FW: QCodes [was: RE: CURIEs: A proposal]

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4 6:31 AM
      fyi

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Misha Wolf
      Sent: 04 July 2006 14:30
      To: www-tag@...; public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@...; semantic-web@...
      Subject: QCodes [was: RE: CURIEs: A proposal]

      On the basis of the survey of current and proposed uses of {prefix,
      suffix} tuples [1] and the discussion with the TAG on June 27 [2],
      I've concluded that CURIEs are not a good match for the IPTC's
      requirements, as a CURIE is both named ("Compact URI") and designed
      (by the RDF-in-XHTML task force) to provide a compact representation
      of an IRI, while the IPTC requires a compact representation of a
      {schemeAlias, code} tuple, which can be transformed to a schemeIRI
      (through the declaration of a schemeAlias/schemeIRI association) and
      a codeIRI (through the use of a rule for constructing this IRI from a
      schemeIRI and a code). My current thinking is that we should define
      a QCode (Qualified Code), where:

      QCode ::= SchemeAlias ':' Code
      SchemeAlias ::= NCNameChar+
      Code ::= NCNameChar+

      The schemeAlias/schemeIRI association is (in our case) declared using
      the NewsML 2 <scheme> element:
      <scheme alias="foo" uri="http://..." />

      We're still discussing which construction rule to recommend for the
      building of a codeIRI from a schemeIRI and a code, as well as the
      closely related question of how to terminate schemeIRIs [1].

      [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2006Jun/0112.html
      [2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2006/06/27-minutes.html

      Misha
      ------------------- NewsML 2 resources ------------------------------
      http://www.iptc.org | http://www.iptc.org/std-dev/NAR/1.0

      Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Ltd.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6 1:54 AM
        Dear RDF-in-XHTML task force,

        In the light of the clarification below, please would you be kind
        enough to tweak any statements in the forthcoming CURIE spec which
        relate to the IPTC's requirements. In particular, the paragraph
        starting with:

        This is not a valid QName simply because '10112244' is not a
        valid element name. Yet the whole reason for using a QName in
        the first place was to abbreviate the URI, and not to create a
        namespace qualified element name.

        is now seen to be incorrect. The IPTC requires a qualified code
        in the form of a {scheme, code} tuple, rather than (just) an
        abbreviated URI.

        Many thanks,