RE: [newsml] Associations between seperate data withen one NewsML document

  • Jason Markos
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2001
      Hi

      This is not a NewsML specific solution, but we have been doing some
      investigation into the use of XLink. XLink, combined with Xpath, will
      allow you to address specific points in a NewsML file and relate them to
      other files or points within those files. It also provides a route to
      capturing some of the meaning or semantics behind the link.

      Maybe this could help you.

      Jason

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2001
        NewsML can express associations between contentitems by grouping them
        together within a component. But I wonder if it is NewsML's job to express
        associations within contentitems?

        NewsML could express the association by breaking apart the text contentitem
        and grouping the paragraph and the image together within a component e.g.

        NewsComponent (Whole Story)
        NewsComponent (Beginning)
        .. stuff
        NewsComponent (Para associated with Image)
        Para
        Image
        NewsComponent (End)
        .. stuff

        But if you want to keep the text together, rather than breaking it up into
        objects that NewsML knows about, then maybe it is the job of the text
        encoding (NITF in the example) to express the association perhaps as Jason
        suggests using XLink.

        Another angle on this is if the point is to have the paragraph and the image
        render next to each other then obviously a style sheet would help you do
        this, but NewsML itself would not express the association.

        Jo

        Is there any way to create associations between images with certain
        paragraphs of text, where the image and text are seperate
        NewsComponents? I see you can have <p duid='xx'> in the text portion
        (using NITF), so is there a way for the image to 'associate' with
        this duid, the same way that NewsML tag <AssociatedWith> is used to
        link NewsItems?
        Appreciate any help!

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/