Validation of the provided NewsML-G2 examples

  • robbie.desutter
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
      Dear members of the NewsML-G2 interest group,

      In order to understand NewsML-G2 more thoroughly I've been studying
      the examples available on the yahoo group discussion forum (in the
      section files, contributed-examples). However, I did found some minor
      problems with these files as some cannot be validated against the
      latest draft version of NewsML-G2 (DRAFT-NewsML-G2_1.0-
      spec-NewsItem-Power_3.xsd).

      In particular I've found some problems with the following files:
      1. The file "EBU template NewsML-2 r3.xml" (section interoperability
      tests):
      - Lines 37, 67, 89:
      contains invalid attributes "validfrom", "validto", and "idrefts"
      in the element "rightsInfo".
      - Lines 50, 73, 95:
      contains invalid element "affiliation" as part of the
      element "personDetails".
      - Line 237:
      contains invalid attribute "chnllang" in the element "channel".

      2. The file "Example-SmallArticle-NITFcontent.xml" (section tutorial):
      - Line 43:
      contains invalid attribute "words" in the element inlineXML.
      I guess this should be "wordcount" instead.

      All other files in the folders tutorial and interoperability tests
      appear to be XML valid.

      Can someone confirm these are (known?) issues. With regards to the
      first file (EBU template), does someone have a suggestion how to
      correct the XML file so it can be validated to NewsML-G2 draft
      version 3 schema?

      Finally, with regards to the files in the folder Reuters Samples: I
      cannot confirm the validity of these files as I cannot find the XML
      Schema's used by Reuters. In particular, the XML namespace "rtr"
      points to "http://www.reuters.com/ns/2003/08/content", however there
      is no associated schema location.

      Can someone provide the XML Schema for this namespace or point me to
      the location thereof?

      Thanks in advance for any feedback.

      Kind regards,
      Robbie De Sutter
      .A: VRT-medialab
      Zuiderpoort
      Gaston Crommenlaan 10 (bus 101)
      B-9050 Gent - Ledeberg
      .T: +32 (0) 9 331 48 49
      .M: +32 (0) 495 940 488
      .F: +32 (0) 9 331 48 40
      .E: robbie.desutter@...
      .W: medialab.vrt.be
      .W: www.vrt.be
    • Dave Compton
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi Robbie

        >Finally, with
        regards to the files in the folder Reuters Samples: I
        cannot confirm the validity of these files as I cannot find the XML
        Schema's used by Reuters. In particular, the XML namespace "rtr"
        points to "http://www.reuters. com/ns/2003/ 08/content", however there
        is no associated schema location.

        1. The Reuters documents are very early samples based on an old XSD; the XSD has subsequently evolved. The IPTC Autumn meetings will shortly be held in Prague (w/c 15 Oct); a number of XSD updates will be approved. The Reuters samples will be brought up to date after the IPTC meetings.
        2. http://www.reuters. com/ns/2003/ 08/content: You are correct; the schema location has yet to be enabled by Reuters. I will advise this list when it has been done. For now, it should be possible to suppress validation of the rtr namespace markup via your chosen XML validator.

        Regards

        DAVE COMPTON
        Senior Technologist, NewsML Technical Owner
        Reuters Media

        The Reuters Building, South Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London E14 5EP  United Kingdom

        Reuters Messaging: dave.compton.reuters.com@...

        (t) +44 (0) 20 7542 8341 | (m) +44 (0) 7990 56 8341 | (f) +44 (0) 20 7519 1233
        http://mediadev.uki.ime.reuters.com/default.htm
        http://mediadev.uki.ime.reuters.com/users/djc/ref/

        Get the latest news at Reuters.com

[...]

        .A: VRT-medialab
        Zuiderpoort
        Gaston Crommenlaan 10 (bus 101)
        B-9050 Gent - Ledeberg
        .T: +32 (0) 9 331 48 49
        .M: +32 (0) 495 940 488
        .F: +32 (0) 9 331 48 40
        .E: robbie.desutter@ vrt.be
        .W: medialab.vrt. be
        .W: www.vrt.be

        This email was sent to you by Reuters, the global news and information company.

        Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Limited.

        Reuters Limited is part of the Reuters Group of companies, of which Reuters Group PLC is the ultimate parent company. Reuters Group PLC - Registered office address: The Reuters Building, South Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London E14 5EP, United Kingdom
        Registered No: 3296375
        Registered in England and Wales

      • Evain, Jean-Pierre
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
          Message
          Robbie,

          I'll come back to you soon about EBU's file.

          Regards,

          Jean-pierre
[...]

          .A: VRT-medialab
          Zuiderpoort
          Gaston Crommenlaan 10 (bus 101)
          B-9050 Gent - Ledeberg
          .T: +32 (0) 9 331 48 49
          .M: +32 (0) 495 940 488
          .F: +32 (0) 9 331 48 40
          .E: robbie.desutter@ vrt.be
          .W: medialab.vrt. be
          .W: www.vrt.be

          ************************************************** This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager. This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by the mailgateway **************************************************

        • Laurent LE MEUR
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
            > 2. The file "Example-SmallArticle-NITFcontent.xml" (section tutorial):
            > - Line 43:
            > contains invalid attribute "words" in the element inlineXML.
            > I guess this should be "wordcount" instead.

            [llm : ] true error in the sample. I will correct it asap.

            L.Le Meur
            AFP

            This e-mail, and any file transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.

            For more information on Agence France-Presse, please visit our web site at http://www.afp.com
          • jpevain_ebu
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2007
              Robbie,

              I had to do some cross-checking before giving you a sound answer
              (all this goes back to early July for me with a lot of water under
              the bridge since then).

              Actually, most of the errors you spotted come from the fact that my
              instance implements some changes agreed but not implemented yet.

              I expect these changes to be in the next version of the
              specification after the meeting in Prague next week. After this, it
              should validate although I might have to do some adjustment to stick
              to the actual implementation in the spec.

              Best regards,

              Jean-Pierre

              --- In newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com, "Evain, Jean-Pierre" <evain@...>
              wrote:

              > Robbie,
              >
              > I'll come back to you soon about EBU's file.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Jean-pierre

            • DE SUTTER Robbie
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 2, 2007

                Jean-Pierre, Dave, Laurent,

                Thank you for the feedback and information.

                I hope you all have a good and productive meeting next week in Prague and I am looking forward to the results.

                Kind regards,

                Robbie De Sutter

                wrote:

                > Robbie,
                >
                > I'll come back to you soon about EBU's file.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Jean-pierre

                *** Disclaimer ***

                Vlaamse Radio- en Televisieomroep