Re: [newsml-g2] NewsML-G2 relevant NewsCodes available

    Message 1 of 11 , May 9, 2008
      Sorry for the XML-Knowledge Item missing the names and definitions, this has been fixed and the updated version is available at

      http://www.iptc.org/std/topicset/KI-G2-Std-all_20080509.xml

      On 5 May 2008 at 16:01  Michael Steidl (IPTC) wrote:

      Group:

      As outlined in the specification document for NewsML-G2 a couple of controlled vocabularies are required to express the full functionality of some properties like e.g. the pubStatus.

      For that purpose the IPTC created 18 controlled vocabularies (aka schemes) which are available now for download:

      as a KnowledgeItem (XML marked-up) at:

      http://www.iptc.org/std/topicset/KI-G2-Std-all_20080505.xml

      as an Excel spreadsheet workbook at:

      http://www.iptc.org/std/topicset/KI-G2-Std-all_20080505.xls

      The Catalog file providing the mapping between scheme-URIs and schema-aliases is available at:

      http://www.iptc.org/std/catalog/catalog.IPTC-G2-Standards_2.xml

      Regards

      Sent by:
      Michael Steidl
      Managing Director of the IPTC <mdirector@...>
      "Information Technology for News"
      Visit us on the web at  http://www.iptc.org

      Sent by:
      Michael Steidl
      Managing Director of the IPTC <mdirector@...>
      "Information Technology for News"
      Visit us on the web at  http://www.iptc.org

    • Jon Garfunkel
      Message 2 of 11 , May 9, 2008
        Thanks--

        I took some time comparing the earlier NewsCodes Genre list with that from
        PRISM-- my aim was to assess the existing standards for the online
        publishing community at large.
        http://civilities.net/NewsGenres

        There's not a lot of overlap, sadly, so I suppose that might factor into
        the general reticence of many of the new aggregation services to use
        either.

        Jon

        Jon Garfunkel
        Boston, Mass.
        http://civilities.net/
      • Stuart Myles
        Message 3 of 11 , May 9, 2008
          Jon,

          Interesting work - thanks for making the comparison between NewsCodes and PRISM for genre.  As I said in my comment on your site, what do you suggest we do next to address this problem?

          One minor correction - NewsCodes are not *just* for NewsML.  They can be used with any IPTC standard format, including NITF etc.

          Regards,

          Stuart

          Message 4 of 11 , May 9, 2008
            Stuart,

            Thanks for the clarification on NewsCodes & NewsML.

            I've started contacting a number of the potentially interested parties. My
            sense is that this won't seen as a problem until any of the top consumers
            of this metadata (Google News, Yahoo, Topix). So for now I'm concentrating
            my lobbying efforts on the latter two.

            I will also contact IDEAlliance/PRISM -- once I update this to reflect the
            G2 standard.

            Jon

            On Fri, 9 May 2008, Stuart Myles wrote:

            > Jon,
            >
            > Interesting work - thanks for making the comparison between NewsCodes and
            > PRISM for genre. As I said in my comment on your site, what do you suggest
            > we do next to address this problem?
            >
            > One minor correction - NewsCodes are not *just* for NewsML. They can be
            > used with any IPTC standard format, including NITF etc.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Stuart
            >

            > On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Jon Garfunkel <jgarfunk@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            >> Thanks--
            >>
            >> I took some time comparing the earlier NewsCodes Genre list with that from
            >> PRISM-- my aim was to assess the existing standards for the online
            >> publishing community at large.
            >> http://civilities.net/NewsGenres
            >>
            >> There's not a lot of overlap, sadly, so I suppose that might factor into
            >> the general reticence of many of the new aggregation services to use
            >> either.
            >>
            >> Jon
            >>
            >> Jon Garfunkel
            >> Boston, Mass.
            >> http://civilities.net/

          • Jon Garfunkel
            Message 5 of 11 , May 15, 2008
              I thought I'd one more point to this thread (and cc: Diane Kennedy of IDEAlliance).

              It appears that the Knight Foundation has awarded a grant of $350,000 to none other than Tim Berners-Lee and Martin Moore to develop-- get this-- a metadata system for news content.

              "Information like, for example: that it is intended to be journalism, who it is written by, who it is written on behalf of, when it was first published, when it was last updated.... Once this has been highlighted it then becomes much much easier to enable people to search for it."

              I sent Martin a friendly note querying if he was familiar with PRISM & NewsCodes (I work across the street from Tim B-L but have not a dialogue with him recently...)

              Jon

              Jon Garfunkel
              Boston, Mass.

              Message 6 of 11 , May 18, 2008

                Hi Jon,

                Interesting information. Hope Martin Moore will not reinvent the wheel ;-)

                I think that Dublin Core (with specific guidelines) plus NewsML-G2 properties (e.g. nar:provider, nar:service, nar:pubStatus, nar:urgency, nar:infoSource, nar:signal, nar:genre) make a perfect set of news oriented metadata.  An RDF variant of NewsML-G2 metadata would be easy to standardize if needed. And indeed, NewsCodes (in their URI form for an RDF implementation)  are a good way to control the values of these properties.

                I have sent Martin a note on his blog. Is their somebody who knows him?

                Best rgds

                Laurent Le Meur

                AFP

                I took some time comparing the earlier NewsCodes Genre list with that from
                PRISM-- my aim was to assess the existing standards for the online
                publishing community at large.
                http://civilities.net/NewsGenres

                There's not a lot of overlap, sadly, so I suppose that might factor into
                the general reticence of many of the new aggregation services to use
                either.

                Jon

                Jon Garfunkel
                Boston, Mass.
                http://civilities.net/

                This e-mail, and any file transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.

                For more information on Agence France-Presse, please visit our web site at http://www.afp.com

                Message 7 of 11 , May 18, 2008
                  I've investigated the statement "Berners-Lee, Moore and the Web Science Research Initiative are working with the BBC and Reuters on how to best integrate the tagging into journalists' normal workflow." (see the item from the XML Daily Newslink, Wednesday, 14 May 2008).  It turns out that some preliminary discussions took place in late 2007 with Reuters, but I haven't been able to track down any follow-up.

                  Misha

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 18, 2008
                    Misha,

                    Thanks.

                    I also see that OpenCalais, which received a lot of link-love in Feb, has
                    little to say about NewsML/NewsCodes. The only reference is to a forum
                    post, now deleted.

                    http://www.google.com/search?q=NewsML+site:opencalais.com

                    From Martin's blog response it looks like he is interested in coordinating
                    in some fashion going forward.
                    http://mediastandardstrust.blogspot.com/2008/05/weve-won-knight-foundation-news-award.html

                    Jon

                    On Sun, 18 May 2008, Misha Wolf wrote:

                    > I've investigated the statement "Berners-Lee, Moore and the Web Science
                    > Research Initiative are working with the BBC and Reuters on how to best
                    > integrate the tagging into journalists' normal workflow." (see the item
                    > from the XML Daily Newslink, Wednesday, 14 May 2008). It turns out that
                    > some preliminary discussions took place in late 2007 with Reuters, but I
                    > haven't been able to track down any follow-up.
                    >
                    > Misha

                    > It appears that the Knight Foundation has awarded a grant of $350,000 to
                    > none other than Tim Berners-Lee and Martin Moore to develop-- get this--
                    > a metadata system for news content.

                  • Brendan Quinn
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 19, 2008
                      I don't know about it either! We had him in for a chat a couple of months ago, but we didn't talk about any specific projects... I'm asking around right now :-)

                      Brendan.

                      http://www.bbc.co.uk