Help with image captions

  • korympl
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2011
      I need some help adding image captions to our newsML-G2 feed. Currently, we have multiple articles in the feed, with each article having multiple images via remoteContent (like thumbnails, etc.) as follows:

      newsMessage
      itemSet
      newsItem
      itemMeta
      contentMeta
      contentSet
      inlineXML
      remoteContent
      remoteContent
      remoteContent

      The problem is I am not sure how to add the captions. The example in the implementation guide describes adding <description role="drol:caption"> to the contentMeta. However, the contentMeta in this case is for the article. Each image (remoteContent) can have a different caption. For example, there could be 5 images associated with an article, as well as 5 thumbnails for those images.

      My instinct tells me that perhaps I need to somehow provide a contentMeta for each remoteContent, but I am not sure how to do that since contentSet is already being used.

      Any suggestions?
    • korympl
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 26, 2011
        Just to clarify since it looks like the spaces didn't come through:

        newsMessage
        -itemSet
        --newsItem
        ---itemMeta
        ---contentMeta
        ---contentSet
        ----inlineXML
        ----remoteContent
        ----remoteContent
        ----remoteContent

        --- In newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com, "korympl" <mlong@...> wrote:

        > I need some help adding image captions to our newsML-G2 feed. Currently, we have multiple articles in the feed, with each article having multiple images via remoteContent (like thumbnails, etc.) as follows:
        >
        > newsMessage
        > itemSet
        > newsItem
        > itemMeta
        > contentMeta
        > contentSet
        > inlineXML
        > remoteContent
        > remoteContent
        > remoteContent
        >
        > The problem is I am not sure how to add the captions. The example in the implementation guide describes adding <description role="drol:caption"> to the contentMeta. However, the contentMeta in this case is for the article. Each image (remoteContent) can have a different caption. For example, there could be 5 images associated with an article, as well as 5 thumbnails for those images.
        >
        > My instinct tells me that perhaps I need to somehow provide a contentMeta for each remoteContent, but I am not sure how to do that since contentSet is already being used.
        >
        > Any suggestions?

      • John Evans
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 26, 2011

          Hi Korympl,

          It sounds like you are not quite grasping the nature of a newsItem.

          It cannot have different images in the remotecontent section. By definition, a newsItem is a distinct representation of news. Two renditions of the same image (thumbnail, high res) are portraying the same piece of news so can be in the same newitem. They also share the same caption.

          Different images in the same feed would each have a newsItem, all of which can be in a packageItem.

          It sounds like your “article” is a packageItem, with various image newsitems as well as a text newsItem.

          Hope this helps.

          Kind regards

          John Evans
          Managing Director
          Transtel Communications ltd
          www.Transtel.com

          Just to clarify since it looks like the spaces didn't come through:

          newsMessage
          -itemSet
          --newsItem
          ---itemMeta
          ---contentMeta
          ---contentSet
          ----inlineXML
          ----remoteContent
          ----remoteContent
          ----remoteContent

          --- In newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com, "korympl" <mlong@...> wrote:

          > I need some help adding image captions to our newsML-G2 feed. Currently, we have multiple articles in the feed, with each article having multiple images via remoteContent (like thumbnails, etc.) as follows:
          >
          > newsMessage
          > itemSet
          > newsItem
          > itemMeta
          > contentMeta
          > contentSet
          > inlineXML
          > remoteContent
          > remoteContent
          > remoteContent
          >
          > The problem is I am not sure how to add the captions. The example in the implementation guide describes adding <description role="drol:caption"> to the contentMeta. However, the contentMeta in this case is for the article. Each image (remoteContent) can have a different caption. For example, there could be 5 images associated with an article, as well as 5 thumbnails for those images.
          >
          > My instinct tells me that perhaps I need to somehow provide a contentMeta for each remoteContent, but I am not sure how to do that since contentSet is already being used.
          >
          > Any suggestions?

        • korympl
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 27, 2011
            So basically, I need to make the images be newsitems and then combine the whole thing into a package using packageItem, like this?

            <itemSet>
            -<packageItem guid="article_1000">
            --<itemRef residref="article_1000_story"/>
            --<itemRef residref="article_1000_image1"/>
            -</packageItem>
            -<newsitem guid="article_1000_story">
            --<contentMeta>
            ---<headline>sample headline here</headline>
            --</contentMeta>
            --<contentSet>
            ---<inlineXML>body text...</inlineXML>
            --</contentSet>
            -</newsitem>
            -<newsitem guid="article_1000_image1">
            --<contentMeta>
            --<description xml:lang="en" role="drol:caption">Image caption</description>
            --</contentMeta>
            --<contentSet>
            ---<remoteContent href="path to image" />
            --</contentSet>
            -</newsitem>
            -<packageItem guid="article_1001">
            --and so on...

            --- In newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com, John Evans <john@...> wrote:

            > Hi Korympl,
            > It sounds like you are not quite grasping the nature of a newsItem.
            > It cannot have different images in the remotecontent section. By definition, a newsItem is a distinct representation of news. Two renditions of the same image (thumbnail, high res) are portraying the same piece of news so can be in the same newitem. They also share the same caption.
            >
            > Different images in the same feed would each have a newsItem, all of which can be in a packageItem.
            >
            > It sounds like your "article" is a packageItem, with various image newsitems as well as a text newsItem.
            >
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Kind regards
            >
            > John Evans
            > Managing Director
            > Transtel Communications ltd
            > www.Transtel.com

          • John Evans
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 27, 2011

              That model is much better.

              Depending on how you parse things, you can either assume newsitems in the same package are linked, or you can use the link element to explicitly link the article_1000_story with the article_1000_image1.