catalog - holder of knowledgeItems?

  • semantek@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2009
      Hi all,

      I was trying to get my head around what role "catalog" plays in the G2
      framework. Am I right to assume that it holds pointer to the scheme
      containing various KnowledgeItems?

      for example,
      <catalog>
      <scheme alias="jobcat" uri="http://examples/jobcat/"/>
      </catalog>

      where http://examples/jobcat/ defines various category concepts such as
      <concept qcode="jobcat:player">
      <name> Player </name>

      <concept qcode="jobcat:politician">
      <name> Politician </name>
      etc.

      Now when, I want to create a new Knowledge Item, I can include the
      above catalog and then can refer to Job categories from
      (http://examples/jobcat/) such as

      for example,
      <concept qcode="fur:footballer">
      <broader qcode="cpnat:person"></broader>
      <broader qcode="jobcat:player"></broader>

      Is this correct interpretation of the specification?

      Thanks

      Dhaval
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2009
        The catalog is a set of local bindings between scheme
        aliases and URIs. This is similar to the function of
        xmlns in XML Namespaces.

        So if the catalog says:
        <scheme alias="jobcat" uri="http://examples/jobcat/"/>
        and you encounter the job category "jobcat:clown", then
        the URI of that job category is:
        http://examples/jobcat/clown

        If the catalog says:
        <scheme alias="z9" uri="http://examples/jobcat/"/>
        and you encounter the job category "z9:clown", then
        the URI of that job category is still:
        http://examples/jobcat/clown

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2009
          Hi Dhaval

          only to refine a little bit on Misha's reply below:

          * catalogs are not related in any way to KnowledgeItems:

          - KnowledgeItems are made to convey information about a set of concepts

          - while a Catalog is made to provide a mapping between scheme aliases and scheme URIs - see Misha's mail below.

          * please be aware of an error in your example:

          * But as other G2 item also the Knowledge Item MUST have a catalog:

          <knowledgeItem .....>
          <catalog>
          <scheme alias="jobcat" uri="http://examples.com/jobcat/"/>
          </catalog>