RE: [newsml-g2] Identify an event

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 26, 2012

      Hi Jean

      Let’s assume this:

      -          The main event is identified by http://data.lepoint/event/bomse1 and its qcode is „lpevent:bomse1“

      -          The narrower event is identifier by http://data.lepoint/event/bomse2  and its qcode is „lpevent:bomse2“

      My question and notes regarding your example below are:

      -          First: a qcode attribute must not have a URI as value, it must be a QCode, see above.

      -          How to you want to apply the main event to the News Item.
      I guess it should be a subject = the news item is a journalistic report regarding the event.
      In this case use a subject property this way:

      <newsItem …>

                      ……………………..

                      <subject qcode=”lpevent:bomse1”>

                                     <narrower qcode=”lpevent:bomse2” />

      </subject>

      …………………..

      </newsItem>

      That’s it.

      Managing Director of the IPTC [mdirector@...]

      Web:
      www.iptc.org - on Twitter @IPTC

      Business office address:

      20 Garrick Street, London WC2E 9BT, United Kingdom

      Registered in England, company no 101096

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 26, 2012
        Dear all,

        I think Jean is looking for more expressive way to model semantic
        relationships between events, something which is not really possible
        within NewsML-G2, which is better handled by EventsML-G2 or other event
        models available in the Semantic Web community.
        My 2c.

        Raphaël

        --
        Raphaël Troncy
        2229, route des Crêtes, 06560 Sophia Antipolis, France.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 26, 2012
          Dear Raphael
          You can apply all relationship expressions (sameAs, broader, narrower,
          related) to a NewsML-G2 <subject> as you can apply them to a G2 concept -
          and events are concepts by the design of EventsML-G2.

          Let's see what Jean says about his requirements.

        • Raphaël Troncy
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 26, 2012
            > You can apply all relationship expressions (sameAs, broader, narrower,
            > related) to a NewsML-G2 <subject> as you can apply them to a G2 concept -
            > and events are concepts by the design of EventsML-G2.

            Yes, but I thought that Jean was looking for me specific relationship
            between events, such as "subEvent" (which is a bit more specific than
            narrower/broader), or causality, etc. I thought that EventsML-G2 has
            such constructs, is this correct?

            But as you said, let's see what were exactly the requirements :-)

            Raphaël

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 26, 2012

              EventsML-G2 makes use of the generic G2-Standards features:
              - an event is expressed as a concept. A G2 concept requires to have an URI
              as identifier (= RDF URIref)
              - a concept may have relationships to other concepts
              - a few widely used relationships have specific properties: sameAs, broader,
              narrower. They all point to another concept by a URIref.
              - the generic property <related> has a @rel attribute by which a specific
              relationship can be expressed. The value for the @rel has to be taken from a
              vocabulary which can be created by an event manager. So if Jean needs
              something else but sameAs, broader or narrower a @rel has to be defined and
              <related> to be used.

              Michael

              > But as you said, let's see what were exactly the requirements :-)
              >
              > Raphaël
              >
              > --
              > Raphaël Troncy
              > EURECOM, Multimedia Communications Department 2229, route des Crêtes,
              > 06560 Sophia Antipolis, France.
              > e-mail: raphael.troncy@... & raphael.troncy@...
              > Tel: +33 (0)4 - 9300 8242
              > Fax: +33 (0)4 - 9000 8200
              > Web: http://www.eurecom.fr/~troncy/

            • jean delahousse KC
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2012
                Hello,

                Thanks a lot for your very useful help, and for Laurent Le Meur (off) support.
                At the end I switched to a Knowledgeitem schema which was more adapted to the message I needed to create. I now describe several events as concepts in a single XML file, add a qcode to each concept and describe a narrower relationship between the first event and the following ones.

                I'll come back to you when the project will be operationnal to give you feedback on the overall implementation of NewsML, EventML, URI, SKOS and Schema.org for the web publication...

                Jean Delahousse

                2012/1/26 Michael Steidl (IPTC) <mdirector@...>

[...]

                From the main event description

                Directeur Associé, KnowledgeConsult  http://knowledgeconsult.com