Catalog and Concept Resolution

  • lino_sg
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2010
      Hi,

      I'm trying to establish if the following simplified implementation of catalog and concept resolution would be valid according to G2 standard (even if some G2 recommendations are not followed):

      1. All the corporate concepts are defined in a single Knowledge Item called ncdki-sens.xml.

      2. The corporate web site has a page for NewsML (as given by additionalInfo) explaining the G2 implementation and having hyperlinks to download the catalog and knowledge Item XML files.

      3. The functionality of appending the QCode value suffix to the Scheme URI to retrieve the Concept URI would NOT be provided.

      4. A human readable version of the concepts (e.g. on a web page) would also not be provided.

      Sample catalog with two concepts: Release Type (RelTyp) and Service Type (SrvType):

      catalog xmlns="http://iptc.org/std/nar/2006-10-01/" additionalInfo="http://www.jse.co.za/is/sens/newsml/catalog/senscataloginfo">
      <title>SENS G2 Catalog, 2010-11-01</title>
      <scheme alias="RelTyp" uri="http://www.jse.co.za/is/sens/newsml/cv/ncdki-sens.xml/" />
      <scheme alias="SrvTyp" uri="http://www.jse.co.za/is/sens/newsml/cv/ncdki-sens.xml/" />
      </catalog>

      Thanks
      Lino
    • misha.wolf@thomsonreuters.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2010
        Hi Lino,

        Some of this is acceptable and some not.

        The resolution of URIs representing concepts is not mandatory.

        On the other hand, your scheme URIs are not acceptable.

        Schemes must not be confused with KnowledgeItems. They are completely different animals.

        A KnowledgeItem is an XML file used to deliver some stuff. It's location could change from day to day.

        A scheme and the associated codes are a permanent way of representing concepts.

        Your scheme URIs must end with "/" or "#" or "?" (or some variant such as "?code="), eg:

        http://www.example.com/RelTyp/

        http://www.example.com/RelTyp#

        http://www.example.com/RelTyp?

        http://www.example.com/RelTyp?code=

        This is in no way related to the location at which one might find a KnowledgeItem.

[...]

        ------------------------------------

        Any member of this IPTC moderated Yahoo group must comply with the Intellectual Property Policy of the IPTC, available at http://www.iptc.org/goto/ipp. Any posting is assumed to be submitted under the conditions of this IPTC IP Policy.
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • lino_sg
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2010
          Hi Misha,

          If I understand your point correctly, the URI need not be an URL but rather more like a URN. In that case a Release Type of say "PressRelease" need not resolve in a browser and would function more like a unique identifier, e.g.:

          http://www.example.com/RelTyp/PressRelease

          Regards
          Lino

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2010
            Hi Lino,

            I don't get your point re URLs/URNs/URIs.

            It is certainly true that every QCode must correspond to a unique URI.

            This allows one to, for example, build triples using these URIs.

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7, 2010
              Hi Misha,

              My point on the URLs/URNs/URIs was that URI is a made up of the set of {URL;URN} - so a QCode can be Uniform Resource Name (URN) - no resolution to web location; or be a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) - i.e. that can resolve to a web address.

              Regards
              Lionel

              Regardless, I understand your point and how to

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 8, 2010
                Hi Lino

                - the part of the NewsML-G2 specs (v 2.4) corresponding to your question is
                in chapter 7 "Dealing with Controlled Vocabularies"

                I copy a paragraph from section 7.1:

                "Therefore the scheme URI SHOULD resolve to a resource (or resources)
                containing information about
                the scheme in both human-readable and machine-readable forms. Meeting this
                requirement is mandatory
                for schemes which are to be compliant with the Semantic Web."

                Conclusion:
                - you may use URNs - but in this case the Concept URIs will not be compliant
                with Semantic Web technologies.
                - you may use URLs - in this case the Concept URIs are compliant with
                Semantic Web technologies - but it is not mandatorily required that you
                provide a server that resolves the URL to a response with data about the
                concept.

                Re the format of the Scheme URIs:

                My views on the format of the Scheme URIs is:
                - Misha a completely right about how a Scheme URI must end: either "/" or
                "#" or "?"
                - but this rule might be applied even to Knowledge Item files - this way:
                -- http://www.jse.co.za/is/sens/newsml/cv/ncdki-sens.xml# <<- use a fragment
                separator!
                -- the latest version of NewsML-G2 = v 2.7 (a fully documented public
                version will be available in November, currently it is only available as
                Developer Version at http://www.iptc.org/std/NewsML-G2/2.7/specification/ )
                added an @id attribute to the <concept> elements of a Knowledge Item. As any
                string to the right of a fragment identifier addresses a section identified
                by this string as its @id value this format could, even should work:

                http://www.jse.co.za/is/sens/newsml/cv/ncdki-sens.xml#code221

                http://www.jse.co.za/is/sens/newsml/cv/ncdki-sens.xml#code9ac4

                BUT: using this format you MUST use a distinct knowledge item file for each
                scheme, you MUST NOT use a single one for all schemes.

                Further: you may have to think about which formats are supported by using
                this mechanism - the IPTC specs say "HTTP content negotiation" (using the
                "accept" header of the HTTP request) should be used to select a specific
                format. You may think about this mechanism:
                - if text/html is in the accept header then you apply an XSLT to make HTML
                out of the Knowledge Item
                - if application/vnd.iptc.g2.knowledgeitem+xml (MIME type for the knowledge
                item, see section 10.2.2 of the spec document) is in the accept header the
                return the XML from the Knowledge Item.

                I'm not an expert in tweaking all kinds of web servers but from what I've
                heard it should not be impossible to implement this behaviour.

              • lino_sg
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 11, 2010
                  Hi Michael,

                  Based on your view, it will make sense for us to make the URI a URL even if we don't provide a resolution mechanism and the roadmap the semantic web compliance in terms of resolving the URI via an HTTP request.

                  We will be using a single KI so the second suggestion regarding the version 2.7 of the standard cannot be used in our implementation but is an interesting development.

                  Thanks for the detailed feedback.

                  Regards
                  Lionel