Where to store custom and dynamic properties in News Item?

  • kopai_bate
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8 8:45 AM
      I'm developing a news system where the users may record arbitrary
      properties on the news items at any time. Each property has name, type
      and a value.
      The system is highly configurable and these properties may later be used
      by some plugin of the system or other software as long as it knows about
      the property, which is done through configuration.

      I couldn't find an appropriate place within the NewsML's schema to place
      those properties, QCCodes don't work because are too 'static'. I need to
      be able to ship the software and let the users define new properties and
      reconfigure the system.

      What I ended up doing is extending the NewsML schema with a new element

      Any better ideas? I'm really not an exprert in NewsML and am probably
      missing something.

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12 8:03 AM
        Hi
        The NewsML-G2 XML Schema includes
        (http://www.iptc.org/std/NewsML-G2/2.12/specification/NewsML-G2_2.12-spec-Al
        l-Power.xsd) multiple Extension Points which are defined as
        <xs:any namespace="##other" processContents="lax" minOccurs="0"
        maxOccurs="unbounded">
        <xs:annotation>
        <xs:documentation>Extension point for provider-defined
        properties from other namespaces</xs:documentation>
        </xs:annotation>
        </xs:any>

        Which means:
        - their purpose is to hold additional provider specific properties
        - the names of these additional properties must be from another namespace =
        not the nar: namespace

        Typically these Extension Points are placed as last child of elements which
        act as wrapper of properties, e.g. rightsInfo, itemMeta, contentMeta,
        partMeta.

        Managing Director of the IPTC [mdirector@...]
        Web: www.iptc.org - on Twitter @IPTC
        Business office address:
        25 Southampton Buildings, London WC2A 1AL, United Kingdom
        Registered in England, company no 101096

      • kopai_bate
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 13 8:07 AM
          Thank you Michael, I'm getting closer to validation now !