Star rating for content

  • Paul Harman
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2009
      I have a need to apply a "star rating" to content, indicating how good
      it is from an editorial judgement point of view.

      The aim is for a wire feed to be sortable by rank so that consumers of
      that feed can quickly judge which are the "better" stories - not
      necessarily the most important or the most newsworthy - without having
      to explicitly publish an enormous packageItem containing all of the
      recent material and spupplying an explicit 'rank, which would require
      editorial staff to manage that packageItem on a constant basis.

      This doesn't feel like it fits neatly into <urgency> and it's certainly
      not <priority> (from newsMessage). @rank doesn't quite capture this
      either, because rank is used as an explicit ordering (can 2 items in the
      same package have the same rank?) but also because the star rating isn't
      really about membership of a collection and the ordering within that
      collection.

      What's more, the rating of (e.g.) an image might vary considerably
      according to context - it might be a 5* image for use today, but no use
      at all from an archive point of view (1*).

      Do other G2 users have a similar need, and if so how are you meeting it?

      Paul
    • Jon Garfunkel
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27, 2009
        Howdy all -- I'm not a NewsML user, but I am involved with a number of
        conversations on semantic web. This is getting new interest through
        microblogging these days: many more people are adding links through
        Twitter/Facebook than ever did through blogging/delicious/digg.

        Here's my current thinking.
        http://civilities.net/Rethinking_Linking

        Your "star rating" I have been calling "Quality Tags".
        Priority I cover in Star-Notation.

        Jon

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 27, 2009
          Paul

          good point, I was expecting this will come up sooner or later: already now for consumer- oriented photo metadata the "rating" property is a must - make a Windows Vista folder a photo repository and you will see a line of stars in the Explorer for each image file.

          Anyway - what exactly do you want to convey:

          - the rating of content by somebody

          - the ranking resulting from a rating.

          What we have to consider is:

          - a rating tends to be absolute: somebody thinks a piece of content deserves 3 stars - period. If a client receives a feed of items with ratings an application on the user end could rank them on a user interface. Currently we have no such property in G2 - but having this photo issue in the back of my head I guess we need it sooner or later - and your request could trigger it. I could think of a <rating> property under contentMeta - with a @role attribute: think of the Oscars, there is one for the director, one for the editor, one for the music, one for special effects - this translates to ratings with different @roles.

          - a ranking tends to be relative: a piece of content has a rank in a specific scope: "among all items in a package", "among all items of this feed sent within the last hour" ... Therefore in G2 only properties acting as a link to other resources have a @rank attribute. The implicit semantic is: the ranking applies to the scope of links delivered with this item.

          Michael

          On 27 Mar 2009 at 16:00  Paul Harman wrote:

          > I have a need to apply a "star rating" to content, indicating how good
          > it is from an editorial judgement point of view.
          >
          > The aim is for a wire feed to be sortable by rank so that consumers of
          > that feed can quickly judge which are the "better" stories - not
          > necessarily the most important or the most newsworthy - without having
          > to explicitly publish an enormous packageItem containing all of the
          > recent material and spupplying an explicit 'rank, which would require
          > editorial staff to manage that packageItem on a constant basis.
          >
          > This doesn't feel like it fits neatly into <urgency> and it's certainly
          > not <priority> (from newsMessage). @rank doesn't quite capture this
          > either, because rank is used as an explicit ordering (can 2 items in
          > the
          > same package have the same rank?) but also because the star rating
          > isn't
          > really about membership of a collection and the ordering within that
          > collection.
          >
          > What's more, the rating of (e.g.) an image might vary considerably
          > according to context - it might be a 5* image for use today, but no use
          > at all from an archive point of view (1*).
          >
          > Do other G2 users have a similar need, and if so how are you meeting
          > it?
          >
          >          Paul

          > <*> Your email settings:
          >     Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > <*> To change settings online go to:
          >     (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > <*> To change settings via email:
          >     mailto:newsml-g2-digest@yahoogroups.com
          >     mailto:newsml-g2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          >     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Sent by:
          Michael Steidl
          Managing Director of the IPTC <mdirector@...>
          "Information Technology for News"
          Visit us on the web at  http://www.iptc.org

        • Paul Harman
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 27, 2009
            I'm definitely after something to capture the first of those semantics - an absolute *rating* (although items can have multiple ratings, as you say).

            Your second point /ranking/ is adequately covered by @rank when creating a packageItem.