RE: [newsml-g2] News Linked Data Summit

  • dave.compton@thomsonreuters.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2010
      The News Linked Data Summit was timely, (coincidentally) being held the day after the formal release of the data.gov [1] datasets [2]. The availability of such datasets opens up the possibilities of creating complex data mashups from the linked data [3] that is now being made available in a common format such as RDF. Note that the TR OpenCalais entity data can be obtained in RDF format [4]. The BBC presented their nature offering [5], which is the result of combining data (animal, habitat, sounds, classification, video, news, vulnerability etc.) from many disparate sources.

      Rgds
      Dave Compton
      Senior Technologist. NewsML Technical Owner.

      Thomson Reuters

      Phone: +44 (0)20 7542 8341
      Mobile: +44 (0) 7990 56 8341

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2010
        If I was to prepare a file that listed equivalences between different sports data ontologies (say SportsML, Olympics Data Format and DPA-SportsML), what would be the best format to use? Because we are dealing with general "classes" here (league, event, team, player, etc.) rather than more specific "concepts" or instances, I thought OWL would be the ticket rather than conceptItem, even though those things are certainly concepts. OWL has a rich vocab convering ontology properties.

        My aim is to see if mapping equivalences between ontologies (usually associated with a specific data provider) would help in generating knowledge items of equivalent concepts from different data providers -- either for documentation purposes or even automation if APIs are set up.

        Hope that was clear :) Anyone see any use in this? Anyone doing anything similar outside of sports?