RE: [newsml-g2] MIME types and NewsMessage

  • Artur Ortega
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
      Hi Philippe,

      You probably can use the registered MIME type:

      text/vnd.IPTC.NewsML

      Best regards

      Artur
      --
      Artur Ortega
      Accessibility Evangelist

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
        Hi Philippe and Artur

        - the G2 News Message is only a light weight wrapper for the conveyed items.
        As the http request or response has no MIME-type - only the content conveyed
        by it - the News Message has none too, was our thinking.

        - but I understand your use case, Philippe: you wrap the News Message by a
        http response, so the http response should carry a MIME type. At the moment
        I recommend using application/xml - and we at the IPTC will consider
        defining a MIME type for the NewsMessage.

        - Artur: please don't use text/vnd.IPTC.NewsML as this MIME type is strongly
        linked to the NewsML 1 XML items - but NewsML-G2 items are not identical to
        them.

        Any further inquiries or comments are welcome.

        Managing Director of the IPTC <mdirector@...>
        International Press Telecommunications Council - http://www.iptc.org/
        Business office address:
        20 Garrick Street, London WC2E 9BT, United Kingdom
        Registered in England, company no 101096

      • Philippe Mougin
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2011
          Ah, I see. Thanks for thoughtful your answer. Registering a MIME type for NewsMessage would indeed be very useful for exchanging them over HTTP, since, in the general case, application/xml might not be enough for the receiver to determine how to process the message.
          My specific use case also make me think about another option : I'm using a NewsMessage because it can convey an <itemSet/>. I'm not interested (in this use case) by the other characteristics of NewsMessage. The notion of itemSet, a collection of items, seems pretty fundamental and useful in itself. Would that make sense to promote it to a "top level" item (like conceptItem, packageItem, etc.) with its own MIME type? Or maybe that would just amount to reinvent the wheel and we would be better off using ATOM (with items inside) or even HTTP multipart messages...

          Best,

          Philippe Mougin

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2011
            Hi Philippe
            Re your thoughts around <itemSet/>:

            First to say: you point at multiple existing solutions for wrapping a bunch
            of items, so the IPTC thought that there is no real need for such a wrapper
            and only in a final round before releasing the G2 Standards the News Message
            was defined - just to make the family picture complete.

            What were our thoughts behind conveying multiple items:

            * In NewsML 1 the IPTC designed the news item as a wrapper of news
            components which again could be the wrapper of more news components. But
            this design was not well received for formal reasons: it results in nested
            XML structures and if such an XML Schema is handed over to wizards creating
            e.g. internal structures for a database (MS SQL Server, Oracle, IBM) they
            are screwed up by these recursive structures.
            What you propose below comes close to this design and you will understand
            that we only make a mistake once.

            * In NewsML-G2 we made a strict decision: items of content can be structured
            by a Package Item, but a Package Item never contains the content of the
            items, it only references news items or concept items - or even other
            package items. This leaves the issue open: ok, how to convey the package
            item and the items it points to? And that's what the News Message can be
            used for. Its itemSet can wrap the package item and all the referenced
            items. (Btw: you could actually do the same with e.g. a ZIP file as
            "wrapper" - to add one more option to what you have listed below. )

            * The only little exception from this rule is the Knowledge Item: it is made
            to convey a bunch of concepts which may be extracted from Concept Items. But
            a Knowledge Item only allows a flat structure and can wrap concepts only,
            not e.g. articles, photos, etc.

            I hope this helps to understand our design.

            Regards

          • Philippe Mougin
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2011
              Thank you Michael. Very useful perspective on the G2 design.