Reference in newsItem to the packageItem(s) it belongs to...?

  • Paul Harman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2010
      For operational optimisation reasons, and also to assist our customers,
      it would be useful for me to include a link inside a newsItem of all the
      packageItems it is currently known to belong to.

      I was thinking of using <link> for this, but there isn't really an
      appropriate existing qcode in the irel vocabulary - I'm looking for
      something like "irel:belongsTo". I can of course extend the scheme
      myself if need be.

      The <memberOf> element doesn't really convey the semantics I'm trying to
      express.

      How have other NewsML-G2 implementers met this requirement, if at all?

      Has this been deliberately omitted to avoid the issue that adding a
      newsItem to a packageItem should not require a new version of the
      newsItem (in order to add the new link?) - I fully understand that.

      Paul

      This email is from the Press Association. For more information, see www.pressassociation.com.
      This email may contain confidential information.
      Only the addressee is permitted to read, copy, distribute or otherwise use this email or any attachments.
      If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately.
      Any opinion expressed in this email is personal to the sender and may not reflect the opinion of the Press Association.
      Any email reply to this address may be subject to interception or monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.
    • dave.compton@thomsonreuters.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 21, 2010
        > How have other NewsML-G2 implementers met this requirement, if at all?
        TR position:
        1. We do not add 'belongs to package' links to items. Reason: Every time an item is ref'd by another package, that item i/ would need to be updated (with a link), and more importantly ii/ re-published. Take this to the limit, where many packages reference many items (as is often the case), and the consumer will receive multiple instances of many items, possibly varying only by the items' added links. This is a good way to reduce customers. Additionally, this packaging approach has a negative impact on bandwidth, in terms of item republishing; this goes against our light-touch packaging paradigm.
        2. We do offer customers a web services API, where they can issue queries such as:
        - "Which packages reference this item=id123"?
        - "Which items link to this item=id123"?
        etc.

        Rgds
        DC