MIME types and NewsMessage

  • Philippe
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
      Hello,

      I intend to transmit, over HTTP, a number of G2 items packed together (a package item and the referenced concept items). A NewsMessage seems to be a good candidate for that, as it provide an <itemset/> tag for bundling together multiple items.
      However, it seems that there is no registered media type for NewsMessage. Is there a reason for that? Should I fallback to application/xml ?
      Thanks.
      Philippe Mougin
    • Artur Ortega
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
        Hi Philippe,

        You probably can use the registered MIME type:

        text/vnd.IPTC.NewsML

        Best regards

        Artur
        --
        Artur Ortega
        Accessibility Evangelist

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
          Hi Philippe and Artur

          - the G2 News Message is only a light weight wrapper for the conveyed items.
          As the http request or response has no MIME-type - only the content conveyed
          by it - the News Message has none too, was our thinking.

          - but I understand your use case, Philippe: you wrap the News Message by a
          http response, so the http response should carry a MIME type. At the moment
          I recommend using application/xml - and we at the IPTC will consider
          defining a MIME type for the NewsMessage.

          - Artur: please don't use text/vnd.IPTC.NewsML as this MIME type is strongly
          linked to the NewsML 1 XML items - but NewsML-G2 items are not identical to
          them.

          Any further inquiries or comments are welcome.

          Managing Director of the IPTC <mdirector@...>
          International Press Telecommunications Council - http://www.iptc.org/
          Business office address:
          20 Garrick Street, London WC2E 9BT, United Kingdom
          Registered in England, company no 101096

        • Philippe Mougin
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2011
            Ah, I see. Thanks for thoughtful your answer. Registering a MIME type for NewsMessage would indeed be very useful for exchanging them over HTTP, since, in the general case, application/xml might not be enough for the receiver to determine how to process the message.
            My specific use case also make me think about another option : I'm using a NewsMessage because it can convey an <itemSet/>. I'm not interested (in this use case) by the other characteristics of NewsMessage. The notion of itemSet, a collection of items, seems pretty fundamental and useful in itself. Would that make sense to promote it to a "top level" item (like conceptItem, packageItem, etc.) with its own MIME type? Or maybe that would just amount to reinvent the wheel and we would be better off using ATOM (with items inside) or even HTTP multipart messages...

            Best,

            Philippe Mougin

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2011
              Hi Philippe
              Re your thoughts around <itemSet/>:

              First to say: you point at multiple existing solutions for wrapping a bunch
              of items, so the IPTC thought that there is no real need for such a wrapper
              and only in a final round before releasing the G2 Standards the News Message
              was defined - just to make the family picture complete.

              What were our thoughts behind conveying multiple items:

              * In NewsML 1 the IPTC designed the news item as a wrapper of news
              components which again could be the wrapper of more news components. But
              this design was not well received for formal reasons: it results in nested
              XML structures and if such an XML Schema is handed over to wizards creating
              e.g. internal structures for a database (MS SQL Server, Oracle, IBM) they
              are screwed up by these recursive structures.
              What you propose below comes close to this design and you will understand
              that we only make a mistake once.

              * In NewsML-G2 we made a strict decision: items of content can be structured
              by a Package Item, but a Package Item never contains the content of the
              items, it only references news items or concept items - or even other
              package items. This leaves the issue open: ok, how to convey the package
              item and the items it points to? And that's what the News Message can be
              used for. Its itemSet can wrap the package item and all the referenced
              items. (Btw: you could actually do the same with e.g. a ZIP file as
              "wrapper" - to add one more option to what you have listed below. )

              * The only little exception from this rule is the Knowledge Item: it is made
              to convey a bunch of concepts which may be extracted from Concept Items. But
              a Knowledge Item only allows a flat structure and can wrap concepts only,
              not e.g. articles, photos, etc.

              I hope this helps to understand our design.

              Regards

            • Philippe Mougin
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 6, 2011
                Thank you Michael. Very useful perspective on the G2 design.