RE: [newsml-g2] What does "mandatory scheme" means and how to deal with need for extension?

  • dave.compton@thomsonreuters.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2011

      Hi

      > Does the "mandatory" word here means that I must not use another scheme (e.g. a second scheme of my own creation)?

      Yes. The aim is that, where possible, a consistent scheme should be used – especially for the schemes that relate to important processing/filtering: ninat, stat etc.

      > If so, how would you approach my need to characterize a document with a nature of document which isn't yet supported by the scheme (e.g., an holographic four dimensional odorant document) and that must be processed by a dedicated workflow?

      There are two approaches here:

      a/ check whether your proposed ‘new scheme value’ could be represented as i/ an existing scheme value, plus ii/ a disambiguation property of some sort.

      b/ request that your additional value be added to the existing IPTC scheme – the standard is subject to ongoing curation and enhancement.

      Hope this helps.

      Regards

      Dave Compton
      Senior Technologist.

      G2-Standards Technical Owner: NewsML-G2, EventsML-G2.

      Thomson Reuters

      Phone: +44 (0)20 7542 8341
      Mobile: +44 (0) 7990 56 8341

      dave.compton@...
      dave.compton.reuters.com@...
      mediabit38.uki.ime.reuters.com/tmp/users/DJC/ref/
      www.thomsonreuters.com

      www.linkedin.com/in/davecompton

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2011
        Hi Philippe

        You are right: mandatory means that only this CV has to be used with a
        property - in this case a concept from the Nature of a NewsItem with the
        itemClass property of any G2 NewsItem.

        The reason is interoperability. IPTC standards are made to ease the exchange
        of news (and related content) and one of the goals for G2 is that a receiver
        of NewsItems from different providers gets something very, very similar.
        The members of the Nature of a NewsItem CV have been extensively discussed
        by the members of the IPTC G2 development group and they reflect what is
        currently out on the market, I have to admit we did not encounter
        holographic four dimensional odorant content so far.
        As I know that you are working of an IPTC member I can only remind you and
        that member that if something beyond the current specifications is required
        then a change request should be posted, then it will be discussed and
        finally voted on. That's the way how IPTC standards are maintained.

        Kind regards,

        Managing Director of the IPTC [mdirector@...]
        Web: www.iptc.org - on Twitter @IPTC
        Business office address:
        20 Garrick Street, London WC2E 9BT, United Kingdom
        Registered in England, company no 101096