MIME Type Question

  • Jan Algermissen
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2008
      Hi,

      reading through the NewsMLg2 spec ( the document "Core Conformance
      LevelNewsML-G2 Specification 2.0" ) I noticed the mime type definition
      in section 10.2.2.

      Can someone clarify their status regarding IANA registration? I did
      not find them on www.iana.org.

      Would the following HTTP POST request be a valid use of the type
      application/vnd.iptc.g2.newsitem+xml

      POST /myResource HTTP/1.1
      Host: www.example.org

      <?xml version="1.0"?>
      <newsml:newsItem xmlns:newsml="http://iptc.org/std/nar/2006-10-01/"
      standard="NewsML-G2" standardversion="2.0">
      <!-- item content here -->
      </newsml:newsItem>

      Thanks in advance,

      Jan
    • Laurent LE MEUR
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2008
        Hi Jan,

        I took the time to check the IPTC MIME types registration process.
        The IANA (long) registration process in ongoing but still not achieved.

        You can safely use the defined MIME types in an http post, as nobody else will suddenly register a vnd.iptc MIME type without the IPTC noticing ;-).

        Your "post" sample seems perfect to me.

        I'm sure many of us in this forum would be interested in the way you intend to use NewsML-G2. Can you introduce this use?

        Bst regards
        Laurent Le Meur
        AFP
        IPTC News Architecture chair.

        This e-mail, and any file transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.

        For more information on Agence France-Presse, please visit our web site at http://www.afp.com
      • Jan Algermissen
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2008
          Hi Laurent,

          On May 3, 2008, at 6:34 AM, Laurent LE MEUR wrote:
          > Hi Jan,
          >
          > I took the time to check the IPTC MIME types registration process.
          > The IANA (long) registration process in ongoing but still not
          > achieved.
          >
          > You can safely use the defined MIME types in an http post, as nobody
          > else will suddenly register a vnd.iptc MIME type without the IPTC
          > noticing ;-).

          Ok, thanks.

          > Your "post" sample seems perfect to me.

          Happy to hear that - I wasn't sure if newsItem was intended to be used
          without an envelope.
          (The sample's context is actually a media POST to an APP server, there
          could be an equivalent POST
          with the newsItem embedded in the Atom entry's content element)

          > I'm sure many of us in this forum would be interested in the way you
          > intend to use NewsML-G2. Can you introduce this use?

          I am building an interface between a video management system and a
          content management system. The scenario is that
          editors choose videos in the VMS and export them for use in the CMS.
          The export from VMS to CMS (inlcuding subsequent
          updates if things hange in the VMS) I see as a classic create-update-
          delete scenario and Atom/APP was a perfect fit.

          The information that needs to flow from VMS to CMS consists of meta
          data about the video a such and of a number of
          renditions of the video and rendition specific meta data (e.g.
          duration). Some of the renditions are images (thumb nails)
          etc.

          Things turned out *very* nicely - it was one of the very rare cases
          were it took only about one hour to replace the XML
          based RPC they had come up with (<mode>update</mode> and friends :-)
          so far by the use of Atom/APP and
          NewsMLg2 as the payload format.

          Interestingly, there are Video-feeds involved (partly filling the VMS)
          coming from Reuters and DPA. DPA sends stuff in NITF
          and Reuters - hmm - has this really home grown mini-XML format :-)

          Wouldn't it be nice to switch to NewsML there , too? :-)

          Jan

          P.S. What I have seen so far from NewsML g2 the WG did a really good
          job - feels very natural together with HTTP/APP

          A browsable spec would be nice though and there are also quite a few
          broken links from the PDF to iptc.org - but I guess the
          content is just not yet available, given the freshness of the spec.