content model for <DataContent> is "lax", so its contents are
                allowed to go unvalidated. There is no "xsi:schemaLocation" pointing to the
                NITF Schema. So although XML Spy validates what you have, I don't think it is
                validating the inserted data content, which is what I think was being asked.

                Cheers,
                Tony.
                ====
                Anthony B. Coates, Information & Software Architect
                mailto:abcoates@...
                MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language)
                http://www.mddl.org/
                FpML AWG Member (Financial Products Markup Language)
                http://www.fpml.org/

                Turn flat surfaces into speakers with the Soundbug.
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWAVSC/onCFAA/xGHJAA/2U_rlB/TM
              • David Allen
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 13, 2003
                  Trevor
                  I have tried similar constructs with XMLSpy and have not yet succeeded in getting the DataContent data to correctly validate.
                  David

                • Derek Dougans
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 13, 2003
                    The problem with the two (target namespace/no target namespace) xsi schema
                    location attributes is that they are (as you know) only 'hints' to the
                    processing parser and it is free to ignore them. Xerces explicilty states
                    that schema location tags will only be accepted in the document root and xml
                    spy seems to exhibit the same behaviour.

                    I recently attempted to configure Xerces programmatically (using the parser
                    specific proprties) to use multiple schemas but this is also ineffective
                    when mixing namespace/no namespace schemas.

                    I concluded that the problem would only be resolved by declaring a target
                    namespace for the NewsML schema, although I understand that this is not
                    desirable as it would then prevent validation of instances against the
                    NewsML DTD. I would however be delighted to be proved wrong!

                    Regards,

                    Derek Dougans
                  • Trevor Leung
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 13, 2003
                      Hi,

                      Thanks for your suggestion. I agree with you, it is because I have found out
                      that when some parsers validate against multiple schemas,
                      they always provide some functions to validate multiple schemas. For
                      examples, MSXML and Xerces.

                      I have tried to use import or include to reference other schemas in NewsML,
                      but it is required to change the content of the NewsML schema as follows.
                      It is not a good method.

                      Examples:

                      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                      elementFormDefault="qualified">
                      <xs:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
                      schemaLocation="xml.xsd"/>
                      <!--******add here ***--> <xs:import namespace="something"
                      schemaLocation="something"/> <!-- ******* -->
                      <xs:annotation>
                      <xs:documentation> .....

                      Regards,

                      ------------------
                      Trevor Leung
                      cnewsml.org

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 13, 2003
                        ** Reply to message from "Trevor Leung" <trevorleung@...> on Sun, 12
                        Jan 2003 16:56:16 +0800

                        > I have tested it by put another schema in DataContent and validated with XMLSpy.
                        > Indeed, I am not sure whether it is work or not, I think I will use other parser to test it such as Xerces.
                        > Any idea?

                        OK, I've written a short article on what to do, as well as some samples. You
                        can download the zipped files (266K) from

                        http://www.londonmarketsystems.com/newsml/newml-embedded-content.zip

                        In a nutshell, you can get Schema validators to validate the embedded content.
                        However, there is a problem with the latest release of Apache Xerces which
                        means that it won't work with Xerces unless a "targetNamespace" URI is added to
                        the NewsML Schema (as mentioned in one of the previous posts). It would not be
                        a bad idea to add a target namespace to the next release of the Schema.

                        Please let me know if you have any problems with or questions about the
                        samples. By the way, I have not had the chance to test the samples with XML
                        Spy, so I would be interested to hear back from someone who can tell me what
                        happens. I used TurboXML 2.3.1, XSV 1.4, and Xerces (via Topologi
                        Collaborative Markup Editor, version 1.1).

                        Cheers,
                        Tony.
                        ====
                        Anthony B. Coates
                        London Market Systems Limited
                        33 Throgmorton Street, London, EC2N 2BR
                        http://www.londonmarketsystems.com/
                        mailto:abcoates@...
                        Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
                        [MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language), http://www.mddl.org/%5d
                        [FpML Arch WG Member (Financial Products Markup Language), http://www.fpml.org/%5d
                        This Email may contain confidential information and/or copyright material and is intended for the use of the addressee only.
                        Any unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive this Email by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your e-mail software.
                        Email is not a secure method of communication and London Market Systems Limited cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this email for virus infection, for which London Market Systems Limited accepts no responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please request a hard copy. Unless otherwise stated any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not represent those of London Market Systems Limited.
                      • Laurent Le Meur
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 13, 2003
                          Antony,

                          I follow this discussion, but didn’t find on my side any way to solve
                          the problem.

                          I tried your samples on XMLSpy5.release2 ; unfortunately, even
                          "invalidContent.xml" is seen as valid using this software. XMLSpy
                          doesn't seem to use the embedded "schemaLocation" information.

                          A question about your sample: is DataContent the proper place for the
                          embedded "schemaLocation" attribute, or should it be Weather (the first
                          element using this schema) ?

                          NITF being the recommended representation for text, we could import the
                          nitf schema reference in the NewsML schema ... but this wouldn't solve
                          the problem for those who use XHTML as text representation.

                          As for you idea of adding a "targetNamespace" to the NewsML schema, it's
                          definitely something to rise in Nice next month.

                          Best regards
                          Laurent Le Meur
                          AFP

                          > I have tested it by put another schema in DataContent and validated
                          with XMLSpy.
                          > Indeed, I am not sure whether it is work or not, I think I will use
                          other parser to test it such as Xerces.
                          > Any idea?

                          OK, I've written a short article on what to do, as well as some samples.
                          You
                          can download the zipped files (266K) from

                          http://www.londonmarketsystems.com/newsml/newml-embedded-content.zip

                          In a nutshell, you can get Schema validators to validate the embedded
                          content.
                          However, there is a problem with the latest release of Apache Xerces
                          which
                          means that it won't work with Xerces unless a "targetNamespace" URI is
                          added to
                          the NewsML Schema (as mentioned in one of the previous posts). It would
                          not be
                          a bad idea to add a target namespace to the next release of the Schema.

                          Please let me know if you have any problems with or questions about the
                          samples. By the way, I have not had the chance to test the samples with
                          XML
                          Spy, so I would be interested to hear back from someone who can tell me
                          what
                          happens. I used TurboXML 2.3.1, XSV 1.4, and Xerces (via Topologi
                          Collaborative Markup Editor, version 1.1).

                          Cheers,
                          Tony.
                          ====
                          Anthony B. Coates
                          London Market Systems Limited
                          33 Throgmorton Street, London, EC2N 2BR
                          http://www.londonmarketsystems.com/
                          mailto:abcoates@...
                          Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
                          [MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language), http://www.mddl.org/%5d
                          [FpML Arch WG Member (Financial Products Markup Language),
                          http://www.fpml.org/%5d
                          This Email may contain confidential information and/or copyright
                          material and is intended for the use of the addressee only.
                          Any unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive this Email by
                          mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply
                          facility in your e-mail software.
                          Email is not a secure method of communication and London Market Systems
                          Limited cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of
                          this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this email for virus
                          infection, for which London Market Systems Limited accepts no
                          responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please
                          London Market Systems Limited.

                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        • Anthony B. Coates
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 14, 2003
                            ** Reply to message from "Laurent Le Meur" <laurent.lemeur@...> on Mon, 13
                            Jan 2003 17:57:41 +0100

                            Cher Laurent,

                            > I tried your samples on XMLSpy5.release2 ; unfortunately, even
                            > "invalidContent.xml" is seen as valid using this software. XMLSpy
                            > doesn't seem to use the embedded "schemaLocation" information.

                            That's disappointing to hear.

                            > A question about your sample: is DataContent the proper place for the
                            > embedded "schemaLocation" attribute, or should it be Weather (the first
                            > element using this schema) ?

                            The proper location is the root element, which will normally be "NewsML". I
                            made "DataContent" the root in my samples, only because starting with a
                            "NewsML" element would have made the samples larger and less clear.

                            > NITF being the recommended representation for text, we could import the
                            > nitf schema reference in the NewsML schema ... but this wouldn't solve
                            > the problem for those who use XHTML as text representation.

                            One could try the XHTML Schemas from

                            http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/NOTE-xhtml1-schema-20020902/Overview.html

                            That said, I would expect XHTML providers to both (a) restrict the range of
                            XHTML elements that they use, and (b) extend XHTML with other elements. XHTML
                            is designed for both these things. As such, would expect XHTML providers to
                            provide their own tailored Schema for their XHTML content. When I worked for
                            Reuters, they were not embedding content within NewsML, they always linked to
                            external content. This meant that their XHTML could use the DTD, rather than a
                            Schema.

                            > As for you idea of adding a "targetNamespace" to the NewsML schema, it's
                            > definitely something to rise in Nice next month.

                            OK, great.

                            Bien amicalement,
                            Tony.
                            ====
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 14, 2003
> [...]

                              This Email may contain confidential information and/or copyright material and is intended for the use of the addressee only.
                              Any unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive this Email by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your e-mail software.
                              Email is not a secure method of communication and London Market Systems Limited cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this email for virus infection, for which London Market Systems Limited accepts no responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please request a hard copy. Unless otherwise stated any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not represent those of London Market Systems Limited.
                            • Thomas Olsson
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 19, 2003
                                > As for you idea of adding a "targetNamespace" to the NewsML schema, it's
                                > definitely something to rise in Nice next month.

                                An official NewsML namespace would be wonderful and would solve a lot of things for us.

                                /Thomas

                                ---
                                Thomas Olsson | mailto:thomas@... | http://www.vinga.se
                                <http://www.vinga.se/> Vinga System AB | SNAIL: Forsta Langgatan 30 | Ph. +46 31 428270
                                Sweden | 413 27 Gothenburg, Sweden | Fax +46 31 428275