Nationality

  • Paul Harman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 10, 2011

      I’m working on capturing a database of newsworthy people based on PA’s sport, political and film databases. I’ll be modelling people as G2 conceptItems. I was wondering if a common approach for declaring someone’s nationality had become the de facto standard approach? personDetails doesn’t have anything directly relevant; contactInfo doesn’t seem like the right way to go about it.

      I’m presuming we could use <related> with a bornIn relationship to an ISO country code. I’m happy to create my own vocabulary for this kind of relationship (or perhaps adopt one e.g. from FOAF or similar) in lieu of an IPTC vocabulary. I can’t see anything suitable in the NewsCodes section of the IPTC site.

                      Paul

      This email is from the Press Association. For more information, see www.pressassociation.com. This email may contain confidential information. Only the addressee is permitted to read, copy, distribute or otherwise use this email or any attachments. If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately. Any opinion expressed in this email is personal to the sender and may not reflect the opinion of the Press Association. Any email reply to this address may be subject to interception or monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.
    • misha.wolf@thomsonreuters.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10, 2011

        Hi Paul,

        You seem to be discussing two topics, which have a fuzzy relationship:

        -  a person’s nationality/nationalities

        -  a person’s country of birth

        And then you mention a 3rd thing which is how to represent a country.

        Hmm ...

        Misha

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2011

          Is there an approved G2 way to do either of the first 2 things?

          I’m assuming that using ISO country codes is not too contentious.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10, 2011

            Not that I know of but I suggest that they are kept distinct.

            All relationships should use QCodes.  It’s up to you how you form your QCodes, eg using ISO Country codes.  You do need to decide which of the three ISO Country codes to use.  The IPTC provides URIs for both the alpha variants:

                http://cvx.iptc.org/

            Misha

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 14, 2011

              Paul

              By a recent NAR version the recommended way of expressing relationships like these is to use the <related> property with a corresponding @rel value.

              The G2 developer group is constantly asking of there are requirements for shared vocabularies, currently there is no Concept Relationship CV. If basic properties of persons and other entities should go into such a CV the developer group would start discussing it. Do you suggest them?

              Michael