RE: [newsml-g2] NewsML-G2 relevant NewsCodes/Genre

  • Laurent LE MEUR
    Message 1 of 11 , May 18 1:09 PM

      Hi Jon,

      Interesting information. Hope Martin Moore will not reinvent the wheel ;-)

      I think that Dublin Core (with specific guidelines) plus NewsML-G2 properties (e.g. nar:provider, nar:service, nar:pubStatus, nar:urgency, nar:infoSource, nar:signal, nar:genre) make a perfect set of news oriented metadata.  An RDF variant of NewsML-G2 metadata would be easy to standardize if needed. And indeed, NewsCodes (in their URI form for an RDF implementation)  are a good way to control the values of these properties.

      I have sent Martin a note on his blog. Is their somebody who knows him?

      Best rgds

      Laurent Le Meur

      AFP

      Message 2 of 11 , May 18 3:04 PM
        I've investigated the statement "Berners-Lee, Moore and the Web Science Research Initiative are working with the BBC and Reuters on how to best integrate the tagging into journalists' normal workflow." (see the item from the XML Daily Newslink, Wednesday, 14 May 2008).  It turns out that some preliminary discussions took place in late 2007 with Reuters, but I haven't been able to track down any follow-up.

        Misha

        Message 3 of 11 , May 18 3:11 PM
          Misha,

          Thanks.

          I also see that OpenCalais, which received a lot of link-love in Feb, has
          little to say about NewsML/NewsCodes. The only reference is to a forum
          post, now deleted.

          http://www.google.com/search?q=NewsML+site:opencalais.com

          From Martin's blog response it looks like he is interested in coordinating
          in some fashion going forward.
          http://mediastandardstrust.blogspot.com/2008/05/weve-won-knight-foundation-news-award.html

          Jon

          On Sun, 18 May 2008, Misha Wolf wrote:

          > I've investigated the statement "Berners-Lee, Moore and the Web Science
          > Research Initiative are working with the BBC and Reuters on how to best
          > integrate the tagging into journalists' normal workflow." (see the item
          > from the XML Daily Newslink, Wednesday, 14 May 2008). It turns out that
          > some preliminary discussions took place in late 2007 with Reuters, but I
          > haven't been able to track down any follow-up.
          >
          > Misha

          > It appears that the Knight Foundation has awarded a grant of $350,000 to
          > none other than Tim Berners-Lee and Martin Moore to develop-- get this--
          > a metadata system for news content.

        • Brendan Quinn
          Message 4 of 11 , May 19 2:53 AM
            I don't know about it either! We had him in for a chat a couple of months ago, but we didn't talk about any specific projects... I'm asking around right now :-)

            Brendan.

            http://www.bbc.co.uk