A Standard Vocabulary for Format in NewsML-G2 remoteContent?

  • Stuart Myles
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2012
      [NOTE: Cross-posted to both the newscodes and the newsml-g2 lists]

      We've been looking at how to populate the NewsML-G2 remoteContent attributes of @contenttype (defined as "The IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) MIME type of the target resource") and @format (defined as "A refinement of a generic content type (i.e. IANA MIME type)"). What vocabulary are providers using to populate the @format?

      <scheme alias="frmt" uri="http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/format/" />

      However, the http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/format/ vocabulary is listed on  http://www.iptc.org/cms/site/index.html?channel=CH0103#newsml1ncd as being a vocabulary only for use within NewsML 1.X. OK, leaving that aside for a moment, there are some formats that I might want to point to remotely (e.g. Microsoft Word or Excel or AVI or SportsML) that don't have a ready mapping in the http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/format/ vocabulary.

      So, should we expand the http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/format/ vocabulary? Or create one that is specific to G2? Or do all providers just make up their own vocabularies?

      Regards,

      Stuart