Re: Starting NewsML G2

  • Neil Padgen
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 17, 2008
      Hi,

      I'm a colleague of Tony's; allow me to follow up on some of his points.

      --- In newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Steidl (IPTC)" <mdirector@...> wrote:

      > Tony
      >
      > a few quick responses below, not overlapping with what Misha has already addressed.
      >
      > On 16 Oct 2008 at 16:46 tcbbcm wrote:
      >

      > > So how would these map to a personalities store, which would be a
      > > timeline of key points in that person's life? I'm assuming one would
      > > use concept to be a person and he knowledge item would be the whole
      > > store. Is that the model?
      >
      > One person should be represented by one concept item. You can aggregate many other
      > items, e.g. a news item with an extensive biography or photos, by using <link>s from
      the
      > concept item.
      >
      > The knowledge item is actually a box where you can put in many concepts primarily for
      > distribution to other parties. E.g. a set of "celebrities divorced in 2008" ;-)
      >

      > > Can concepts be nested to represent the "key points"?
      >
      > What exactly do you have in mind?

      We maintain a large set of information on key personalities of the world, sourced from
      news items. For example, we might have:

      PUTIN, Vladimir Vladimirovitch
      Known as: Vladimir Vladimirovitch Putin
      Background:
      Born 7 October 1952 [*]
      Place of birth: Leningrad (St Petersburg) [*]
      Speaks fluent German [*]
      Timeline:
      9 August 1999: Becomes Russia's fifth Prime Minister in fifteen months [*]
      31 December 1999: Becomes acting President, following Boris Yeltsin's surprise
      resignation [*]
      26 March 2000: Elected as president [*]
      7 May 2008: Succeeded as president by Dmitriy Medvedev [*]
      Career:
      Ex-Prime Minister (08-1999 to 05-2000)
      Appointed in acting capacity 9 August 1999 [*]
      Appointment confirmed by Duma 17 August 1999 [*]
      Ex-President of the Russian Federation (05-2000 to 05-2008)
      Appointed in acting capacity 31 December 1999 [*]
      Sworn in 7 May 2000 [*]
      Re-elected 14 March 2004 [*]
      Sworn in 7 May 2004 [*]
      Succeeded 7 May 2008 by Dmitriy Medvedev
      Prime Minister of Russia (05-2008 to present)
      Endorsed by Duma 8 May 2008 [*]

      All the lines marked with [*] would have a reference to the source and date which
      produced that news item. (Maybe would be another newsItem in future).

      What would be the best way to construct this? I can't work out how to store this all in a
      conceptItem. A knowledgeItem might work but I can't understand how to get the various
      bits of info related correctly. Having 24 separate conceptItems for this information, all
      wrapped up in packageItems, seems like it would be a nightmare to manage (especially
      since we have thousands of these biographies, and Putin's biography above is very heavily
      truncated).

      I've also looked at EventsML to see if that would be a sensible format for the Career or
      Timeline sections, but that seems to be designed for conferences and the like.

      > > Are the time validity attributes for links relevant here? eg could
      > > represent "Putin was president 2000-2008".
      >
      > Yes, this is exactly what they have been made for.

      Does this also cover things like "Putin has been prime minister since 2008"?

      Thanks

      -- Neil
    • Laurent LE MEUR
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 30, 2008
        I would represent in a NML2 <concept> structure the core information about the person (names, definition = summary) and create extended properties (in another namespace) for the timeline and career at the bottom of this concept structure.

        Note that these two complex properties could be added to NML2 if agreed as useful for everybody.

        Laurent

> [...]

        conceptItem. A knowledgeItem might work but I can't understand how to get the various
        bits of info related correctly. Having 24 separate conceptItems for this information, all
        wrapped up in packageItems, seems like it would be a nightmare to manage (especially
        since we have thousands of these biographies, and Putin's biography above is very heavily
        truncated).

        I've also looked at EventsML to see if that would be a sensible format for the Career or
        Timeline sections, but that seems to be designed for conferences and the like.

        > > Are the time validity attributes for links relevant here? eg could
        > > represent "Putin was president 2000-2008".
        >
        > Yes, this is exactly what they have been made for.

        Does this also cover things like "Putin has been prime minister since 2008"?

        ------------------------------------

        Any member of this IPTC moderated Yahoo group must comply with the Intellectual Property Policy of the IPTC, available at http://www.iptc.org/goto/ipp. Any posting is assumed to be submitted under the conditions of this IPTC IP Policy.
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        This e-mail, and any file transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.

        For more information on Agence France-Presse, please visit our web site at http://www.afp.com
      • Paul Harman
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 30, 2008
          From: newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com] On
          Behalf Of Laurent LE MEUR
          > I would represent in a NML2 <concept> structure the core
          > information about the person (names, definition = summary)
          > and create extended properties (in another namespace) for
          > the timeline and career at the bottom of this concept
          > structure.
          >
          > Note that these two complex properties could be added to NML2
          > if agreed as useful for everybody.

          I'd like to register PA's interest in G2 standardising an encoding for
          people - and organisations - having a biographical time-line.

          A formal mechanism akin to one's employment history on LinkedIn, for
          example.

          Paul

          This e-mail is from the PA Group. For more information, see www.thepagroup.com.
          This e-mail may contain confidential information.
          Only the addressee is permitted to read, copy, distribute or otherwise use this email or any attachments.
          If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately.
          Any opinion expressed in this e-mail is personal to the sender and may not reflect the opinion of the PA Group.
          Any e-mail reply to this address may be subject to interception or monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.