RE: [newsml-g2] How to Indicate that a Video is Pillarboxed?

  • Evain, Jean-Pierre
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2010

      HI Stuart,

      There is no way to do this with the content characteristics attributes but to rely on the original aspect ratio information.

      If you have 4:3 content then the aspect ratio is rightly 4:3.  You may want to convert this to 16:9 and you know you are converting from 4:3. The result would be tagged as 16:9.

      The question is "is the content of the 16:9 picture pillarboxed (or why not letterboxed if converting from a movie format to 16:9)?". Not much alternative but to add one or two flags. (I believe J)

      Regards,

      Jean-pierre

      Message 2 of 7 , May 5, 2010

        Good too.

        JP

        Message 3 of 7 , May 5, 2010
          Thanks JP and DC.  The Signal seems like the way to go.

          Given that two or three providers (maybe more?) have a need to express this information, does it make sense to promote the Source Aspect Ratio CV into an official G2 vocabulary?  Maybe as one of the newsContentCharacteristics?

          Regards,

          Stuart

          --
          [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillarbox

        • Ian Leveson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2010

            APTN has also now announced that it will switch to 16:9 format in November, and therefore there is at least a second news agency for whom it is going to be necessary to indicate whether a video news item is completely in native 16:9 or whether it contains video frames which were originally in another aspect ratio. It is thus now urgent that a meta data item is defined in the standard to flag the status of the whole clip (whether natively 16:9, "mixed", or "zoomed"). Establishing a new attribute in the NewsContentCharacteristics to do this would strike me as being sensible.

            However, neither letterbox nor pillarbox formats are 16:9 and if one wishes to either avoid these frames within a longer clip or else transform the video contained in them to "zoom" the content up to 16:9, it is also necessary to be able to identify the video sequence(s) which is/are involved within a whole longer video news clip. Would such a requirement be within the remit of NewsML-G2 or does it already exceed it? Any ideas about how this might be achieved?

            Ian Leveson

            ===
            Posted through Grouply
            Create your own group!