Extending the semantics and use of the infoSource element- your view please

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2011

      To all members of this group

      – please review and reply as the IPTC developer group would like to have a wider feedback on this proposed change:

      The NewsML-G2 News Item  has the infoSource property under contentMeta. Its current definition is:

      "A party (person or organisation) which originate some information used to create or enhance the content"

      The initial intention behind this property was that it should cover persons who gave hints for a story or the party which issued a press release which contributed to a story etc.

      Now this requirement was raised: there are parties which are known as the source of content as they have taken an action that a content arrived finally at the news provider of this News Item – you see this is a wide open definition as there are many different actions but each of them constitutes a source.

      The G2 developer team proposes now to merge this kind of source into the infoSource property and for this purpose these changes should be applied to its specifications:

      1.       Change the semantics from "A party (person or organisation) which originate some information used to create or enhance the content" to "A party (person or organisation) which originated, modified, enhanced, distributed, aggregated or supplied the content or provided some information used to create or enhance the content."

      2.       Change the data type of the @role attribute from QCode to QCodeList

      3.       Add this to the specifications of the property: "If no @role is applied the info source provided some information used to create or enhance the content."

      In addition: the IPTC will create a CV for the @role attribute to reflect many roles an info source could have.

      If you are planning to use infoSource or if you are already using it or if you would simply like to respond to this change: please post your comments to this Yahoo group as soon as possible.

      Thank you.

      Managing Director of the IPTC [mdirector@...]

      Web:
      www.iptc.org - on Twitter @IPTC

      Business office address:

      20 Garrick Street, London WC2E 9BT, United Kingdom

      Registered in England, company no 101096

    • Darko Gulija
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12, 2011
        I think it is a change in the right direction.

        When I implemented formatter for press releases service for Hina few years ago, I had trouble finding proper place for the source of the press release because it did not fit wel in the semantics of the old definition.

        I put it there in the end becase it was the closest match.

        I'm glad we have fixed it now (although I'm not sure whether they are using G2 to send press releases to anyone).

        Best regards,
        Darko