Re: [newsml-2] RE: Clashing scheme declaration

  • John Cowan
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 3, 2006
      Misha Wolf scripsit:

      > And so, there is an advantage in the aggregator passing on the
      > external catalogs referenced in the aggregated content, with one or
      > two "annotations" needed in order to resolve alias clashes. The
      > recipients are likely to have these catalogs cached and all they
      > have to do is locally apply the "annotations", before fully
      > processing the package item.

      Except that these annotations have to be applied in a non-persistent
      way, since there is no URI that refers to a catalog-as-annotated-by-X.
      Consequently, since consumers often get lots of items from the same
      aggregator, they wind up applying the annotations over and over.

      We could resolve this by allowing a catalog element to contain an
      @extends attribute which says "This catalog extends the named
      catalog with changes". But on the whole, since catalogs are immutable,
      I think it's just as easy for the aggregator to publish "his own
      version" of an upstream catalog with his patches installed, and then
      always refer to this version when retrieving metadata items described
      in the upstream catalog.

      That continues to keep things simple and stable for the consumer, who
      at most has to retrieve a few extra catalogs for aggregated items.
      If this standard isn't simple for consumers, it won't get traction.

      --
      What asininity could I have uttered John Cowan <cowan@...>
      that they applaud me thus? http://www.ap.org
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 3, 2006
        > ... , since catalogs are immutable,
        > I think it's just as easy for the aggregator to publish "his own
        > version" of an upstream catalog with his patches installed, and then
        > always refer to this version when retrieving metadata items described
        > in the upstream catalog.

        +1

        > That continues to keep things simple and stable for the consumer, who
        > at most has to retrieve a few extra catalogs for aggregated items.
        > If this standard isn't simple for consumers, it won't get traction.

        +1000

        Laurent

        This e-mail, and any file transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.

        For more information on Agence France-Presse, please visit our web site at http://www.afp.com

      • Laurent Le Meur
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 3, 2006
          > Darko Gulija
          > Does it mean that the following assertions are true:
          > 1. When creating a Package Item from the items from various sources, an
          > aggregator MUST NOT use clashing aliases at all, but map them to the aliases
          > from its own catalog

          Yes. The prerequisite is that he has "programmed" incoming scheme declarations
          which are of interest for him.

          (so, aliases would still clash when recipient parses
          > all the catalogs, but they would not be used in hints to denote any
          > metadata; thus, the collision would be avoided).

          No, because the items provided by different providers are independent. There is
          NO clashing aliases in the news items. There is NO clasing aliases in the
          package item neither because the package uses the aggregator's catalog.

          > 2. It is not an error it the clashing alias exists only in catalogs, but is
          > not used in any metadata value. Such aliases SHOULD be ignored.
          > 3. When receiving the item that contains clashing scheme aliases, an
          > recipient MUST NOT use the metadata with aliases that clash. It MAY signal
          > warning or silently ignore them ("MUST NOT" because it is impossible to tell
          > which of the two is wrong, so the real meaning/value of the metadata is not
          > known).

          This is of no use in the context I describe.

          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 3, 2006
            Laurent wrote:

            > +1000

            Is this a case of "vote early, vote often"?

            Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Ltd.
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 6, 2006
              Whether we nest the alias replacement instruction within a <catalog>
              element or within a <catalogRef> element, AND whether it contains
              just two aliases or two aliases and a URI, we should not use the
              <scheme> element for this purpose, but rather a different element,
              called, say, <replace>. The advantages include:

              - the element can be made part of the power profile,

              - restrictions can be imposed via XML Scheme on where the element
              may appear.

              There are two possible syntaxes:

              <replace alias="..." with "..."/>

              <replace uri="..." alias="..." with "..."/>

              This makes me wonder whether we should write:

              <scheme uri="..." alias="..."/>
              <!--
              I am using scheme "..." and am locally representing it using the
              alias "..."
              -->

              rather than (at present):

              <scheme alias="..." uri="..."/>
              <!--
              When you see the alias "...", interpret it as the scheme "..."/>
              -->

              Note also that we may, later, wish to add a @type, eg:

              <scheme uri="..." type="..." alias="..."/>
              <!--
              I am using scheme "..." for "..." and am locally representing it
              by "..."
              -->

              For example:

              <scheme
              uri="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO4217#Currency_Numeric_Codes"
              type="type:cur"
              alias="iso4217"/>
              <!--
              I am using scheme
              "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO4217#Currency_Numeric_Codes"
              for currencies and am locally representing it by "iso4217"
              -->

              Misha

              NewsML 2 resources:
              http://www.iptc.org/ | http://www.iptc.org/NAR/

              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 6, 2006
                Hope you are joking. A CURIE in what helps defining CURIEs... a catalog with a
                catalogRef at the top. Never.
                Laurent

                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 6, 2006
                  Michael wrote:

                  > - for package items the provider must provide either one (or a
                  > smal set of) pre-reconciled external catalog(s) - presumably
                  > maintained by him - OR only reconciled and on-the-fly created
                  > inline catalogs.
                  >
                  > This should work.

                  I think that we should take this approach for now. If it proves
                  inadequate for an important set of cases, we can always add the kind
                  of feature we've been discussing.