What does "mandatory scheme" means and how to deal with need for extension?

  • Philippe Mougin
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2011
      Hi,

      In the spec, I see that some schemes are specified as "mandatory" for some QCodes-based attributes. For example, for new items, the scheme http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/ninature is specified as mandatory for the qcode attribute of the itemClass element.

      Does the "mandatory" word here means that I must not use another scheme (e.g. a second scheme of my own creation)? If so, how would you approach my need to characterize a document with a nature of document which isn't yet supported by the scheme (e.g., an holographic four dimensional odorant document) and that must be processed by a dedicated workflow?

      Best,
      Philippe
    • dave.compton@thomsonreuters.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2011

        Hi

        > Does the "mandatory" word here means that I must not use another scheme (e.g. a second scheme of my own creation)?

        Yes. The aim is that, where possible, a consistent scheme should be used – especially for the schemes that relate to important processing/filtering: ninat, stat etc.

        > If so, how would you approach my need to characterize a document with a nature of document which isn't yet supported by the scheme (e.g., an holographic four dimensional odorant document) and that must be processed by a dedicated workflow?

        There are two approaches here:

        a/ check whether your proposed ‘new scheme value’ could be represented as i/ an existing scheme value, plus ii/ a disambiguation property of some sort.

        b/ request that your additional value be added to the existing IPTC scheme – the standard is subject to ongoing curation and enhancement.

        Hope this helps.

        Regards

        Dave Compton
        Senior Technologist.

        G2-Standards Technical Owner: NewsML-G2, EventsML-G2.

        Thomson Reuters

        Phone: +44 (0)20 7542 8341
        Mobile: +44 (0) 7990 56 8341

        dave.compton@...
        dave.compton.reuters.com@...
        mediabit38.uki.ime.reuters.com/tmp/users/DJC/ref/
        www.thomsonreuters.com

        www.linkedin.com/in/davecompton

        In the spec, I see that some schemes are specified as "mandatory" for some QCodes-based attributes. For example, for new items, the scheme http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/ninature is specified as mandatory for the qcode attribute of the itemClass element.

        Does the "mandatory" word here means that I must not use another scheme (e.g. a second scheme of my own creation)? If so, how would you approach my need to characterize a document with a nature of document which isn't yet supported by the scheme (e.g., an holographic four dimensional odorant document) and that must be processed by a dedicated workflow?

        Best,
        Philippe

        This email was sent to you by Thomson Reuters, the global news and information company. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Thomson Reuters.
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 29, 2011
          Hi Philippe

          You are right: mandatory means that only this CV has to be used with a
          property - in this case a concept from the Nature of a NewsItem with the
          itemClass property of any G2 NewsItem.

          The reason is interoperability. IPTC standards are made to ease the exchange
          of news (and related content) and one of the goals for G2 is that a receiver
          of NewsItems from different providers gets something very, very similar.
          The members of the Nature of a NewsItem CV have been extensively discussed
          by the members of the IPTC G2 development group and they reflect what is
          currently out on the market, I have to admit we did not encounter
          holographic four dimensional odorant content so far.
          As I know that you are working of an IPTC member I can only remind you and
          that member that if something beyond the current specifications is required
          then a change request should be posted, then it will be discussed and
          finally voted on. That's the way how IPTC standards are maintained.

          Kind regards,

          Managing Director of the IPTC [mdirector@...]
          Web: www.iptc.org - on Twitter @IPTC
          Business office address:
          20 Garrick Street, London WC2E 9BT, United Kingdom
          Registered in England, company no 101096