Automating workflow for a News agency.

  • aalam_mk
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2002
      Dear NewsML members,

      We are a content creation company, which specializes in Indian
      Entertainment related content. We syndicate our content through our
      web interface. We have taken the initiatives to implement NewsML,
      and, so far, we have completed the initial phase of conversion of
      content to NewsML.

      We are presently working on a system to automate the workflow at
      our organization where there are editors, writers, sub-editors etc.
      I want to know which is the preffered DB model for storing content. I
      understand that NewsML is the representation of the News content and
      not the exact way of storing the content. I would also be grateful if
      you could provide me information about any source(s) that gives
      details about software, systems and conventions used in a News
      agency which is looking to standardize/automate its operations and
      workflow.

      Thanks,
      Muhammad Khalid
    • Ravi Dugal
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2002
        Dear Mr. Khalid

        We are an Indian company with a comprehensive editorial workflow software
        based on NewsML. We have 2 versions of DB- Lotus Notes Domino and MS SQL.

        There are modules for news aggregation from wire and FTP servers, security
        and access rights based workflow across desks / users / web section /
        bureaus. SmartNews - the complete workflow solution today is used by
        Malayala Manorama, South India's leading multi location newspaper

        The web publishing module automates publishing NewsML based stories on web
        with user oriented configuration of number of channels, stories per channel,
        graphics and banners. There is a subscription module for distributing
        content in NewsML format. This module is currently used by United News of
        India (www.uniindia.com)

        Content can also be published for print using our NewsML xtensions on Quark
        and plugins on InDesign. Updated content from Quark / InDesign can be
        re-exported as NewsML and this facility is currently being used by Al Bayan
        for Arabic content from Quark Xpress

        You would find more information on our web site www.sansuisoftware.com.
        Please feel free to contact Ajay Aggarwal, our Director responsible for
        Indian operations based in Delhi. His mobile is +91 98101 15389. I look
        after the US and the UK markets and you are most welcome to discuss this
        issue with anyone of us

        Thank You
        Regards
        Ravi Dugal
        Sansui Software USA Inc. (+1-732-516-0430)
        Sansui Software UK Ltd (+44-1452-535786)
        Sansui Software Pvt. Ltd. India (+91-20-6630501)

        > We are a content creation company, which specializes in Indian
        > Entertainment related content. We syndicate our content through our
        > web interface. We have taken the initiatives to implement NewsML,
        > and, so far, we have completed the initial phase of conversion of
        > content to NewsML.
        >
        > We are presently working on a system to automate the workflow at
        > our organization where there are editors, writers, sub-editors etc.
        > I want to know which is the preffered DB model for storing content. I
        > understand that NewsML is the representation of the News content and
        > not the exact way of storing the content. I would also be grateful if
        > you could provide me information about any source(s) that gives
        > details about software, systems and conventions used in a News
        > agency which is looking to standardize/automate its operations and
        > workflow.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Muhammad Khalid

      • Khalid Shahen

[...]