How to Convey That an Item is Part of a Sequence?

  • Stuart Myles
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2012
      Hello,

      We publish audio cuts throughout the day. We have two types of audio cut. One that is a regularly-occurring fixture (which we can represent as instanceOf). The other that is a member of a sequence of cuts (100, 101, 102 ... 286..).

      At first, I thought we could represent the sequence using memberOf, e.g.

      <memberOf qcode="apaudiocutnumber:201" />

      But I realize, now, that isn't quite right, since I want to convey the sequence number of the cut (they are not all part of cutnumber 201 - this is cut number 201 in the sequence).

      Suggestions for the right way to do this?

      Regards,

      Stuart

    • dave.compton@thomsonreuters.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2012

        Hi

        Presumably there is also an associated sequence number? If so, how about:

        Identify the sequence:

        <memberOf qcode="apaudioseqnumber:123" />

        Note the cut:

        <altId type="apIdType:apaudiocutnumber">201</altId>

        This doe not quite match the altId definition (An alternative identifier assigned to the content.), so maybe:

        <altId type="apIdType:apaudiocutnumber">123:201</altId>

        Rgds

        DC

        We publish audio cuts throughout the day. We have two types of audio cut. One that is a regularly-occurring fixture (which we can represent as instanceOf). The other that is a member of a sequence of cuts (100, 101, 102 ... 286..).

        At first, I thought we could represent the sequence using memberOf, e.g.

        <memberOf qcode="apaudiocutnumber:201" />

        But I realize, now, that isn't quite right, since I want to convey the sequence number of the cut (they are not all part of cutnumber 201 - this is cut number 201 in the sequence).

        Suggestions for the right way to do this?

        Regards,

        Stuart

        This email was sent to you by Thomson Reuters, the global news and information company. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Thomson Reuters.
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2012

          Stuart and all

          I feel this issue belongs to the group of what was called publishing metadata, it was discussed before the first G2 release (in 2008) but as there was not sufficient time for coming to conclusions it was put aside.

          Maybe we should bring it back to a discussion. The group should include properties which are required to record anything which is relevant to publishing or having published the content:

          -          For future publishing: time frames, targeted publishing products, …

          -          For recording a publishing: publishing date, publishing products, volume/issue/sequence numbers, publishing policy
          (I think this could be of high interest to BBC Monitoring, isn’t it?)

          Michael