IPTC Catalog file v5

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2008
      NewsML-G2 users:

      integral part of NewsML-G2 is a Catalog which is used to map the Scheme-URIs of used controlled vocabularies to aliases used by QCodes in a NewsML-G2 item.

      The IPTC provides a set of controlled vocabularies - branded as NewsCodes - to be used with NewsML-G2:

      - general information about NewsCodes and an overview of the existing vocabularies for G2- Standards in general and NewsML-G2 can be obtained from this page of the IPTC website:

      http://www.iptc.org/cms/site/index.html?channel=CH0103

      - information about the Catalog in general and the current IPTC-Catalog file - version 5 as of today - providing a mapping for all IPTC NewsCodes and even a few non-IPTC vocabularies - like the ISO country, language and currency codes - which can be used with G2-Standards can be found at http://www.iptc.org/goto?G2cataloginfo

      Any inquiry regarding the Catalog and the IPTC Catalog file should be sent to this Yahoo group.

      Kind regards

      Sent by:
      Michael Steidl
      Managing Director of the IPTC <mdirector@...>
      "Information Technology for News"
      Visit us on the web at  http://www.iptc.org

    • Paul Kelly
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 8, 2008
        In a packageItem, is there a way to provide information about the individual items grouped together in a package? What sort of stuff is available, names of items, how many there are, that kind of thing. Or are the referenced items assumed to speak for themselves?
        --
        --paul

        Paul Kelly
        Dir. of Operations
        XML Team: http://xmlteam.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
          In a packageItem you can include, for each item, any
          of the item's metadata, eg title, subject, description,
          etc. The only thing you can't include is the item
          content.

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 10, 2008
            >In a
            packageItem you can include, for each item, any
            of the item's metadata, eg title, subject, description,
            etc.

            Additionally note that:

            a/ For a given itemRef, the data associated with the item being referenced can be different in (what TR terms) the item hints.
            e.g.: If the original newsItem//headline was "IPTC present at the IFRA 2008 Expo" ... the packageItem//itemRef/headline could be "IPTC Presentation - IFRA" ... whic points to the item with headline of "IPTC present at the IFRA 2008 Expo".

            b/ Package-level info can be included too, e.g.: packageItem//description[ @role="descRole:summary" ] as "2008 Expo round-up"

            Rgds
            DC

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 10, 2008
              On 9 Nov 2008 at 8:40  Misha Wolf wrote:

              > In a packageItem you can include, for each item, any
              > of the item's metadata, eg title, subject, description,
              > etc.  The only thing you can't include is the item
              > content.

              Only a mild warning: by the XML Schema validation you can include content, but by the NewsML-G2 specs you should not and by the intentsions of the NAR developers you must not.

              (Hm, re-reading item 6.4 packageItem Content in the NewsML-G2 2.0 PCL specs I feel we are not outspoken enough:

              The itemRef element MAY contain metadata extracted from the target Item or Web resource. All metadata SHOULD be included directly as children of the itemRef element, without any wrapper element (e.g. neither itemMeta nor contentMeta). The recipient MUST NOT consider that such hints constitute a complete representation of the Item.

              ... does not explictly exclude the inclusion of content even only be human readable rules, like adding to the first sentence:

              ... resource, but any content from a target Item MUST NOT be included into the itemRef.)

              Michael

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 10, 2008
                Then let's raise an erratum to make our intent clear.

                Misha

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 11, 2008
                  Thanks guys, it's clear to me now. Looks like no restrictions under itemRef according to the schema but I presume that's just a limitation of the schema representation.

                  BTW Michael: looks like the new NAR zip (1.3) is missing xml.xsd.