RE: commentless title

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2007
      Hi John,

      Many thanks for your note. As it happens, I did take a look
      at the new Dublin Core RFC and did notice the improvement to
      DC Title :-)

      This change will make it much easier for the IPTC's family of
      G2 standards (such as NewsML-G2) to relate DC Title to our own
      metadata properties.

      Thanks and best wishes,

      Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:33:46 -0700 (PDT)
      From: John A. Kunze <jak@...>
      To: <dc-general@...>, <dc-standards@...>
      Subject: revised Dublin Core published as RFC 5013

      I'm pleased to forward this announcement of yesterday's publication of
      the
      revised Internet RFC for Dublin Core: RFC 5013, which obsoletes RFC
      2413.

      RFC 5013 contains the same element definitions as the recently revised
      NISO standard, Z39.85-2007, but is freely accessible in one click via a
      global set of mirrored repositories used by the highly technical
      audiences
      that support and define Internet infrastructure. Already the old RFC
      was
      cited by at least five other Internet RFCs.

      -John

      ---------
      A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

      RFC 5013

      Title: The Dublin Core Metadata Element
      Set
      Author: J. Kunze, T. Baker
      Date: August 2007
      Mailbox: jak at ucop.edu,
      tbaker at tbaker.de
      Pages: 9
      Characters: 17776
      Obsoletes: RFC2413
      See-Also:

      I-D Tag: draft-kunze-rfc2413bis-07.txt

      This document defines fifteen metadata elements for resource
      description in a cross-disciplinary information environment.
      This memo provides information for the Internet community.
      ---------

      This email was sent to you by Reuters, the global news and information company.

      except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Limited.

      Reuters Limited is part of the Reuters Group of companies, of which Reuters Group PLC is the ultimate parent company.
      Reuters Group PLC - Registered office address: The Reuters Building, South Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London E14 5EP, United Kingdom
      Registered No: 3296375
      Registered in England and Wales
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2007

        sorry, but I can't join the hurras about the new Dublin Core RFC 5013:

        The old RFC 2413 defined title by "The name given to the resource, usually
        by the Creator or Publisher."

        The new RFC 5013 defines title by "The name given to the resource."

        Actually the core semantics of the title were left untouched, only how
        they are created is left open now. And both RFCs have *no comment* on the
        title element, so the "commentless title" is not new to RFC 5013

        While on the Dublic Core Metadata Initative's web page with the
        definitions of the Metadata Terms
        (http://www.dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/) is still this highly
        confusing comment on "title":

        "Typically, a Title will be a name by which the resource is formally
        known."

        Actually it was this comment which caused the IPTC working party for the
        G2-Standards - and now also the IPTC Photo Metadata group - to scratch
        their heads about what **exactly** is meant for title - and this ambiguity
        from the comment is not solved by the new RFC.

        Btw it is interesting to see there is not any notice on the Dublic Core
        website about the relase of the RFC5013. They even had a "public comments"
        phase for changes to the definitions of the Metadata Terms closing on 6
        August - apparently they wanted to discuss changes at the Dublic Core
        conference in late August, that is after the release of the RFC. Could it
        be the case that Dublin Core specified by an RFC and by the DC Initiative
        live in parallel worlds?

        Michael

        Sent by:
        Michael Steidl