RE: [newsml-g2] What does "mandatory scheme" means and how to deal with need for extension?

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2011
      Hi Philippe

      You are right: mandatory means that only this CV has to be used with a
      property - in this case a concept from the Nature of a NewsItem with the
      itemClass property of any G2 NewsItem.

      The reason is interoperability. IPTC standards are made to ease the exchange
      of news (and related content) and one of the goals for G2 is that a receiver
      of NewsItems from different providers gets something very, very similar.
      The members of the Nature of a NewsItem CV have been extensively discussed
      by the members of the IPTC G2 development group and they reflect what is
      currently out on the market, I have to admit we did not encounter
      holographic four dimensional odorant content so far.
      As I know that you are working of an IPTC member I can only remind you and
      that member that if something beyond the current specifications is required
      then a change request should be posted, then it will be discussed and
      finally voted on. That's the way how IPTC standards are maintained.

      Kind regards,

      Managing Director of the IPTC [mdirector@...]
      Web: www.iptc.org - on Twitter @IPTC
      Business office address:
      20 Garrick Street, London WC2E 9BT, United Kingdom
      Registered in England, company no 101096