RE: [newsml-g2] Catalog and Concept Resolution

  • misha.wolf@thomsonreuters.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2010
      Hi Lino,

      Some of this is acceptable and some not.

      The resolution of URIs representing concepts is not mandatory.

      On the other hand, your scheme URIs are not acceptable.

      Schemes must not be confused with KnowledgeItems. They are completely different animals.

      A KnowledgeItem is an XML file used to deliver some stuff. It's location could change from day to day.

      A scheme and the associated codes are a permanent way of representing concepts.

      Your scheme URIs must end with "/" or "#" or "?" (or some variant such as "?code="), eg:

      http://www.example.com/RelTyp/

      http://www.example.com/RelTyp#

      http://www.example.com/RelTyp?

      http://www.example.com/RelTyp?code=

      This is in no way related to the location at which one might find a KnowledgeItem.

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2010
        Hi Misha,

        If I understand your point correctly, the URI need not be an URL but rather more like a URN. In that case a Release Type of say "PressRelease" need not resolve in a browser and would function more like a unique identifier, e.g.:

        http://www.example.com/RelTyp/PressRelease

        Regards
        Lino

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2010
          Hi Lino,

          I don't get your point re URLs/URNs/URIs.

          It is certainly true that every QCode must correspond to a unique URI.

          This allows one to, for example, build triples using these URIs.

          If I understand your point correctly, the URI need not be an URL but
          rather more like a URN. In that case a Release Type of say
          "PressRelease" need not resolve in a browser and would function more
          like a unique identifier, e.g.:

          http://www.example.com/RelTyp/PressRelease

          Regards
          Lino

          --- In newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com, <misha.wolf@...> wrote:

          > Hi Lino,
          >
          > Some of this is acceptable and some not.
          >
          > The resolution of URIs representing concepts is not mandatory.
          >
          > On the other hand, your scheme URIs are not acceptable.
          >
          > Schemes must not be confused with KnowledgeItems. They are completely
          different animals.

          > A KnowledgeItem is an XML file used to deliver some stuff. It's
          location could change from day to day.

          > A scheme and the associated codes are a permanent way of representing
          concepts.

          > Your scheme URIs must end with "/" or "#" or "?" (or some variant such
          as "?code="), eg:

          > http://www.example.com/RelTyp/
          >
          > http://www.example.com/RelTyp#
          >
          > http://www.example.com/RelTyp?
          >
          > http://www.example.com/RelTyp?code=
          >
          > This is in no way related to the location at which one might find a
          KnowledgeItem.

          > Regards,
          > Misha

        • lino_sg
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2010
            Hi Misha,

            My point on the URLs/URNs/URIs was that URI is a made up of the set of {URL;URN} - so a QCode can be Uniform Resource Name (URN) - no resolution to web location; or be a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) - i.e. that can resolve to a web address.

            Regards
            Lionel

            Regardless, I understand your point and how to

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 8, 2010
              Hi Lino

              - the part of the NewsML-G2 specs (v 2.4) corresponding to your question is
              in chapter 7 "Dealing with Controlled Vocabularies"

              I copy a paragraph from section 7.1:

              "Therefore the scheme URI SHOULD resolve to a resource (or resources)
              containing information about
              the scheme in both human-readable and machine-readable forms. Meeting this
              requirement is mandatory
              for schemes which are to be compliant with the Semantic Web."

              Conclusion:
              - you may use URNs - but in this case the Concept URIs will not be compliant
              with Semantic Web technologies.
              - you may use URLs - in this case the Concept URIs are compliant with
              Semantic Web technologies - but it is not mandatorily required that you
              provide a server that resolves the URL to a response with data about the
              concept.

              Re the format of the Scheme URIs:

              My views on the format of the Scheme URIs is:
              - Misha a completely right about how a Scheme URI must end: either "/" or
              "#" or "?"
              - but this rule might be applied even to Knowledge Item files - this way:
              -- http://www.jse.co.za/is/sens/newsml/cv/ncdki-sens.xml# <<- use a fragment
              separator!
              -- the latest version of NewsML-G2 = v 2.7 (a fully documented public
              version will be available in November, currently it is only available as
              Developer Version at http://www.iptc.org/std/NewsML-G2/2.7/specification/ )
              added an @id attribute to the <concept> elements of a Knowledge Item. As any
              string to the right of a fragment identifier addresses a section identified
              by this string as its @id value this format could, even should work:

              http://www.jse.co.za/is/sens/newsml/cv/ncdki-sens.xml#code221

              http://www.jse.co.za/is/sens/newsml/cv/ncdki-sens.xml#code9ac4

              BUT: using this format you MUST use a distinct knowledge item file for each
              scheme, you MUST NOT use a single one for all schemes.

              Further: you may have to think about which formats are supported by using
              this mechanism - the IPTC specs say "HTTP content negotiation" (using the
              "accept" header of the HTTP request) should be used to select a specific
              format. You may think about this mechanism:
              - if text/html is in the accept header then you apply an XSLT to make HTML
              out of the Knowledge Item
              - if application/vnd.iptc.g2.knowledgeitem+xml (MIME type for the knowledge
              item, see section 10.2.2 of the spec document) is in the accept header the
              return the XML from the Knowledge Item.

              I'm not an expert in tweaking all kinds of web servers but from what I've
              heard it should not be impossible to implement this behaviour.

            • lino_sg
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 11, 2010
                Hi Michael,

                Based on your view, it will make sense for us to make the URI a URL even if we don't provide a resolution mechanism and the roadmap the semantic web compliance in terms of resolving the URI via an HTTP request.

                We will be using a single KI so the second suggestion regarding the version 2.7 of the standard cannot be used in our implementation but is an interesting development.

                Thanks for the detailed feedback.

                Regards
                Lionel