RE: [newsml-g2] Re: urn guid

    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2010
      Hi Hamda

      As the name tells the "itemMeta" elements relate to the news item as a
      whole. Thus you do not link to another itemMeta element but to another news
      item: use the residref attribute and apply the guid of the other news item
      to it, do the same with the version attribute if you want to link to a
      specific version of the other news item. If you want to link to another news
      item regardless of its version then don't use the version attribute.

      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2010
        thank you , now i understand.
        just i want know what is the GUID that i must use
        bevause i will not send my files, i just need my files on local
        so what kind of GUID i must use, or can i use TAG inspite i dont know how to use the TAG.
        thank you

      • hamda
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2010
          yes right,
          but if i think i can add new element to link partmeta to another partmeta right?

          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2010
            Hi Hamda,

            the NewsML-G2 specification document defines for the guid:

            "A newsItem MUST have a guid attribute, which is a persistent and globally
            unique identifier. The guid is
            required to be in the form of an IRI. Any IRI capable of acting as a
            globally unique identifier is accepted."

            An IRI is the international version of a URI.
            You can use any kind of identifier which complies with the requirements
            above, e.g. the NewsML URN (see RFC 3085) or the TAG URN

            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2010
              > You can use any kind of identifier which complies with the requirements
              above, e.g. the NewsML URN (see RFC 3085) or the TAG URN

              fyi, TR (Thomson Reuters) uses Tag URIs for G2 Item GUIDs.

              Tag URI ref:

              Example, for NewsML-G2:
                  tag:reuters.com,2010:newsml_TRE628005
              TR builds up the URI as:
                  tag:<provider>,<year>:<unique-identifier-for-the-provider>

              Regards
              Dave Compton
              Senior Technologist.
              G2-Standards Technical Owner: NewsML-G2, EventsML-G2.

              Thomson Reuters

              Phone: +44 (0)20 7542 8341
              Mobile: +44 (0) 7990 56 8341

              wrote:

              Hi Hamda

              > As the name tells the "itemMeta" elements relate to
              the news item as a
              > whole. Thus you do not link to another itemMeta
              element but to another
              news
              > item: use the residref attribute and
              apply the guid of the other news item
              > to it, do the same with the
              version attribute if you want to link to a
              > specific version of the other
              news item. If you want to link to another
              news
              > item regardless of its
              version then don't use the version attribute.

              > From:
              href="mailto:newsml-g2%40yahoogroups.com">newsml-g2@yahoogrou ps.com [mailto:newsml-g2@yahoogrou ps.com] On
              Behalf
              > Of hamda
              > Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 11:44
              PM
              > To:
              href="mailto:newsml-g2%40yahoogroups.com">newsml-g2@yahoogrou ps.com

              > ok
              > itemMeta have
              element "LINK"

              href="mailto:newsml-g2%40yahoogroups.com">newsml-g2@yahoogrou ps.com, "Michael Steidl \(IPTC\)" <mdirector@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Hamda
              > > >
              > > > Re the
              <newsItem ... line (be careful about the casing!)
              > > > The value
              of the attributes of the root element are completely
              > independent
              > > > from the location where a newsItem XML exists - so whether it is in
              > > local
              > > > file system, or on a web or ftp server,
              the attributes values must
              > always
              > > be
              > > > the
              same.

              > > > Re partid: this id is local to the
              XML instance, that means even if a
              > > > partMeta is about exactly
              the same piece of content in two different
              > > > newsItems the
              @partid may be different. The only requirement is: no
              two

              @partids in a newsItem may be the same.

              Michael

              Friday, April 30, 2010 12:56 PM
              > > > To:
              href="mailto:newsml-g2%40yahoogroups.com">newsml-g2@yahoogrou ps.com
              > > > Subject: [newsml-g2] urn guid

              hi,
              > > > i must use my files on local
              > > > but i dont
              know what to put in the line of
              > > > <newsitem
              guid="....

              href="http://www.iptc.org/goto/ipp.">http://www.iptc. org/goto/ ipp. Any posting is assumed to be submitted
              > under
              > > > the
              conditions of this IPTC IP Policy.

              ------------ --------- --------- ------

              Any member of this IPTC moderated Yahoo group must comply with the

              Intellectual Property Policy of the IPTC, available at

              href="http://www.iptc.org/goto/ipp.">http://www.iptc. org/goto/ ipp. Any posting is assumed to be submitted
              under
              > > the conditions of
              this IPTC IP Policy.

              > Any member
              of this IPTC moderated Yahoo group must comply with the
              > Intellectual
              Property Policy of the IPTC, available at

              href="http://www.iptc.org/goto/ipp.">http://www.iptc. org/goto/ ipp. Any posting is assumed to be submitted under
              > the conditions of this IPTC
              IP Policy.
              > Yahoo! Groups