Named write-throughs

  • Paul Harman
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 5, 2009
      PA has a naming scheme for its write-throughs. The first write-through
      of a story is called the "Substitute", the second is called the "Lead".
      Then we have a succession of numbered leads e.g. "2nd Lead", "3rd Lead",
      etc until such point as the content reaches a milestone (tied into
      newspaper publishing schedules) when the next write-through is named
      "Nightlead"; then we get into ordinal nightleads e.g. "2nd Nightlead",
      and so on.

      These names are well-known and understood in the UK media industry, and
      so I need to be able to support them somehow. In NITF, I use
      du-key/@version for this.

      As ever, I could invent a namespaced element to handle this... But I'm
      interested to hear if the concept of naming write-throughs is common
      enough to warrant a proper home in NewsML-G2.

      Paul
    • Paul Harman
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 5, 2009
        From: newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com] On
        Behalf Of Paul Harman
        > In NITF, I use du-key/@version for this.

        ...and in IIM, 2:007 (Edit status)

        Paul
      • kelvin_holland
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 14, 2009
          Paul,

          Use <genre>? The IPTC Genre NewsCodes have values for "update" and
          "wrapup". This seems to align with what you are trying to express,
          although you would have to use your own scheme to get exactly what you
          want.

          Kelvin

          --- In newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Harman" <paul.harman@...> wrote:

          > PA has a naming scheme for its write-throughs. The first write-through
          > of a story is called the "Substitute", the second is called the
          "Lead".
          > Then we have a succession of numbered leads e.g. "2nd Lead", "3rd
          Lead",
          > etc until such point as the content reaches a milestone (tied into
          > newspaper publishing schedules) when the next write-through is named
          > "Nightlead"; then we get into ordinal nightleads e.g. "2nd Nightlead",
          > and so on.
          >
          > These names are well-known and understood in the UK media industry,
          and
          > so I need to be able to support them somehow. In NITF, I use
          > du-key/@version for this.
          >
          > As ever, I could invent a namespaced element to handle this... But I'm
          > interested to hear if the concept of naming write-throughs is common
          > enough to warrant a proper home in NewsML-G2.
          >
          > Paul

        • Darko Gulija
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 14, 2009
            I would not say <genre> is the right one: genre should express journalistic nature of the story, and this is in fact "editing stage" - how far has the story developed through it's lifecycle (it will probably have the same genre in all the versions).

            I remember we discussed a property with similar name, but could not find it in the spec (I have 2.0 PCL spec with me - did we add it later ?)

            Misha, Michael - do you remember what happened with editing stage - I remember few quite lively discussions on the matter ?

            2009/7/14 kelvin_holland <kholland@...>
            Paul,

            Use <genre>? The IPTC Genre NewsCodes have values for "update" and
            "wrapup". This seems to align with what you are trying to express,
            although you would have to use your own scheme to get exactly what you
            want.

            Kelvin

            --- In newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Harman" <paul.harman@...> wrote:

            > PA has a naming scheme for its write-throughs. The first write-through
            > of a story is called the "Substitute", the second is called the
            "Lead".
            > Then we have a succession of numbered leads e.g. "2nd Lead", "3rd
            Lead",
            > etc until such point as the content reaches a milestone (tied into
            > newspaper publishing schedules) when the next write-through is named
            > "Nightlead"; then we get into ordinal nightleads e.g. "2nd Nightlead",
            > and so on.
            >
            > These names are well-known and understood in the UK media industry,
            and
            > so I need to be able to support them somehow. In NITF, I use
            > du-key/@version for this.
            >
            > As ever, I could invent a namespaced element to handle this... But I'm
            > interested to hear if the concept of naming write-throughs is common
            > enough to warrant a proper home in NewsML-G2.
            >
            >  Paul

            ------------------------------------

            Any member of this IPTC moderated Yahoo group must comply with the Intellectual Property Policy of the IPTC, available at http://www.iptc.org/goto/ipp. Any posting is assumed to be submitted under the conditions of this IPTC IP Policy.
            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               mailto:newsml-g2-digest@yahoogroups.com
               mailto:newsml-g2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Darko Gulija
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 14, 2009
              I checked the list archive after I realized we never added a specific property for this.

              The last "solution" I found was to use <signal> property and create a special CV for various "leads" (Message #3277 & #3278).

              The other option was to define specific "editStatus" property, but it was never done.

              The argument I remember was that every provider had its own meaning for the same terms, so it was impossible to create a common CV.

              Signal sounds better to me than <genre> for the matter.

              ------------------------------------

            • dave.compton@thomsonreuters.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 15, 2009
                TR position:

                a/ We have a granular Message Type (primarily from our text head end), which has implied actions related to each value.
                Implemented as: <itemClass qcode="icls:text" rtr:msgType="S" />
                Values:

                Message

                Type(s)

                Msg Id(s)

                [NTM 25]

                Msg Type(s)

                [IIM 2:40]

                Implied

                Processing

                Story

                Continuation

                None

                None

                New Story

                Continuation

                (none)

                First take - all data used to create story; subsequent take - if story doesn't exist then process as first take, else... product/topic codes, named items added to current lists (duplicates removed); new text added to story body.

                Corrected (*3)

                NY2000 Corrected

                Corrected

                New Year 2000 Corrected

                Apply to existing OrigId if new message OrigId exists in the database within previous 24 hours. Process as per Subsequent Take, plus drop old story body; headline replaced if included; update story time.

                Correction

                Correction

                Headline replaced if included; new text added to story body.

                Message Type not encouraged.

                NY2000 Delete

                Deletion

                New Year 2000 Deletion

                Apply to existing OrigId if new message OrigId exists in the database within previous 24 hours. Whole story is deleted

                Overwrite (*3)

                Writethrough

                Overwrite

                Writethrough

                New RIC generated; drop story body and add new text

                Message Type not encouraged.

                Replace

                Replacement

                Apply to existing OrigId if new message OrigId exists in the database within previous 24 hours.

                Story is deleted and then processed as first take (equivalent to ‘D’, followed by ‘S’).

                Check

                Line check message

                Not a story. Automatically produced by S77.

                Not passed on.

                Test

                Line test message

                (Process as per Check : ‘M’)

                Not passed on.

                Quiet

                Quiet

                Alternative client-initiated test message.

                Not passed.

                Invalid

                (Not in the Msg Ids listed in this table)

                (invalid)

                (none)

                (Invalid Message Type: Warn; possibly reject.

                Not passed on.

                b/ The above is also mapped to a broad Edit Status:
                Implemented as:
                <signal qcode="edStat:N" />
                Values:

                edStat

                Edit Status: As below.

                ·         N          : New !DEF!

                ·         C          : Correction

                ·         U          : Update

                ·         D          :Del etion

                ·         T          : Test

                Rgds
                DC

                ------------ --------- --------- ------

                   http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/newsml- g2/

                   http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/newsml- g2/join

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 26, 2009
                  Late addition to the old discussion:

                  I was doing something completely different and come across "itemMeta/role" property - which is the one I was looking for (and the right one for the problem).

                  The definition is:

                  10.6.114 Role in the Workflow
                  Role in the Workflow
                  (XML) Data Model          Element
                  Namespace (prefix)        nar
                  Name                            role
                  Title                              Role in the Workflow
                  Definition                       The role of the Item in the editorial workflow.
                  User Note(s)                  Among other possibilities this property may indicate the importance of the item in a fee by concepts like “flash”, “bulletin”, “alert”, “urgent”, “newsbreak”, and so on.
                  XML Schema Spec At:   Both CCL and PCL
                  Datatype                       QualPropType (page 212)

                  Hope it's not too late :)

                  ------------------------------------

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 26, 2009
                    Thanks Darko.

                    itemMeta/role is a QCodePropType, so it only allows values drawn from a controlled vocabulary. Unfortunately, the roles I need to use are - whilst not uncontrolled - not suitable to put into a CV, because they are essentially unbounded. The sequence is: Sunstitute, Lead, 2nd Lead, 3rd Lead, 4th Lead ... 99999999999999th Lead, Nightlead, 2nd Nightlead ..... aleph-null Nightlead.

                    So the best I could do for 2nd Lead perhaps is:

                        <itemMeta>
                            <role qcode="pawritethroughrole:Lead" pa:ordinal="2"/>

                    ...bit I'd prefer to be allowed to do:

                        <itemMeta>
                            <role literal="2nd Lead"/>

                    Could this change be accommodated?

                        Paul

                    ------------ --------- --------- ------

                    Any member of this IPTC moderated Yahoo group must comply with the Intellectual Property Policy of the IPTC, available at http://www.iptc. org/goto/ ipp. Any posting is assumed to be submitted under the conditions of this IPTC IP Policy.
                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                       http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/newsml- g2/

                    <*> Your email settings:
                       Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                       http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/newsml- g2/join
                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                       mailto:newsml-g2-digest@ yahoogroups. com
                       mailto:newsml-g2-fullfeatu red@yahoogroups. com

                       http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

                    This email is from the Press Association. For more information, see www.pressassociation.com. This email may contain confidential information. Only the addressee is permitted to read, copy, distribute or otherwise use this email or any attachments. If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately. Any opinion expressed in this email is personal to the sender and may not reflect the opinion of the Press Association. Any email reply to this address may be subject to interception or monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.
                  • Darko Gulija
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 28, 2009
                      See no harm in it. We could discuss it on one of the next conf calls.

                      However, be aware that the new versions of the standards family have just been approved at the AGM, so - if accepted -  it would (probaly) not be finalized before the spring meeting.

                      Would such a solution satisfy your needs ?

                      Darko

                      ------------------------------------

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 28, 2009
                        Hi Paul

                        my 2 cents on this:

                        I'm wondering how exactly the value of itemMeta/role will be used:

                        - for filtering on the receiver side? Then the values should be known to the receiver as else he could not set up a filter efficiently = some CV is required.

                        - or is it only a string to be communicated to the receiver? In this case a literal value alone does not help, the "human readable" string must be in a <name> child of the role.

                        But: actually we already have something for this purpose: the edNote. You could do this

                        <itemMeta>
                            <edNote role="paednrl:writethroughinfo">99999999999999th Lead</edNote>
                        </itemMeta>

                        Sent by:
                        Michael Steidl
                        Managing Director of the IPTC <mdirector@...>
                        "Information Technology for News"
                        Visit us on the web at  http://www.iptc.org

                      • Paul Harman
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 1, 2009
                          From: Michael Steidl (IPTC) [mailto:mdirector@...]
                          > - or is it only a string to be communicated to the receiver?
                          > In this case a literal value alone does not help, the
                          > "human readable" string must be in a <name> child of the role.

                          Point taken. I'd need to invent an @literal then, but that's okay - I'm
                          doing it in loads of places already.

                          > But: actually we already have something for this purpose: the
                          > edNote.

                          Er... Yes, I could do that. I'm already using edNote with other @roles
                          for other purposes, but I suppose that's fair. The thing is, it is about
                          the life cycle of the news item, and that's the explicit purpose of
                          <role>, so I'd rather use <role>.

                          Paul

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 1, 2009
                            Is "nth Lead" really a role? Is it not the nth version of a "Lead"?

                            Kelvin