now that NewsML-G2 is ON ...

  • Laurent LE MEUR
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15, 2008

      So, the NewsML-G2 specification and XML schemas are available at:

      http://www.iptc.org/G2-Standards/newsml-g2.php

      If you want to use only the newsItem object, you only have to download the “NewsML-G2 specification documents zip-package”, with or without the XML schema documentation. You will find both Core and Power conformance PDF documents plus the associated XML schemas.

      The XML schema documentation is a big HTML page with a large set of associated images, exported from XML Spy: it allows for an interactive browsing of the XML structures if you have no XML schema editor like XMLSpy, Oxygen or Stylus Studio.

      If you want to use also the packageItem, conceptItem and knowledgeItem objects, you have to download also the “IPTC News Architecture for G2 specification documents zip-package” , with or without the XML schema documentation. You will find a copy of the framework schemas inside, already present in the NewsML-G2 package. You can put all schema files (NewsML-G2 specific and NAR) in the same directory.

      Tell us if you would prefer a different packaging, e.g. a Core Conformance Level package and a Power Conformance Level package, with all objects present in it.

      Please tell us about your implementations. Currently we know about implementations from the development team (AFP, EBU, HINA, Reuters in alphabetical order) but we would like to know more about other implementations. Some of us will post to this list samples of NewsML-G2 instances, so you can make your mind about its use.

      Also, the discussion about evolution (NewsML-G2 2.1) has begun. We will communicate about what we intend to add, and we would like to hear about your requests.

      Best regards

      Laurent Le Meur

      AFP

      This e-mail, and any file transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.

      For more information on Agence France-Presse, please visit our web site at http://www.afp.com

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 15, 2008
        So, in summary, please share with the other 187 members of the list your:
        -    questions about NewsML-G2
        -    experiences of implementing NewsML-G2
        -    requests for changes you would like to see in the next version

        Thanks,
        Misha

[...]

        This email was sent to you by Reuters, the global news and information company.

        Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Limited.

        Reuters Limited is part of the Reuters Group of companies, of which Reuters Group PLC is the ultimate parent company. Reuters Group PLC - Registered office address: The Reuters Building, South Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London E14 5EP, United Kingdom
        Registered No: 3296375
        Registered in England and Wales

      • Paul Kelly
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 27, 2008
          At 1:39 PM +0000 3/15/08, Misha Wolf wrote:
          >- questions about NewsML-G2

          I have some questions about Sematic Web issues. NewsML-G2 has been designed with SemWeb compatibility in mind. Is there a guide somewhere that explains how it is compatible with relation to all the SemWeb formats, tools and acronyms? I'm thinking of GRDDL, OWL, SKOS, RDF, et al.

          If anyone's gone ahead with work in this area I would also be interested in hearing about it. Even if it's just vague plans I'd like to know what the level of interest is on this list with regard to SemWeb, public exposure of "interoperable" data and the implications for the news biz.
          --
          --paul

          Paul Kelly
          Dir. of Operations
          XML Team: http://xmlteam.com
        • Laurent LE MEUR
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 29, 2008
            AFP is currently doing such a development.

            They are 2 aspects in your question:
            1) the standardization of a formal ontology using OWL, the RDF/XML representation of NewsML-G2 documents
            2) the transformation software (NewsML-G2 -> RDF/XML)

            Re 1) this is something we will work on as part of a R&D project. I would expect that the IPTC "standardizes" this ontology model, via the NAR WP.
            Re 2) I have already been working on it. That's cool for importing NewsML-G2 docs inside "semantic" tools.

            Best regards
            Laurent Le Meur
            AFP

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 29, 2008
              Hi Paul,

              First of all, the Semantic Web is (of course) based on triples, eg:

              *Oil* is a *Subject* of *Story 1234567*

              In most cases, the items in the triples need to be URIs.

              The G2-Family of IPTC Standards supports this by assigning URIs to
              each metadata container (eg Subject) and by requiring that each
              News Item has a guid which takes the form of a URI.

              The G2-Family of Standards also encourages the use of QCodes
              to represent values (such as *Oil*). Each QCode represents
              a URI.

              Thus we have the three URIs for (eg):

              *Oil* is a *Subject* of *Story 1234567*

              To convert these to RDF, we use GRDDL. This mechanism requires
              that an XSLT stylesheet be associated with the News Item, either
              via an attribute on the root element or via an association with
              the namespace of the G2 Standard.

              The above will allow the extraction of straight-forward triples.

              Reuters provided a GRDDL transform about 2 years ago. This is now
              out-of-date and someone needs to write a new one or update the old
              one.

              There are more difficult triples to be harvested, representing
              statements about statements, eg:
              - who asserted it
              - when did they assert it
              - with what confidence did they assert it

              The right way to construct triples representing these is under
              discussion in the Semantic Web community.