Introducing schema.org: Search engines come together for a richer web ...

  • misha.wolf@thomsonreuters.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2011

      See:

      Today we’re announcing schema.org, a new initiative from Google, Bing and Yahoo! to create and support a common set of schemas for structured data markup on web pages. Schema.org aims to be a one stop resource for webmasters looking to add markup to their pages to help search engines better understand their websites. [...]

      At:

      http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2011/06/introducing-schemaorg-search-engines.html

      Misha

    • Stuart Myles
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2011

        Today on http://schema.org, Googe, Yahoo! and Microsoft have released their “collection of schemas, i.e., html tags, that webmasters can use to markup their pages in ways recognized by major search providers. Search engines including Bing, Google and Yahoo! rely on this markup to improve the display of search results, making it easier for people to find the right web pages.”

        http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2011/06/introducing-schemaorg-search-engines.html

        This is essentially semantic markup – but it doesn’t use RDFa or microformats but HTML5 microdata. So, a natural question is – what does this mean for the IPTC’s work on rNews?

        If you look at http://www.schema.org/NewsArticle you’ll see that the schema.org model is essentially a subset of the current rNews model. We have been working on an RDFa markup implementation of the rNews model, and we still see that as valuable. However, even before today’s schema.org announcement, we’ve been getting feedback that other markup implementations of rNews would be important for the most widespread adoption of rNews. This is consistent with the original charter for the IPTC’s Semantic Web work and so it is natural for us to support microdata alongside other ways to represent rNews. The key is for us to ensure that the rNews model itself remain neutral so that publishers can select the markup technologies that work best for them.

        The IPTC has reached out to the folks working on schema.org and we plan to align their properties with rNews and add others that were missing at launch. They recognize that we bring news industry knowledge to the table and we look forward to jointly driving adoption of both sets of work - schema.org and rNews.

        Regards,

        Stuart Myles, Evan Sandhaus, Andreas Gebhard

        On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM, <misha.wolf@...> wrote:

        See:

        Today we’re announcing schema.org, a new initiative from Google, Bing and Yahoo! to create and support a common set of schemas for structured data markup on web pages. Schema.org aims to be a one stop resource for webmasters looking to add markup to their pages to help search engines better understand their websites. [...]

        At:

        http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2011/06/introducing-schemaorg-search-engines.html

        Misha

      • Raphaël Troncy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2011
          > This is essentially semantic markup – but it doesn’t use RDFa or
          > microformats but HTML5 microdata. So, a natural question is – what does
          > this mean for the IPTC’s work on rNews?

          Not exactly. See http://schema.org/docs/datamodel.html for the mapping
          in RDFa 1.1. The post acks the fact that you have 3 technologies
          available (microformats, rdfa and microdata) and that search engines use
          to handle those three. This will not stop. Microdata is not a
          recommendation, and it is very controversial in HTML5. RDFa is much more
          stable from my point of view, and more importantly, _extensible_.

          > If you look at http://www.schema.org/NewsArticle you’ll see that the
          > schema.org <http://schema.org> model is essentially a subset of the
          > current rNews model. We have been working on an RDFa markup
          > implementation of the rNews model, and we still see that as valuable.
          > However, even before today’s schema.org <http://schema.org>
          > announcement, we’ve been getting feedback that other markup
          > implementations of rNews would be important for the most widespread
          > adoption of rNews. This is consistent with the original charter for the
          > IPTC’s Semantic Web work and so it is natural for us to support
          > microdata alongside other ways to represent rNews. The key is for us to
          > ensure that the rNews model itself remain neutral so that publishers can
          > select the markup technologies that work best for them.

          I personally see schema.org as another vocab to establish mappings to do
          ... and I have started to do so.

          Raphaël

          --
          Raphaël Troncy
          2229, route des Crêtes, 06560 Sophia Antipolis, France.
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2011
            That's exactly the right question --- one that each implementor of rNews
            needs to answer for her/himself.

            That's why I believe it's important for us to continue on a path that
            leads to the (ideally generally accepted) rNews Schema and then one or
            more suggested implementations.

            Truthfully, if someone needs better content management in their own
            website, I don't see how rNews is going to help them. But we did set out
            with the idea to make our content better for search engines (be they GBY
            or Facebook & Twitter) to understand in order to link to it in a more
            meaningful way.

            An rNews implementation in RDFa holds the inherent promise that it could
            also facilitate exchange between websites pretty well. That's not clear
            with Microdata. But if (and that can be interpreted in many ways, as
            Raphaël pointed out below) GBY say they only want to see Microdata and GBY
            are an implementor's main concern, then it seems to be a prudent choice
            for us (as an organization concerned with the success of our industry) to
            offer an rNews implementation in Microdata.

            Andreas