research query: NewsML and RSS

  • Jon Garfunkel
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 17, 2006
      Hi-- I just discovered NewsML and NewsCodes quite recently-- I've been researching the syndication and metadata areas. I occasionlly help out one of the open-source CMS tools, and I've been trying to find out recently whether RSS was ever going to evolve.

      I was researching the development of RSS from five years ago, and saw NewsML cross into the discussion, and summarily be ignored. So RSS remained a protocol "for the masses" with limited extensibility demonstrated. I'm aware that Nature has been using the PRISM-flavored RDF/RSS, but that's it.

      I'm curious to just learn more. I imagine a data interface which is vastly more powerful for searching stories than RSS. Am I correct?

      This research paper from 2003, from Carol Perruso, who I believe was head of latimes.com five years back, seems to get to the hard of what I'm looking into:

      NewsML and its sister NITF for text will likely continue to develop as robust B2B applications for publishers, serving consumers only indirectly by facilitating the automatic feeds to publishers’ Web sites. NewsML allows publishers to describe multimedia news assets with one XML application and metadata standard. NITF allows deep description of text assets. Both of these are significant advances.

      But whether NewsML will ultimately emerge as the standard for feeds directly to consumers is much less likely unless IPTC focuses considerable resources on this goal.

      Thanks in advance. I anticipate posting my findings.
      Feel free to reply to me directly, if this is not a fit topic for discussion here.

      Jon

      Jon Garfunkel
      Boston, Mass.
    • Michael Steidl/MDir IPTC
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 19, 2006
        Jon

        thanks for your input to the NewsML 2 discussion, I guess it addresses some
        issues of general interest:

        * what is NewsML 2:

        NewsML 2 is a family of news exchange standards focused on B2B and built on a
        common technology ("NewsML 2 Architecture - NAR") to be considered as successor
        to NewsML 1 and extending its features. (Aside: currently we started an
        experimental phase for the NAR - the standards based on the NAR are still
        ahead.)

        While NewsML 1 - as a single standard - covered wrapping of news content,
        providing metadata about this news content, packaging of several items and
        providing an envelope for transmitting either a single item or a package of
        items this conglormerate of functions has been split into several structures.
        But - and that is very important - the functionality of NewsML 1 is maintained
        in NewsML 2 family, only by different and more clearly structured technical
        means.

        * how does NewsML 2 standards compare to syndication formats like RSS and Atom:

        - as you mentioned in your posting and as said above: NewsML 2 has a focus on
        the B2B news exchange, hence from e.g. news agencies to newspapers, magazine,
        radio and TV stations, online news providers. And to some extent from news
        publishers (all of the above) to news aggregators.

        - providing an RSS-like news feed to the public (the consumer, hence B2C) is
        not the foremost goal of NewsML 2, but the IPTC is aware of this use case for
        business consumers of NewsML 2 feeds, primarily online news providers. Hence
        NewsML 2 should provide exchange formats that can be easily transformed into
        RSS/Atom if a news provider wants to do so to enjoy its consumers.

        - as you suspected in your posting NewsML 2 provides a much richer set of
        metadata than RSS or Atom as this is required by professional users as e.g.
        they filter comprehensive news feeds by metadata.

        - NewsML 2 is able to address news resources in a professional environment,
        news items stored in databases, and in a web environment - while RSS/Atom is
        only able to address and access web resources.

        - The future will show if B2C oriented online news providers will add a NewsML
        2 based feed to their RSS/Atom feeds - eg. for the extended metadata features -
        but this depends a/ on the online news providers and b/ on the makers of feed
        consuming software ("RSS Readers" etc,.)

        - The IPTC as member organisation of the (professional) news industry aims to
        provide news exchange standards of high quality. To improve quality another
        time is the main goal of the development of NewsML 2. And we try to achieve a
        wide adoption in the news business, whether this will result in a cascaded
        adoption of IPTC standards at the end user's desk or not will the future show.

        Michael

        http://polaris.gseis.ucla.edu/cperruso/termpapertest.htm
[...]

        http://civilities.net/

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "newsml-2" on the web.

        Sent by:
        Michael Steidl
        Managing Director of the IPTC <mdirector@...>
        "Information Technology for News"
        Visit us on the web at http://www.iptc.org
      • Jon Garfunkel
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 19, 2006

          - The future will show if B2C oriented online news providers will add a NewsML
          2 based feed to their RSS/Atom feeds - eg. for the extended metadata features -
          but this depends a/ on the online news providers and b/ on the makers of feed
          consuming software ("RSS Readers" etc,.)

          Yes, thanks, I'll try to get the word out. Much appreciated.
          Part of what I'm doing is communicating the urgency of the need to some of the people in the open source community.

          Jon
        • Laurent Le Meur
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 20, 2006
            To add to Michael's introduction to the scope of NewsML.

            NewsML2 firstly define a model for the representation and management of multimedia news. The NAR modelling document [1] does not use XML artefacts, but rather defines objects (in the OO sense) with supporting UML diagrams.

            It is therefore possible to create a NewsML CMS (content management system), develop APIs that process NewsML objects, store NewsML objects in a relational database or in a native XML database (and there is a current experimental project at AFP in this area).

            The XML serialization of such objects is a perfect way to exchange them in a B2B workflow. This is why NewsML is specified as an XML language.

            So where RSS provides the minimum information needed to select and access content on the Web (i.e. acts as a "proxy"), where Atom add the capability to embed a single piece of content in an entry, NewsML define a way to represent the full composite structure of cross-media content.

            RSS and Atom provide a way to bring information to its final user, and heavily rely on Web pull protocols (namely HTTP, using content negotiation to access different content renditions); NewsML provides a way to carry complete news information independently of any specific distribution protocol.

            But NewsML2 does not define any exchange protocol. Therefore it is not a syndication standard per se.

            Therefore RSS/Atom and NewsML2 are complementary.

            Some other differences:

            RSS and Atom provide a minimalist set of content metadata, and the expression of detailed properties requires the definition of extension modules (non-standardized); NewsML defines a broader set of news oriented metadata (including publishing and rights), because it is felt that the larger the standardization scope is, the better system interoperability is achieved.

            A great deal of work is put in the control of NewsML2 metadata values. A controlled value is a language independent code in an explicit scheme, as opposed to a raw label. Controlled metadata values are key for cross-language cross-provider cross-media information handling. All NewsML2 properties values can be controlled via the use of CURIEs [2]. The Atom category element features this kind of structure (via a {scheme,term} attribute pair); same for the RSS2.0 category element (via a domain attribute). RSS1.0 being based on RDF, it handles this kind of controlled values via URI References (resource identifiers).

            A common use case will certainly be for a provider to adopting e.g. Atom for content syndication, with on-the-fly creation of Atom entries out of NewsML2 "server-side" multimedia items (news and package items essentially).

            Last point, topic items are - I believe - one of the most interesting things in NewsML2. Topic items will usually created by specific providers, be kept in a knowledge base, and used for sophisticated indexation and navigation across news content. There is a lot to say about topic items, and we have not finished specifying them property. There is no such feature in Atom or RSS.

            Laurent Le Meur
            IPTC, NewsML2 Architecture WP chair
            Agence France Presse, head of Médialab

            [1] NAR model & specs: http://www.iptc.org/dev/#nar
            [2] CURIE note: http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/HTML/2005-10-27-CURIE

            This e-mail, and any file transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.

            For more information on Agence France-Presse, please visit our web site at http://www.afp.com