From millimeters to dimensionunit

  • Philippe Mougin
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 26, 2012
      Hi group,

      I have a legacy system with images and infographic. I have their width/height in associated metadata. Those properties are expressed in millimeters.
      Do you have an idea of how I should translate these informations into G2 using one of the mandatory G2-dimension units (http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/dimensionunit).

      The choice seems to be "pixel" or "point" here. Point is a physical dimension unit, like millimeters, but there are no standard point size it seems. Should I choose a point size and inform users of my G2 document about it ?
      Do you have, by chances, advices/best practices for what I'm trying to do ?

      Best,

      Philippe Mougin
    • Kelvin Holland

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 26, 2012
          Hi Philippe

          For digital media we have an absolute size of a Point - see
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_%28typography%29
          That was the assumption when defining this dimension unit.

          Hope this helps,

        • Philippe Mougin
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 26, 2012
            Thanks Kelvin.

            It turns out that most of my media files are vector infographics (produced with adobe illustrator).
            Does using "pixel" (maybe adorned with some dpi value in the "resolution" attribute) makes sense for this kind of data? Or should I go to "point" instead?

            Best,

            Philippe

            --- In newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com, Kelvin Holland <kholland@...> wrote:

            > Hi Phillipe,
            >
            > If I had a choice, then a better cross-platform measure is pixels,
            > because it is absolute and independent of pixel-density. (I work in
            > mobile apps so this is a big consideration) But of course this depends
            > if you have the pixel density of your images available to make the
            > conversion.
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Kelvin
            >
            > On 26/10/2012 11:43, Philippe Mougin wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi group,
            > >
            > > I have a legacy system with images and infographic. I have their
            > > width/height in associated metadata. Those properties are expressed in
            > > millimeters.
            > > Do you have an idea of how I should translate these informations into
            > > G2 using one of the mandatory G2-dimension units
            > > (http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/dimensionunit).
            > >
            > > The choice seems to be "pixel" or "point" here. Point is a physical
            > > dimension unit, like millimeters, but there are no standard point size
            > > it seems. Should I choose a point size and inform users of my G2
            > > document about it ?
            > > Do you have, by chances, advices/best practices for what I'm trying to
            > > do ?
            > >
            > > Best,
            > >
            > > Philippe Mougin

          • Philippe Mougin
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 26, 2012
              Thanks Michael.

              I see that the physical size of a Point isn't standardized. The G2 spec itself states that "Its absolute size is different for the various systems like French and American Points".

              Is there some commonly point system used in our new industry (maybe the "DTP point system"?), or one you would advise me to use ?

              Best,
              Philippe

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 26, 2012
                Hi Philippe

                Basic question: do vector graphics have something like a size at all?
                Actually not as you can create a rendition of any size from it.

              • Philippe Mougin
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 26, 2012
                  Yes, I see that.
                  However my legacy vector infographic files are annotated with dimensions that can be used as an advice when displaying the content (e.g., this vector graphic wont look so great under 100 millimeter width (maybe because it is full of super complex information)).

                  Should I use the width and height attributes of <remoteContent> to express this? Using points as units? And if so I back to my previous question: which point system?

                  Philippe

                  PS: btw, it looks like the NewsML-G2 spec accounts for the fact that width/height can make sense for vector graphic, as it take care to define a default dimension unit (i.e., point) for them.