NewsML-2 Comprehensive Samples

  • Fakih Karademir
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2012
      I want to ask a question about the overall structure of the NewsML-G2 format. Can someone show me reference files which
      indicate all possible NewsML-G2 tags/fields  in action in a single document? I want to see the whole hierarchy between the elements.
      I've found this URL which could help me : http://about.reuters.com/ids/ newsml/textversions/newsML04_ tree.gif Is this enough?

      Thank you,
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2012

        Hi Fakir

        -          The NewsML-G2 standard includes 5 slightly different structures, called Items, and each has a full documentation on the web:

        o   For journalistic content: the News Item - http://www.iptc.org/std/NewsML-G2/2.9/specification/XML-Schema-Doc-Power/NewsItem.html

        o   For concepts and events: the Concept Item - http://www.iptc.org/std/NewsML-G2/2.9/specification/XML-Schema-Doc-Power/ConceptItem.html

        o   For sets of concepts and events: the Knowledge Item - http://www.iptc.org/std/NewsML-G2/2.9/specification/XML-Schema-Doc-Power/KnowledgeItem.html

        o   For planning news coverage: the Planning Item - http://www.iptc.org/std/NewsML-G2/2.9/specification/XML-Schema-Doc-Power/PlanningItem.html

        o   For managed packages of any item above: the Package Item - http://www.iptc.org/std/NewsML-G2/2.9/specification/XML-Schema-Doc-Power/PackageItem.html

        -          And it provides a transportation wrapper for one to many items: the News Message - http://www.iptc.org/std/NewsML-G2/2.9/specification/XML-Schema-Doc-Power/NewsMessage.html

        All NewsML-G2 XML structures are controlled by XML Schemas, the documentation above reflects the corresponding XML Schema.

        All XML Schemas can be found in this web folder: http://www.iptc.org/std/NewsML-G2/2.9/specification/

        A comprehensive guideline to implementing NewsML-G2 and EventsML-G2 is this document:

        http://www.iptc.org/std/NewsML-G2/2.9/documentation/IPTC-G2-Implementation_Guide_4.pdf

        I hope this gives you a good start with investigating the features for NewsML-G2.

        Btw: the about.reuters.com link below points at a NewsML-1.x structure which is the predecessor of NewsML-G2 and is definitely different from NewsML-G2.

        Managing Director of the IPTC [mdirector@...]

        Web:
        www.iptc.org - on Twitter @IPTC

        Business office address:

        20 Garrick Street, London WC2E 9BT, United Kingdom

        Registered in England, company no 101096